Marshalls

97 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Marshalls in December 2012.

Interview Details – I came into the store to shop, and at checkout I asked if the store was hiring. I received an application, came back later than night to speak to the hiring manger. He looked at my resume, was impressed with my work history, noted that I "wasn't a teenager who is out partying all the time" and hired me on the spot.

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations. At that point in time I had no retail experience so I accepted whatever they offered me.

Cashier Interview

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marshalls in February 2011.

Interview Details – There were two interviews. The first was with an assistant manager, the second was with a store manager. The first interview was going over the resume and schedule. The second was basic interview questions. I got a call within a week and was notified of my work schedule.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We didn't negotiate

Loveland, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marshalls in June 2011.

Interview Details – I was called and brought in for an interview at the store after submitting a paper application. I dressed professionally. The hiring manager was very welcoming and made the interview less than stressful, and this is coming from someone who gets very nervous about interviews and meetings with supervisors.

Interview Question – Difficulties regarding previous employment/ if I had been let go from a previous position. I had been let go from two positions but this allowed me to posit my possible concerns regarding conflicting duties and priorities from management. It was not an easy question since it highlighted something I was not proud of, but it made the experience I had at Marshalls all the more easier.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward and easy

Merchandise Coordinator Interview

Merchandise Coordinator
Norfolk, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Marshalls in January 2010.

Interview Details – For an entry-level store job, an applicant usually goes through a single interview with a Marshalls hiring manager. Conveniently for the applicant, Marshalls keeps the process informal yet professional. At the onset of the interview, applicants need to answer basic questions, like: "Where do you see yourself in five years?", "What makes you qualified for this job?", and "Why Marshalls?" To understand how candidates will act on the job, Marshalls also asks a number of behavioral questions, such as: "What was a time you had to solve a challenging problem?", "What is your idea of working with a sense of urgency?", and "How would you handle an upset customer?"

Interview Question – They didn't have any really hard questions   Answer Question

Tracy, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marshalls in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call 2 weeks later for a group interview. There were 10 people including myself being interviewed. Both people conducting the interviews made me fell welcome and were very nice and professional. I was called about 45 minutes after the interview and they asked for my availability and if I had any references. 15 minutes after that I got another call and was offered the position.

Interview Question – They have a credit card that they want the customers to sign up for, so one of the questions was to attempt to sell the card to the manager as if she was a customer. Total curveball but be creative and you will be fine! They are VERY big on customer service!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No price negotiation.

Warehouse Supervisor?mod Interview

Dearborn, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marshalls in April 2013.

Interview Details – Quick, lots of turn over in all stores. employees quit within a few months

Interview Question – Why you would want to work for them? Jobs are hard to find in Michigan. Most people will take any thing till something better comes along   View Answer

Negotiation Details – nothing, told me what they would offer. Take it or leave it.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marshalls in September 2010.

Interview Details – Referred by a member of management to call the store manager with the opening. We set up a time to meet on a one on one interview session lasting about 45 minutes. With my example the interview led to an immediate interview with the District manager on the same day and different location. I as given an offer by phone on the next day.

Interview Question – Question were base on experience and expectations. My previous experience match well with Marshalls.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marshalls in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had a manager whom I rarely had to deal with. The real party started two days after the interview when I was hired.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected. That doesn't happen until you start working. Then the most difficult and unexpected occurs nearly daily.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation? HAHAHAHAHA! What negotiation? The manager I interviewed with was very firm on not negotiating anything. I shouldn't have taken the job, so that was my fault. I was only one month out of being unemployed and should've expanded my options more. Customers have more room to negotiate prices on items they damage on purpose with approval from management. Because the customer is ALWAYS right, folks!

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview Details – Called for an interview a week later, interview was informal, just waiting for a callback.

Interview Question – If I called your references, what would they tell me about you.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Sales Floor Associate

Interviewed at Marshalls

Interview Details – You submit application in person and wait for call. Interview was relatively short. They ask you basic questions like what do you do in your free time, any experience, and what your working schedule would be like.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marshalls

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marshalls interview questions and advice. All 97 interview reviews posted anonymously by Marshalls employees and interview candidates.