Marsh

24 candidate interviews

Client Representative Interview

Client Representative
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Marsh in February 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process consisted of an initial phone screening, then another screening, then I can in for the interview. The interview was with 3 managing directors from the department I was trying to get in with. They all could not have been nicer. Very conversational, asked simple questions like how would you feel having to do this and are you able to balance lots of different tasks at the same time.

Interview Question – In what conditions do you work your best?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Intern Interview

Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marsh in February 2013.

Interview Details – The interview went pretty well. No general feedback and was unimpressed when one of their employees was cursing in front of me. If you want to impress students, it is no way to act unprofessional. A company should show professionalism when trying to recruit. I did not see that here as i thought I would.

Interview Question – None really. It was more of a conversation   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marsh in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was placed on assignment at Marsh through a local temp agency. Waited a year, as supervisor made the case to develop a permanent position for me. When the time came, Marsh made an offer and its sister company Mercer also offered me a position in another office. This was nice as I had them both trying to outbid the other. The interview process was very straightforward only because I had worked with both companies (Mercer more sporadically, by way of Marsh) for over a year and had thus proven my worth.

Interview Question – The position was created for me and all of my interviewers seemed to consider me an expert, thus there were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – When the time came, Marsh made an offer and its sister company Mercer also offered me a position in another office. This was nice as I had them both trying to outbid the other. And both offers went up a couple times before I accepted Marsh's.

Intern - Excess Casualty Interview

Intern - Excess Casualty
New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marsh in January 2011.

Interview Details – Very behavioral. Walk me through your resume - What do you know about insurance?

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – None

PM Interview

PM
New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marsh in December 2011.

Interview Details – Good, thoughtful questions.

Interview Questions

Customer Service Specialist I Interview

Customer Service Specialist I
Urbandale, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marsh.

Interview Details – Applied and had an employee referral. I was contacted the next day to set up an in-person HR screening interview. HR representative was very friendly and asked me to explain my resume and describe my understanding of the position/company. Very easy. I was then asked to come in for a 2nd interview a week later with 2 supervisors. Interview was very informal and relaxed. Was asked questions like "Tell me about a time when..." or "How do you like to be supervised." I was contacted 3 weeks later with an offer. Everyone who I worked with was pleasnat and made me feel relaxed.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a negative performance review?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer seemed firm.

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Marsh in June 2012.

Interview Details – The manager was really nice and easy to talk to. it ended up being part time, and i needed full time

Interview Question – is there anything you would change about yourself   Answer Question

Product Development Intern Interview

Product Development Intern
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marsh in October 2011.

Interview Details – It was a basic behavioral interview. They asked about my past work experiences and leadership roles in order to get a general idea of how I would perform in the position assigned. They also wanted to see how I handled different situations. No different than any other behavioral interview. I heard back the next day and received an offer. The internship was a less formal internship program as I was the only intern working for my boss, so there was more personal attention.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you failed at achieving your task.   Answer Question

Proposal/Strategy Manager Interview

Proposal/Strategy Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Marsh in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interviews themselves were pretty standard, with the standard questions, beginning with a screening phone interview with HR recruiter (about 30 min), followed 3 weeks later by a 1:1 interiew (1.5 hours) with what would have been the immediate supervisor. This was followed a week later by a morning of 3 separate interviews with higher ups, each lasting about 45 min. That morning they were juggling the 2-3 final job candidates. I followed up all my face to face interviews with handwritten thank you notes.

The 2nd interview was followed by ...... nothing. 6 weeks of nothing. Not a peep. At week 4, I "touched base" with my 1:1 interviewer and was told they hadn't even begun to discuss the finalists. At week 6, I contacted the HR recruiter (again to "touch base"). She called back 2 days later and said they were 'close to a decision". That afternoon I received the no thanks email from the 1:1 interviewer -- "we've decided to go with another candidate."

The whole process took nearly 3 months -- from the initial phone interview to the kiss-off letter . I really wonder, after so much time had passed between interview and decision, whether the interviewers actually remembered anything about the candidates --no one took notes while I was there.

One of the interesting things is that the position had been open since early Sept 2010 and they desparately wanted to bring someone in quickly to relieve the massive workload. At the same time the 1:1 interviewer said he was "extremely picky" about who he interviewed and hired.

My overall impression is that Marsh culture expects its employees to forget having a personal life and concentrate solely on working as many hours as possible. I was told that a normal, average week was 50-55 hours, 60++ when things were busy. Most of the office was a cube farm, with only very senior people having offices, and those were small inside offices (no windows). People seemed nice, but on the whole it didn't seem a congenial place. No one asked for salary expectations throughout the process, and a salary range was never mentioned.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would deal/ have dealt with a major disagreement with a higher up in which you were right, but he/she outranked you and was insisting on the wrong course of action.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marsh in March 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application through school's on campus interview site, had an on campus interview, and then moved on to office site interview in San Francisco. After brief orientation had 4 rounds of interviewing with different risk/insurance managers in different practices. Each interview was behavioral only. There were a couple alumni from my university present, but bringing up our shared connection wasn't very helpful as it sometimes is.

Interview Question – What do you to become more confident before situations like interviews?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marsh

Worked for Marsh? Contribute to the Community!