Marriott

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.6

Front Desk Agent Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marriott.

They had a "career fair." Reviewed my resume and was interviewed on the spot. Nothing difficult. A lot of the questions are available online for typical interviews. They required a background check, which was done in two days and I received a phone call stating I would receive a formal email. The job was mine if I wanted it.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected or difficult. I think the most difficult thing was explaining a negative situation and seeing a positive outcome.   Answer Question
    Given start rate is $9.25

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marriott.

Process is very simple. Look for the job postings, apply, allow them to call you back. Once hired if you have an excellent HR department they have everything streamlined and you are really set up for success to join the property.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult, but pay attention to the questions that may lead you into knowing a little about the current state of the department or hotel, this will be a great clue and chance for you to ask questions about current work environment and the vision of your role.   Answer Question
    Company has pay guidelines, you will be paid fairly for the industry, the market you are working in, and your experience.

Assistant General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marriott.

Was not bad at all. Got a call and had a quick phone interview. Afterwards I was contacted by the GM to come in for an interview. Waited for about a week before being setup with another interview with the Area Manager. The process was simple and took 2 weeks.

Straight forward, take it or leave it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Marriott.

The general manager I interviewed with was incredibly friendly and professional. The process was quick and easy, and I heard back the same day. After working for a Carlson franchise, Marriott seems to be much more well organized and professional. The GM made sure I knew that there is plenty of room to grow and move around in the company.

Interview Questions
    Job offered starting at $10/hr. No negotiations. Talk as much as possible about past hotel experience and be big on customer service. It also helps if you can find common ground with the interviewer, like knowing the same people.

Pool Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marriott in September 2014.

Easy, little room, a scribe, a hiring manager, sat me down, asked about 15 questions, connected with them, asked questions to them, done. called back 2 weeks later and asked if I wanted to accept the job.

Interview Questions
    • What was my attitude towards a problem at home while I was at work.   View Answer
    Easy, accepted then I scheduled my drug test, and done.

Guest Service Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Marriott in September 2014.

I applied online with an employee referral and I heard from them within three business days. I went to the hotel and had an hour interview with the operations manager. It was a pretty standard interview - asked me about my strengths/weaknesses, why I want to be part of Marriott, where I see myself in 5 years within the company, how can my previous experience help me with the job, an example of challenging situation with my co-worker and how I dealt with it, etc. The interview lasted about an hour and took place in the hotel lobby. I thought it was a positive interview, the operations manager was very friendly, and he immediately told me at the end he thought I would be a great fit and wanted me to come back for a second interview with the general manager.

The following week, I returned to the hotel and had my second interview. He was the person I had to really impress, but at the end of the day, I was just myself. I joked around & was very honest with my answers. He definitely asked more challenging questions than the first round and it was geared more towards who I am as a person rather than an employee. (Work-wise, though, he did ask what was the worst manager I had and why was he/she the worst)? He asked what are the top three things your family/co-workers would positively say about you and also top three things they would say that you could work on.

Overall, a very positive experience. He offered me the job right on the spot and told me he wanted me to work there. I even negotiated my way into a full-time job with him (it was originally a part-time job, with the opportunity to become full-time, but I was incredibly adamant saying I needed and wanted a full-time job). He gave in and said, "Okay - you want a full time job? I'll give it to you." Wow! Awesome.

He left and the operations manager came to meet me. He went over the next steps and the pay! Wowzers, was the pay low! I told him I would have to think about it. I called him back a few days later to negotiate the pay, and he said he would have to talk to the general manager (who was gone for the weekend). I thought I had the upper hand in the situation since both managers seemed to really like me and think I was a good fit for the team, in addition - I found out through them that they were incredibly understaffed! Come on, it's Marriott - it's not the local motel down the street - they can afford to pay me more. However, they got back to me the next day and said they could only pay what they originally offered. What a shame. You would think they could negotiate. I declined.

Interview Questions
    • What are your top three personal qualities that you need or want to change about yourself? (i.e. putting yourself first all the time, close-minded, demanding, etc).   Answer Question

The pay was too low. I tried to negotiate, but they were not even willing to meet me halfway or raise it at all.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marriott in September 2014.

I applied through my school and got selected for an interview. There was an information session the day before where they explained the program and the different brands then gave some insight into how the interview would be structured and potential questions. At the interview they went through my resume and then asked a bunch of behavioral questions - basically, "tell me a situation where XYZ happened and how did you handle it". After the interview I was sent an online assessment to complete and then waited a little over two weeks to hear if I had been invited into the second round of interviews where they fly you out to one of their hotels for kind of like a conference for interviewees. I ended up not getting asked to the second round.

One of the major problems I had with the interview process was the disorganization that there seemed to be overall. After applying, I didn't find out that I had been selected to do an interview until the day of the info session, which was a day before the scheduled interviews. I'm a pretty busy person so this gave me very little time to prepare and also interfered with my other activities at school due to it being so last minute. At the info session, the recruiter spent almost the entire time on the brands and ended up rushing through the rest of her slides at the end of the hour. Also, for my interview, I had to wait almost an hour past my scheduled interview time because the woman I was supposed to interview with took so long with the previous interviewee (I ended up just interviewing with the other recruiter that was there, I think she felt bad that I had been sitting so long). After my interview I was told that I would be receiving the online assessment via email by the end of the day (Friday) and, after still not receiving the assessment, I had to email the recruiter on Sunday to follow up and request they send it to me, which they did do on Monday. It seemed like every step of the way there were issues, and it was really off-putting to me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you worked with a diverse team. What were the challenges and how did you handle them?   Answer Question

Housekeeping Interview

It was a smooth process and I loved the professionalism with what I was treated with. They are all about customer satisfaction and they make sure the inform new employees about it.

smooth process

Front Desk Agent Interview

Long and tedious process. Call it being thorough or job security for overstaffed HR department. It is what it is. Came in for initial interview, then called back to meet with supervisor. Waited 45 min to then speak with front office manager.

Hostess Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marriott.

Was called in for an interview 2 days after applying online, Had first interview and was called in for another about a week later. Marriott Uses the STAR technique for interviewing. Long interviewing process and most questions related to previous job experience(s).

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had your schedule change unexpectedly.   Answer Question