Marriott Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.7

Event Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marriott in March 2010.

Starts with a phone interview if you are selected from applicants. The recruiter is employed by an outside company and it's really a pre screening-mostly annoying because these people don't even understand the job you might be doing. Then they have you take an online assessment, more about the type of person you are and how you work. In person interview uses the S.T.A.R format so Situation, Task, Action, and Result. Make sure to have some good examples so you can answers those.

Interview Questions
    • S.T.A.R format is hard and definitely need to prepare-example give me an example of a time something didn't go as planned and you answer in that format.   Answer Question
    I never had to negotiate because salary was always fair

Greeter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Marriott.

I was looking for a Summer Job for when I got back from College, and a family friend recommended that I apply at the Marriot in town. They had a few job openings and the Human Relations department was very helpful in choosing the best one with my former work experience. Everyone couldn't have been more helpful with the whole process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Marriott in May 2011.

I only had one interview and it was really disorganized. The person who was supposed to interview me was out sick and so some one else took over for them but was not prepared.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were predictable about past employment challenges (basic STAR method)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cordele, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cordele, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Marriott in October 2013.

It was more of an on spot interview. I came in to get an application and he pretty much just gave me the interview right then and there.

Interview Questions
    no negotion. he gave me a set salary.

Front Desk Associate Interview

I went in to the hotel at the time and date we arranged via phone call, I sat down with the Assistant Manager and the Front Desk Lead. It wasn't stressful. They asked me questions about my resume and we went over the job description I was applying for. They were very respectful and welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • I can't think of any. They were very orthodox with their questions.   Answer Question
    They were understanding of the current job I had at the time and we negotiated my start date and training process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marriott in March 2012.

When Applying all people must apply through Marriott's Website which will filter you, If you want to get noticed, You must call the department manager of the position you are applying for and introduce yourself. You can get their email easily, and send them a nice note. Anything to set yourself apart, make sure you ask questions about specific processes i.e. Guest Surveys and how the hotel is ranked. These are important to managers. Its also important to ask about coworkers, come with a notepad with some questions, wear a shirt and tie at minimum, ask about the types of guests the hotel caters to this is important.

Interview Questions
    • What are your weaknesses? *this was worded a bit differently but same idea   View Answer
    Although I attempted to negotiate I believe Corporate sets the pay scales, I am a very good negotiator unfortunately you would have to apply for a different job to start off at a higher wage. Embassy Suites offered me a job as well which I declined and paid more, had very comparable benefits, I chose Residence Inn for the people who I spoke with I loved the Managers I started with

Hotel Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Marriott in March 2014.

Referral from a friend at the local Convention & Visitors Bureau. I called and emailed the Director of Sales who emailed me back and set up the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly explained my previous employment history and why I want to be in sales. Have a good answer.   View Answer

Looking for a position with higher pay.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marriott.

The process is quite standard. Time and location preference are the first part. Willingness to be relocated, and flexible is always appreciated. Standard BI questions, including strength and weakness, teamwork, ability to solve problem, leadership skills, interpersonal skills and how to deal pressure. Related experience are highly recommended, at least customer service experience.

Regional Director of Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Marriott in March 2012.

A highly scripted process was in place when interviewed for a Sales position. The overall scenario and interaction felt very sterile - quite unlike the natural rapport building that happens in sales interactions - and in most Marriott interactions, inside and outside HQ. The process appeared to feel uncomfortable for the panel of interviewers as well. I wonder if they learn what they really need to know about a candidate to judge their capabilities for a job?

Interview Questions
    • Describe the most difficult selling situation you encountered in which you were unsuccessful.   View Answer

Offer was for a lower level position at 50% of my current salary. It felt insulting.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Marriott in January 2010.

I initially spoke with a friend who was at Marriott- he described the internship program, how to apply online, and that he would be willing to put in a good word for me. I applied online for the appropriate job req, and then followed up with my friend to tell him that I had applied. I went threw one phone screen and was given an offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had made a mistake- what did you do, and what did you tell your manager?   Answer Question
    No negotiation- all internship offers are alike.