Marshalls Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

1.9

Seasonal Part-time Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raynham, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Marshalls (Raynham, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

I was shopping at Marshall's and noticed they had a table out front with applications. I filled it out in my car, came back and got an interview right away. The assistant manager who interviewed me was very friendly and laid-back, almost apologetic about how basic and silly some of his questions were. "What does customer service mean to you?" and that typical stuff. He offered me a position and seemed excited that I'm young but not like his more unreliable college students. Then he told me the pay was $8/hr and I couldn't believe it! I've never worked for that little pay, even in high school.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a disagreement with someone?
      Have you ever taught someone a skill and how?
      What does customer service mean to you?
      What were your favorite and least favorite aspects of your last job?

Answer Question

Pay was only $8/hr, which is minimum wage in MA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marshalls (Round Rock, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied in person, had the interview two days later. I got a called back a few days later saying they wanted to start the hiring process. Pretty easy interview. I don't think they would even ask questions of they didn't have to. It was basically me and all of the managers sitting in a circle, conversing.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Marshalls (Glendale, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Mass hiring due to brand new store opening. Completed the application and met immediately with the store manager. I was offered the position on the spot. Everyone is temp-to-permanent at TJX, no matter the position. Orientation was a couple week later after references and background check was clear.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Marshalls (Atlanta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

Had 2 interviews, one with training managers, then a second with actual store management, very quick, nice people, easy questions. The questions were very basic interview questions, it was more like a conversation with the manager.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marshalls in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and about a week and a half I received a call from the hiring manager to have an interview the very next day. I was first interviewed by the hiring manager in a pretty informal/unprofessional interview. She told me about what their store was all about and that they were looking for seasonal workers. She asked me a few questions and said that they do 2 interviews, so I will have to interview with one of the store manager right after this one. During the 2nd interview, the manager indicated to me that they do call references and if my reference check out, I will hear from them in 4 days if they decide to hire me. Both interviews lasted around 10 mins each and was fairly informal. I'm still waiting for a reply.

Interview Questions

• Questions were pretty basic.
      Why do you want to work at Marshalls?
      Tell me about yourself.
      How do you deal with a difficult customer?
      Do you have any questions for me?

1 Answer

Any Available Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marshalls (Beverly Hills, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

It was my first interview EVER so I was really nervous, I practiced what I was going to say after reviewing this website. The Manager was very friendly & talkative. He totally made me feel welcomed & comfortable. We disscussed Marshall's background & briefly talked about the main rules. Honestly guys I only got asked one question. The rest was more of a conversation. He asked me to talk about myself & my futute goals. Very easy, nothing complicated. Just relax & be yourself. Let them see the real you & they'll take you in for that.

Interview Questions

• Rate the customer from "Least Important" to "Most Important" .
      Customer #1: Walks in store to cool off the heat outside, buys nothing.
      Customer #2: Walks in to buy something refreshing to drink, does not look around at all.
      Customer #3: your regular customer, spends from $500-$1,000
      Customer #4: your true customer, spends from $1,000-$5,000+.

1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. I'm starting with $9.00 an hour, not bad for me. My first job so I'm not complaining. I was told my salary will increase as I have more time with Marshalls.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marshalls (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

First I filled out the application. Then I got a call back after a few weeks. I had actually forgot I applied for the job by the time they called me back. I set up an interview which went perfectly. He asked me the usual questions. I was studying engineering at the time and he was concerned I was over qualified at the time and was confused as to why I wanted the job, but I was honest and told him I needed money to pay for books and he respected that. I was hired and then started training shortly after the interview. The work environment I actually did not like at all, because everyone was rude. I can understand rude customers, but the employees were rude as well. I'm not saying all Marshalls have rude employees though. It could have just been my location. The store was always a mess too no matter how much you put clothes back where they belong someone always takes it back down and the employees don't put clothes back correctly either. I also worked in the dressing room giving people numbers. I never worked on the register. I was either on the floor organizing or in the dressing room. I liked working in the dressing room because it was quiet and I had control to keep it organized. It was peaceful back there most of the time too.

Interview Questions

• My unexpected question was when he said "Well I see here your studying engineering? I'm confused as to why do you want to work here?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't have to negotiate he offered me a slightly higher hourly pay.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Marshalls in August 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was a quick one. The hiring manager was on vacation when i turned in my application but, the following monday i got a call reuesting interview for that tuesday . After the interview she said she would be in touch by the next monday. But, the process was even quicker ! She called me back yesterday 8/20 hiring me on to start part time on wednesday .

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question : What makes you team player ? How would you handle disagreement at work ?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview

Had a over the phone interview, interview with the store manager, final with the district manager. After the interview with district manager I thought I had the job. I had to email the HR office 16 days later just find out they moved on to other candidates. Very very unprofessional.

Manager Interview

Interview

it was okay from the start. I interviewed with several people aboutmy past. The process wasn't that bad. They do background checks and things like that. I was given an offer within 2 weeks of my first interview.