Marsh

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews

Risk Management Intern Interview

Risk Management Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marsh.

Interview Details – On Campus interview

Interview Question – What new technology is gaining traction in the insurance industry?   View Answer

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marsh in March 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application through school's on campus interview site, had an on campus interview, and then moved on to office site interview in San Francisco. After brief orientation had 4 rounds of interviewing with different risk/insurance managers in different practices. Each interview was behavioral only. There were a couple alumni from my university present, but bringing up our shared connection wasn't very helpful as it sometimes is.

Interview Question – What do you to become more confident before situations like interviews?   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marsh in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interview

Interview Question – What will you do in a situation when facing non believers user in order to convince them ?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Workplace unexpected

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
Washington, DC

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Marsh in May 2012.

Interview Details – What a waste and lack of respect of my time and energy. I was contacted by Marsh and did a phone screen in March. I was told the interviewer was very busy and that they wouldn't have time to interview till May. In early May, interviews were set up, canceled and re-scheduled by Marsh twice - saying the interviewer was busy. Finally booked an interview and the morning of, they made contact 30 minutes before the interview asking to push it from 10a-11a. I agreed and was waiting in the lobby at 11am. Interviewer did not come to collect me till 11:25 and I was done and out of the building by 11:45. Interviewer had little interest in getting to know me and when I asked if they were considering many other candidates, I found out the position was being filled internally. If that was the case, then why waste my time and effort? So completely disrespectful.

Interview Question – There were really no questions asked, Interviewer just skimmed my resume and repeated my qualifications and skills back to me.   Answer Question

Client Representative Interview

Client Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Marsh in April 2008.

Interview Details – Employee referral makes the process easier. Panel interview, one technical person, one representative from HR and often the boss for the specific team/role you are interviewing for. Behavioural questions including "describe a situation where there was conflict and how you handled that conflict?" Technical questions such as "describe what time of coverages / insurance products you have worked with"

Interview Question – describe a situation where there was conflict and how you handled that conflict?   View Answers (2)

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Marsh in February 2010.

Interview Details – The process went smoothly, with the initial screening taking the most time. Once the screening was complete, everything else went quite quickly, with an offer being made within two weeks of the interview. Employees were professional and pleasant. Interview was very thorough, with them ensuring that I understood all phases of the position and expectations. This made me feel comfortable that I was interviewing at the right place.

Interview Question – Discuss prior experiences with analyzing and implementing initiatives such as these.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary...Do your homework about the salary ranges prior to negotiating.

Risk Analyst Interview

Risk Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marsh in January 2008.

Interview Details – Did resume drop through university. First interview on campus with one older employee and one 2 year employee from same school. Second interview was at the company office. Interviewed with 2 departments and was asked which I would prefer. It is definitely a benefit to know which you would prefer and be able to articulate why. I told them specifically that I desired a formal training program. I was told there was a formal Risk Analyst program. NOT TRUE. The program exists primarily in name and you are asked to go through some online presentations and keep a journal of work over the first year of work. Total waste of time and disappointment.

Interview Question – What department are you most interested in and why (Casualty or Property)?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. Little to no room for negotiations.

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Marsh in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed for position went well, even received a call from HR afterwards to talk compensation, if other offers were on the table from other employers, and was told a decision would be soon. Never heard from them again, so I followed up to be told they ultimately went with an internal candidate. Thanks for letting me know!

Interview Question – salary expectations   Answer Question

Proposal/Strategy Manager Interview

Proposal/Strategy Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Marsh in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interviews themselves were pretty standard, with the standard questions, beginning with a screening phone interview with HR recruiter (about 30 min), followed 3 weeks later by a 1:1 interiew (1.5 hours) with what would have been the immediate supervisor. This was followed a week later by a morning of 3 separate interviews with higher ups, each lasting about 45 min. That morning they were juggling the 2-3 final job candidates. I followed up all my face to face interviews with handwritten thank you notes.

The 2nd interview was followed by ...... nothing. 6 weeks of nothing. Not a peep. At week 4, I "touched base" with my 1:1 interviewer and was told they hadn't even begun to discuss the finalists. At week 6, I contacted the HR recruiter (again to "touch base"). She called back 2 days later and said they were 'close to a decision". That afternoon I received the no thanks email from the 1:1 interviewer -- "we've decided to go with another candidate."

The whole process took nearly 3 months -- from the initial phone interview to the kiss-off letter . I really wonder, after so much time had passed between interview and decision, whether the interviewers actually remembered anything about the candidates --no one took notes while I was there.

One of the interesting things is that the position had been open since early Sept 2010 and they desparately wanted to bring someone in quickly to relieve the massive workload. At the same time the 1:1 interviewer said he was "extremely picky" about who he interviewed and hired.

My overall impression is that Marsh culture expects its employees to forget having a personal life and concentrate solely on working as many hours as possible. I was told that a normal, average week was 50-55 hours, 60++ when things were busy. Most of the office was a cube farm, with only very senior people having offices, and those were small inside offices (no windows). People seemed nice, but on the whole it didn't seem a congenial place. No one asked for salary expectations throughout the process, and a salary range was never mentioned.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would deal/ have dealt with a major disagreement with a higher up in which you were right, but he/she outranked you and was insisting on the wrong course of action.   Answer Question

Summer TRAC Associate Interview

Summer TRAC Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Marsh.

Interview Details – Started with an on campus interview that was arranged after I had met representatives at a career fair. The on-campus interview was pretty straight forward and they focused on situations where I experianced challenges or had to adapt. I was then invited to an interview day where i had 3 back to back interviews with different SVP's and directors. The questions were mostly the same from before but they expected more thought out responses.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you worked in a group that did not listen to you and how did you overcome this challenge?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none, accept or dont