Marsh Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015

2.8

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marsh (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Submitted application through school's on campus interview site, had an on campus interview, and then moved on to office site interview in San Francisco. After brief orientation had 4 rounds of interviewing with different risk/insurance managers in different practices. Each interview was behavioral only. There were a couple alumni from my university present, but bringing up our shared connection wasn't very helpful as it sometimes is.

Interview Questions

• What do you to become more confident before situations like interviews?   1 Answer

Risk Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marsh (Melbourne (Australia)).

Interview

1 phone interview
    2 face to face interview
    1 psychometric test

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual, though the "real test" is the psychometric test. So could be a deal breaker if you're of great attitude but poor IQ.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Poor. No room for negotiation.

Client Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marsh (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

I got a phone interveiw first. Basically introduce myself, what my job responsibilities are, salary expectations, those normal easy questions. The HR is very nice, and the phone interview lasted for around 7-8 minutes. Immediately after phone intervew, she sent me an email for an on site. On the day of interview, the HR had me to sit down with two client executive/managers separately. She said they would be my managers in the future if i were offered the job. The female manager is british i think and very nice talking. And male manager is hard to deal with. He sounds like he expects a lot from his surbodinates. He kinda of boasts about him doing great presentations in front of clients like attorney firms, and getting the deal done. I think I was nervous when talking to him, cuz i can feel that he doesn't think i'm a good fit for the position since very begining when he said hello to me. ( I'm Asian.)

The interview lasts for an hour. No difficult questions. Basically talk about what I am doing at work now, how i prioritize things, and how to keep good relations with clients.

At the end i walked out, I know i can't get this offer...Cuz i'm not a aggressive person, not good at presentation those stuff.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marsh.

Interview

On Campus interview

Interview Questions

• What new technology is gaining traction in the insurance industry?   1 Answer

Client Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marsh in April 2008.

Interview

Employee referral makes the process easier. Panel interview, one technical person, one representative from HR and often the boss for the specific team/role you are interviewing for. Behavioural questions including "describe a situation where there was conflict and how you handled that conflict?" Technical questions such as "describe what time of coverages / insurance products you have worked with"

Interview Questions

• describe a situation where there was conflict and how you handled that conflict?   2 Answers

Business Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marsh in February 2010.

Interview

The process went smoothly, with the initial screening taking the most time. Once the screening was complete, everything else went quite quickly, with an offer being made within two weeks of the interview. Employees were professional and pleasant. Interview was very thorough, with them ensuring that I understood all phases of the position and expectations. This made me feel comfortable that I was interviewing at the right place.

Interview Questions

• Discuss prior experiences with analyzing and implementing initiatives such as these.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary...Do your homework about the salary ranges prior to negotiating.

Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marsh in January 2008.

Interview

Did resume drop through university. First interview on campus with one older employee and one 2 year employee from same school. Second interview was at the company office. Interviewed with 2 departments and was asked which I would prefer. It is definitely a benefit to know which you would prefer and be able to articulate why. I told them specifically that I desired a formal training program. I was told there was a formal Risk Analyst program. NOT TRUE. The program exists primarily in name and you are asked to go through some online presentations and keep a journal of work over the first year of work. Total waste of time and disappointment.

Interview Questions

• What department are you most interested in and why (Casualty or Property)?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Little to no room for negotiations.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marsh in January 2010.

Interview

Interviewed for position went well, even received a call from HR afterwards to talk compensation, if other offers were on the table from other employers, and was told a decision would be soon. Never heard from them again, so I followed up to be told they ultimately went with an internal candidate. Thanks for letting me know!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marsh in December 2010.

Interview

The interviews themselves were pretty standard, with the standard questions, beginning with a screening phone interview with HR recruiter (about 30 min), followed 3 weeks later by a 1:1 interiew (1.5 hours) with what would have been the immediate supervisor. This was followed a week later by a morning of 3 separate interviews with higher ups, each lasting about 45 min. That morning they were juggling the 2-3 final job candidates. I followed up all my face to face interviews with handwritten thank you notes.

The 2nd interview was followed by ...... nothing. 6 weeks of nothing. Not a peep. At week 4, I "touched base" with my 1:1 interviewer and was told they hadn't even begun to discuss the finalists. At week 6, I contacted the HR recruiter (again to "touch base"). She called back 2 days later and said they were 'close to a decision". That afternoon I received the no thanks email from the 1:1 interviewer -- "we've decided to go with another candidate."

The whole process took nearly 3 months -- from the initial phone interview to the kiss-off letter . I really wonder, after so much time had passed between interview and decision, whether the interviewers actually remembered anything about the candidates --no one took notes while I was there.

One of the interesting things is that the position had been open since early Sept 2010 and they desparately wanted to bring someone in quickly to relieve the massive workload. At the same time the 1:1 interviewer said he was "extremely picky" about who he interviewed and hired.

My overall impression is that Marsh culture expects its employees to forget having a personal life and concentrate solely on working as many hours as possible. I was told that a normal, average week was 50-55 hours, 60++ when things were busy. Most of the office was a cube farm, with only very senior people having offices, and those were small inside offices (no windows). People seemed nice, but on the whole it didn't seem a congenial place. No one asked for salary expectations throughout the process, and a salary range was never mentioned.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would deal/ have dealt with a major disagreement with a higher up in which you were right, but he/she outranked you and was insisting on the wrong course of action.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marsh (London, England (UK)) in January 2012.

Interview

Interview Questions

• What will you do in a situation when facing non believers user in order to convince them ?   Answer Question

Workplace unexpected