Marsh & McLennan Companies

Relevance Date Difficulty

Advisory Specialist Interview

Advisory Specialist
Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies in January 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application online. Received an email requesting time for a phone interview which was scheduled and completed within a week. Nothing difficult about the phone screen, straight forward questions about my background. A few days later I received another email requesting when I might be available for in office interview. This was agreed upon in a few days giving me a week before my scheduled meeting. My interview was scheduled from 1:00 to 2:45 with meetings with 4 different people. I was greeted upon arrival and was personally guided by same girl from meeting to meeting. I met with head of department as well as immediate team members. I was supposed to meet with the local HR Director but there was a conflict and she was not able to see me. As in the phone interview, the questions asked by all persons were pretty much straight forward. Everyone was engaging and professional. I enjoyed the visit. It was just a few days before I got a call for HR in discussing an offer.

Interview Question – The following was included my resume Executive Summary "Forward-thinking leader .......". I had my resume professionally written and those words were not mine. My interviewer as me was if meant by forward-thinking leader. I was not prepared for that one. Moral of the story is if you have professional help writing your resume, be sure you agree and can explain everything the writer includes. I fumbled on answering with a stammering about how much more productive it is than going backward....................UGH!   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – because they did not offer Advisory Specialist job in Dallas siting a weekness in customer interface (I was coming from a wholesale underwritering background) but alternately thought I would be better suited for a Broker Placement role. This might have been acceptable except the position was not in Dallas but 4 1/2 hours down the highway in Houston. The job did not excite me enough to relocate (I have a 3000sf home and LOTS of stuff).

Client Advisor Interview

Client Advisor
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies in July 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online for the Client Advisor position. I was contacted one week later by the recruiter for a preliminary phone interview. She asked me about my experience, my responsibilities at my previous position, why I left, and why I was applying at Marsh. The phone interview went well and at the end of the conversation she let me know that she would give my information to the manager for review. She informed me of the salary and asked me if it was in my range. I really appreciated that she gave me that information up front so that there were no surprises later.
I had an in-person interview with the manager a week later. The manager asked me about my experience and my responsibilities at my previous position. She asked me to explain instances of resolution conflict at my previous job. She explained the responsibilities of the position I was interviewing for and what the day-to-day was like. The interview went well.
The recruiter scheduled a second in-person interview with the office head and zone leader. This interview was the most difficult. The zone leader asked challenging questions and asked for examples of resolution conflict at my previous employer. I had to prove why I would be a good candidate for the position and really sell myself to the zone leader.
I was contacted two days later to continue the hiring process with the recruiter which led to an offer.
Overall the experience was enjoyable. I am very happy with my new position and highly recommend interviewing with Marsh. It was by far the most professional and most challenging interview process I have experienced. Many companies could learn a lot from the Marsh interview process.

Interview Question – Explain an instance where you resolved a customer complaint that made them happy with you and with the company.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter and I agreed to a salary that I could accept but wasn't completely satisfied with. They had a tight salary window that was difficult to negotiate. The recruiter came back with a slightly higher salary for the final offer that I really appreciated.
My advice is to be willing to negotiate but be up front and honest if you're not totally satisfied. I didn't play hardball and in the end the recruiter helped me out.

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!