Marsh & McLennan Companies Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.8

Client Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Dallas, TX) in July 2010.

Interview

I applied online for the Client Advisor position. I was contacted one week later by the recruiter for a preliminary phone interview. She asked me about my experience, my responsibilities at my previous position, why I left, and why I was applying at Marsh. The phone interview went well and at the end of the conversation she let me know that she would give my information to the manager for review. She informed me of the salary and asked me if it was in my range. I really appreciated that she gave me that information up front so that there were no surprises later. I had an in-person interview with the manager a week later. The manager asked me about my experience and my responsibilities at my previous position. She asked me to explain instances of resolution conflict at my previous job. She explained the responsibilities of the position I was interviewing for and what the day-to-day was like. The interview went well. The recruiter scheduled a second in-person interview with the office head and zone leader. This interview was the most difficult. The zone leader asked challenging questions and asked for examples of resolution conflict at my previous employer. I had to prove why I would be a good candidate for the position and really sell myself to the zone leader. I was contacted two days later to continue the hiring process with the recruiter which led to an offer. Overall the experience was enjoyable. I am very happy with my new position and highly recommend interviewing with Marsh. It was by far the most professional and most challenging interview process I have experienced. Many companies could learn a lot from the Marsh interview process.

Interview Questions

• Explain an instance where you resolved a customer complaint that made them happy with you and with the company.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The recruiter and I agreed to a salary that I could accept but wasn't completely satisfied with. They had a tight salary window that was difficult to negotiate. The recruiter came back with a slightly higher salary for the final offer that I really appreciated. My advice is to be willing to negotiate but be up front and honest if you're not totally satisfied. I didn't play hardball and in the end the recruiter helped me out.

Sales Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

Still in process. To date, I have had one phone screen with the hiring mgr, followed by three face-to-face interviews, followed by two additional phone interviews. Now scheduled for three more face-to-face interviews and one more phone interview bringing the total to ten. Be prepared to discuss your resume in detail and how your skills are relevant. They ask hard questions. Be able to discuss strategy and your opinions on how to get things done. Very important that you "fit in" at Marsh and be able to deal with multiple issues and personalities effectively. Very high-performance, buttoned-down environment. You have to show that you are comfortable in a large complex organization.

Interview Questions

• "How do you handle clients saying no?"   1 Answer
    • Why are you leaving your current job/why have you had so many jobs?   1 Answer

Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies in March 2010.

Interview

Very organized, but it took a while for them to get back to me. In the final interview, I spoke with the US Director of Risk Consulting. He was very attentive on the phone, and we spoke for about an hour. He seemed genuinely concerned about what I was looking for.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult part of the process?   1 Answer
    • Was the the most attractive aspect of the firm?   1 Answer

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

Interview process was relatively straight forward. First was a screening/very preliminary phone interview with HR that acted more like a buffer to make sure you were at a minimum competent enough to answer a phone professionally and set up in-person interviews. Then, once I set up the in-person interviews I met with 3 senior members of the team and was on my way. I was then brought back 2-3 weeks later and interviewed with 2 young members to ensure there was a good personality fit. The interview was more about experience and how would handle the everyday grind of office work that often resulted in adding to sales/business retention presentations/demonstrations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered a higher salary than my current and was coming in with no relevant experience. I had no bargaining chips.

Placement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Multiple interviews with numerous collegues. My first interview I met with 8 different people in small groups (2 at a time). Based on my prior industry experience (12+ years) most of the questions were about getting to know me. I was invited back for a second interview with upper management level collegues. Similar to the first interview session as I met them in small groups and was mostly asked about my working style, challenges I've faced in the work environment, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe the biggest challenge you faced in your prior job. How did you address and find resolution to the challenge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation is through a 3rd party that Marsh uses for hiring and backround checks. The process was easy as they agreed to the terms I asked for. Conduct a backround check.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

Very thorough. First was a one hour phone interview with HR Director which was scheduled for 20-25 minutes by admin but went a full hour. Great rapport, basically fact-finding. Then received a call two weeks later for in-person interview. Initially met with HRD again for about an hour, took Wonderlic test. Next I met with Department Head. Very direct, aggressive questions but I was able to respond cogently. After about an hour I got a brief tour of the office and was offered lunch following week with team member. Lunch went well - casual. Got more info on position. Then took Kolbe test online. Further tests from industrial psychologist who I then met with to review off-site. Finally lunch with one of the two partners and an offer.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult questions were from the Department Head who went through my resume with a fine tooth comb.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Fairly easy - they knew roughly what I was scheduled to make in 2013 and increased their offer a little in addition to nearly 4 weeks vacation and allowed me a flexible schedule as my wife just gave birth to twins 6 months ago.

Assistant Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview process was very thorough. I spoke to and/or met with 8 different people of varying levels. HR were very diligent and efficient keeping me informed thought the process. All in all, very impressive.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Relatively easy, they came to the table with a very good offer from the get go.

TRAC Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

My interviewer was very nice and personable, but directed very few questions to me. Most of the time I asked her about her experiences and the company. Eventually she asked me to tell her about a time where I worked on a group project in class.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

3 wks. after applying via LinkedIn, received an afternoon e-mail scheduling a next morning phone screening interview. Face-to=face interviews were to begin the following week. Position was in NY, but interviewer was in Kentucky. Standard screening questions including "what kind of salary do you need?" The interviewer said that Marsh never includes salaries in job postings. She also made a remark about the cost of living in NYC, which led me to believe that the $50k-60k salary range that I suggested was too high. In addition, she mentioned, in response to my question, that they had a very large number or candidates. This gave me the impression that were in a position to be extremely selective.

Interview Questions

• What do you like least about the insurance industry?   Answer Question
    • If I were to ask your former employer to describe an area where you need to improve, what would he or she say?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose to apply for a position at Marsh, as opposed to other brokerages?   Answer Question
    • Do you consider yourself someone who likes to work independently or a team player? and why?   Answer Question
    • Rate your proficiency in Microsoft Excel from 1-10. How have you used Excel in the past year? What did you do? Rate your proficiency in .... interviewer went through every item listed under computer skills on my resume.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Initial interview is with HireVue online. The questions were far-fetch, which leaves you almost speechless. it picks up your facial expressions, and even if you're not nervous, just the fact of being filmed makes things uneasy.

Interview Questions

• What are my strengths and weaknesses? Why do you want to work for us? How would you handle a stressful situation?   Answer Question