Marsh Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2014
Updated Jun 27, 2014

2.7

Client Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Marsh in July 2011.

Internal application. Recommended by my line manager.

Two part interview - panel at first and then a one to one. Skill tests carried out in the panel interview.

Technical Questions relating to unique covers available to clients - comment was made before questions where put to me that the correct answer was not necessarily what was being sought as the covers being queried where specialised - interiewers wanted to see how I would approach a query.

I made it through the panel interview and was selected for 2nd round with one to one interview with section head. I felt this aspect of the interview process was repetitive. With a lot of the information previously advised during the general application and the panel interview being rehashed.

In the one to one interview a query was raised as to why I wanted to leave the section I was in? Did I have issues with my colleagues in this section (naming some) - I felt that this question was unfair as my line manager had recommended me for consideration and an outsider of the firm would not have been in such a position.

I found the internal interview process to be more difficult then a general interview - as I had to remind myself that I had to display my skills as if the interviewing team did not have experience of working with me.

Interview Questions
    • Why I wanted to leave the section I was in? Did I have issues with my colleagues in this section (naming some)   View Answer

Internal Sales -entry Level Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Marsh in May 2013.

online CV submission, was called in for an interview. Did a group task with the prospective sales team, as well as a personal one on one interview with HR representative.

Interview Questions
    • How are you a citizen of the world. I've lived in 4 countries as well as attended university in the Uk and Canada. While Im not sure if I gave an unsatisfactory answer, they were looking for something I didn't seem to hit the nail on the head with.   Answer Question

TRAC Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marsh in March 2013.

I interviewed in the New York office for a summer internship. They treated me very well and I had a positive experience, despite the long day. I ultimately did not get the internship, but I think it would be a great and rewarding company to work for. It would definitely be a lot of work.

Client Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Marsh.

Several over the phone interviews/discussions with the recruiter and 2 in person interviews. One was in person the other was group.

Interview Questions
    • What is it about your experience that makes you a good fit for this position.   Answer Question

Summer TRAC Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Marsh.

Started with an on campus interview that was arranged after I had met representatives at a career fair. The on-campus interview was pretty straight forward and they focused on situations where I experianced challenges or had to adapt. I was then invited to an interview day where i had 3 back to back interviews with different SVP's and directors. The questions were mostly the same from before but they expected more thought out responses.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you worked in a group that did not listen to you and how did you overcome this challenge?   Answer Question
    none, accept or dont

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marsh in January 2012.

Interview

Interview Questions
    • What will you do in a situation when facing non believers user in order to convince them ?   Answer Question

Workplace unexpected

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marsh in March 2013.

Submitted application through school's on campus interview site, had an on campus interview, and then moved on to office site interview in San Francisco. After brief orientation had 4 rounds of interviewing with different risk/insurance managers in different practices. Each interview was behavioral only. There were a couple alumni from my university present, but bringing up our shared connection wasn't very helpful as it sometimes is.

Interview Questions
    • What do you to become more confident before situations like interviews?   View Answer

Client Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Marsh in October 2011.

I got a phone interveiw first. Basically introduce myself, what my job responsibilities are, salary expectations, those normal easy questions. The HR is very nice, and the phone interview lasted for around 7-8 minutes. Immediately after phone intervew, she sent me an email for an on site. On the day of interview, the HR had me to sit down with two client executive/managers separately. She said they would be my managers in the future if i were offered the job. The female manager is british i think and very nice talking. And male manager is hard to deal with. He sounds like he expects a lot from his surbodinates. He kinda of boasts about him doing great presentations in front of clients like attorney firms, and getting the deal done. I think I was nervous when talking to him, cuz i can feel that he doesn't think i'm a good fit for the position since very begining when he said hello to me. ( I'm Asian.)

The interview lasts for an hour. No difficult questions. Basically talk about what I am doing at work now, how i prioritize things, and how to keep good relations with clients.

At the end i walked out, I know i can't get this offer...Cuz i'm not a aggressive person, not good at presentation those stuff.

Marketing Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Marsh in January 2010.

Interviewed for position went well, even received a call from HR afterwards to talk compensation, if other offers were on the table from other employers, and was told a decision would be soon. Never heard from them again, so I followed up to be told they ultimately went with an internal candidate. Thanks for letting me know!

Proposal/Strategy Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Marsh in December 2010.

The interviews themselves were pretty standard, with the standard questions, beginning with a screening phone interview with HR recruiter (about 30 min), followed 3 weeks later by a 1:1 interiew (1.5 hours) with what would have been the immediate supervisor. This was followed a week later by a morning of 3 separate interviews with higher ups, each lasting about 45 min. That morning they were juggling the 2-3 final job candidates. I followed up all my face to face interviews with handwritten thank you notes.

The 2nd interview was followed by ...... nothing. 6 weeks of nothing. Not a peep. At week 4, I "touched base" with my 1:1 interviewer and was told they hadn't even begun to discuss the finalists. At week 6, I contacted the HR recruiter (again to "touch base"). She called back 2 days later and said they were 'close to a decision". That afternoon I received the no thanks email from the 1:1 interviewer -- "we've decided to go with another candidate."

The whole process took nearly 3 months -- from the initial phone interview to the kiss-off letter . I really wonder, after so much time had passed between interview and decision, whether the interviewers actually remembered anything about the candidates --no one took notes while I was there.

One of the interesting things is that the position had been open since early Sept 2010 and they desparately wanted to bring someone in quickly to relieve the massive workload. At the same time the 1:1 interviewer said he was "extremely picky" about who he interviewed and hired.

My overall impression is that Marsh culture expects its employees to forget having a personal life and concentrate solely on working as many hours as possible. I was told that a normal, average week was 50-55 hours, 60++ when things were busy. Most of the office was a cube farm, with only very senior people having offices, and those were small inside offices (no windows). People seemed nice, but on the whole it didn't seem a congenial place. No one asked for salary expectations throughout the process, and a salary range was never mentioned.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you would deal/ have dealt with a major disagreement with a higher up in which you were right, but he/she outranked you and was insisting on the wrong course of action.   Answer Question

Worked for Marsh? Contribute to the Community!