Marriott

Relevance Date Difficulty

Telecommunications Technician Interview

Telecommunications Technician
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Marriott.

Interview Details – I was contacted by phone to come in for an interview. The interview process was conducted with me and two other people the manager and supervisor for the department. I also had to come in and interview with Human resources department. While Marriott usually has you interview with General Manager of the company i did not have to do that.

Interview Question – I was asked how i would handle an angry guest at the hotel regarding information of events going on at the hotel.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received a phone call from human resources that they wanted to hire me and would i accept the position.

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marriott in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the job on July 1 2013. On July 2, I received an email from the recruiter asking if I could do a phone screening as a pre-cursor to any job interviews. I agreed. The pre-screen phone call was on July 3 before the holiday weekend. On July 10 - I received an email informing me I would be meeting with the recruiter face-to-face as well as the hiring manager and her supervisor on July 12. After the first round of interviews - a day (or two) later, I was asked to come back the following week to meet with a few of the Leadership Team members (as a formality). From July 13 to August 1, the recruiter stayed in constant contact with me via email and phone letting me know what was going on with the position and the key players. I never felt "out of the know."

On August 2 - I got the call with the offer. The recruiter apologized for the process taking longer than expected (the reason: a key player was on vacation). I received a phone call the day before I started work on August 26 just to check in and make sure all was well. When I arrived on August 26, I was immediately greeted by the recruiter and an HR assistant and shown where to go and what paperwork to fill out. I was then escorted to Orientation - given a tour of the building - received my badge and temporary parking pass - and re-introduced to my team and hiring manager. The following day when I showed up for work, I was greeted by my hiring manager and shown to my cubicle where she had everything set up (e.g., laptop, chair, telephone, network access, telephone numbers, pamphlet on how to recycle), including a welcome card and cookies! My manager had even taken the time to schedule meet-n-greets with all my team members and clients so I didn't feel alone.

Overall, the hiring and interview process was an amazing experience for me. I'm not sure if my experience is the exception or the norm - but it was a great first impression.

Interview Question – Marriott uses a specific interview process to maintain consistency across all interviews. The interviewers are certified in the process and know exactly what to ask and when. As such - make sure you come prepared for the interview. Interviewees who are unprepared will not make a good first impression.

How do you get prepared? Well, for starters dress appropriately and present yourself in a professional manner. The interview questions are behavioral in nature on competencies specific to the job you've applied to. Know what you've done without "regurgitating" your resume. Trust me - they've already reviewed and re-reviewed your resume several times and know what your resume says (and prepared multiple questions with follow-up questions). What they want to know is what's not on your resume. When you are asked a question - stop for a second - think about the question (even repeat the question for clarity, if necessary) and make sure your response provides the interviewer with the situation (what happened), the action you did in the situation, an the result of said action (regardless if it's positive or negative). Always. If not - they will circle back to get these answers, so be prepared to answer them one way or another.

And, most importantly, relax and have a conversation. Believe it or not - you're body language, demeanor, and how you respond to questions are also being "interviewed" and noted. This is - after all - a hospitality company!
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate salary (to a point) but nothing else (e.g., vacation, benefits).

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marriott in November 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process happened quickly. The professionalism should be adopted by other companies. Whether you are hired for the job or not, the recruiters do follow ups, to avoid and applicant waiting by the phone

Interview Question – What has been your most challenging experience, either personal or professional   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, the salary was set, and I accepted

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Front Desk Agent Interview

Front Desk Agent
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marriott in March 2012.

Interview Details – When Applying all people must apply through Marriott's Website which will filter you, If you want to get noticed, You must call the department manager of the position you are applying for and introduce yourself. You can get their email easily, and send them a nice note. Anything to set yourself apart, make sure you ask questions about specific processes i.e. Guest Surveys and how the hotel is ranked. These are important to managers. Its also important to ask about coworkers, come with a notepad with some questions, wear a shirt and tie at minimum, ask about the types of guests the hotel caters to this is important.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses? *this was worded a bit differently but same idea   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Although I attempted to negotiate I believe Corporate sets the pay scales, I am a very good negotiator unfortunately you would have to apply for a different job to start off at a higher wage. Embassy Suites offered me a job as well which I declined and paid more, had very comparable benefits, I chose Residence Inn for the people who I spoke with I loved the Managers I started with

Regional Director of Sales Interview

Regional Director of Sales
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Marriott in March 2012.

Interview Details – A highly scripted process was in place when interviewed for a Sales position. The overall scenario and interaction felt very sterile - quite unlike the natural rapport building that happens in sales interactions - and in most Marriott interactions, inside and outside HQ. The process appeared to feel uncomfortable for the panel of interviewers as well. I wonder if they learn what they really need to know about a candidate to judge their capabilities for a job?

Interview Question – Describe the most difficult selling situation you encountered in which you were unsuccessful.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Offer was for a lower level position at 50% of my current salary. It felt insulting.

Very Easy Interview

Anonymous Interview

Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Marriott in January 2010.

Interview Details – I initially spoke with a friend who was at Marriott- he described the internship program, how to apply online, and that he would be willing to put in a good word for me. I applied online for the appropriate job req, and then followed up with my friend to tell him that I had applied. I went threw one phone screen and was given an offer a few weeks later.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had made a mistake- what did you do, and what did you tell your manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation- all internship offers are alike.

Senior Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Senior Quality Assurance Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Marriott in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was hired for an internal job posting after my old position (Senior Systems Analyst) was eliminated in a company-wide restructuring of IT services. All candidates were required to take a personality assessment test. Passing the test was the only way to be interviewed for a position. Then one had to locate a suitable opening, apply for the job by submitting a resume, as if you had never worked for Marriott before.

Interview Question – Several questions related to ITIL processes relating to service assurance and problem determination and escalation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I was hired at my current salary and benefits level.

Very Difficult Interview

Claims Adjuster I Interview

Claims Adjuster I
Gaithersburg, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marriott in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by phone and email. I had a phone interview which lead to an in person interview. The interview included a test with basic math calculations and scenario/opinion questions. Then maybe 6 territory managers came in smaller groups and asked various questions requiring specific examples from previous experiences.

Interview Question – A lot of questions about different scenarios, what would you do or what did you do in that situation in the past. They were basically questioning how you would handle various scenarios.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Front Desk Interview

Front Desk
Stafford, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Marriott in October 2013.

Interview Details – I went to the job fair announcement for front desk clerks to work at a new Marriot Courtyard. The interview went very well. The person who interviewed me was positive and friendly. I could not have asked for a better person to conduct the interview. I did get a follow up telephone call to ask if I was still interested to which I responded yes. I applied for both the front desk and night auditor.

Interview Question – I was not asked any unexpected or difficult questions.   View Answer

Director Interview

Director
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Marriott in July 2013.

Interview Details – Found the process to be unnecessarily drawn out and not terribly productive or insightful. They've basically been sold a corporate bill of goods by their "HR professionals"... sort of a CYA system called "The STAR System." When implementing this system the HR folks are basically left off the hook if someone were to not work out. I met with countless individuals over nearly 4 months time and oddly enough, never met with a single individual within my specific discipline. I found my recruiter to be incredibly insulting from the git-go and also a bit lazy and condescending at the same time.

Interview Question – It's all based on "The STAR System." A series of questions that all begin with "Can you recall a time when you..." In truth? Had I really been willing to do absolutely anything to get the job? I just would've concocted works of fiction with the painfully obvious desired pat answers.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marriott

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!