Marshalls Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

1.8

Cashier Interview

Interview

Rushed, but easy. Bother interviews were done on the same day. There seemed to have been a bit of confusion as to what position I was being hired for. One manager told me A, and the other told me B. They do not actually give you a rate of pay until you show up for orientation.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marshalls

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview

I applied on a Thursday and by Wednesday I got a call for an interview which I scheduled for that Friday. The interview by the manager was in the morning and it just so happened that they were having orientation that day (which lasted about 3 hours and got paid for) and I stayed for orientation after getting an offer which was 7.93, the minimum wage then. I wanted more since I had plenty of job experience, but because I didn't have retail experience they gave me the bare minimum. By that next Monday I was working for them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was terrible, I wanted a little bit more money even with my previous job experience but because I didn't have retail experience I couldn't get anything higher than the minimum wage.

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marshalls (Glendale, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Mass hiring due to brand new store opening. Completed the application and met immediately with the store manager. I was offered the position on the spot. Everyone is temp-to-permanent at TJX, no matter the position. Orientation was a couple week later after references and background check was clear.

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Park, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marshalls (Brooklyn Park, MN) in March 2011.

Interview

i knew somebody and they juiced me in

Interview Questions

• Why would you work for such low pay   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation.. only advise. .dont work there unless you need to

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marshalls (Houston, TX) in February 2011.

Interview

There were two interviews. The first was with an assistant manager, the second was with a store manager. The first interview was going over the resume and schedule. The second was basic interview questions. I got a call within a week and was notified of my work schedule.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

We didn't negotiate

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marshalls (New York, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

I applied for a position at Marshalls, and on the application, I put "any". I was interviewed by the store manager. He asked questions like, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" "What can you bring to this company?" "Why are you interested in this company?" There was one interview and I got the job on the spot. I went into details mostly about school and I ended up keeping this job for a year.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Virginia (South Africa)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marshalls (Virginia (South Africa)) in June 2015.

Interview

I walked in & asked for an application, filled it out, & gave it back. I actually spoke to a manager but she wasn't the hiring manager & she asked me some details about my application & said the hiring manager would give me a call if she liked what she saw. I called about a week later & spoke to the hiring manager who said she wasn't reviewing applications yet & would call me at a future time if she did. She called me about 2 weeks later to set up an interview which went well. She called me to set up another interview with the store manager & the store manager offered me a position. I'm in college & she was really lenient as far as me coming back for breaks even though I wasn't sure if I'd be leaving at the time. I dressed professionally for both interviews (a dress, heels, etc.) The people working there were all really nice & helpful & welcoming.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Marshalls' starting pay is $9 an hour so I didn't feel the need to negotiate being that I'm young with no prior experience in retail.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marshalls in March 2012.

Interview

The manager that hired me at Marshalls called me back within two business days after I checked on my status of the application. I had previous retail experience before which helped the hiring process move quickly.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a qualifying candidate for this position that you're applying for>   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marshalls in September 2010.

Interview

Looking to re-enter the job market after raising my children, I applied to work at a favorite local retail store, Marshalls. I was quickly called in for an interview, and offered a minimum wage, part-time job. I was told there are never any full-time positions available, no benefits, and no opportunity for growth. I turned down the job. I'm very disappointed in my (former) favorite store's business strategy toward employees.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to accept a minimum-wage, part-time job?   1 Answer

Minimum wage with no opportunity or encouragement for growth? It's shameful that an American business would have this attitude toward employees.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marshalls in September 2009.

Interview

After applying online and waiting a week, I called and checked on the status of the application. After doing so again every few days they finally called me in for a one to one interview. Not until I was hired did I realize why they took so long. The managers are either incompetent or hired incompetent employees so they had to pick up all their slack. This left little time to conduct human resources operations. The interview was pretty standard retail questions on problem solving and customer relations. I received a phone call a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you had to solve a problem?   1 Answer
    • How would you deal with an angry customer?   1 Answer