Marshalls Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

1.9

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview

Phone interview. Asked questions such as how would you handle a difficult customer and what do you think is great customer service? Hiried before the end of the call.

Interview Questions

• What is great customer service?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview

I gave in my application to the manager and was told that I look great and he'll call me during the week to schedule and interview, its been a month and he has never called back.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview

I applied on a Thursday and by Wednesday I got a call for an interview which I scheduled for that Friday. The interview by the manager was in the morning and it just so happened that they were having orientation that day (which lasted about 3 hours and got paid for) and I stayed for orientation after getting an offer which was 7.93, the minimum wage then. I wanted more since I had plenty of job experience, but because I didn't have retail experience they gave me the bare minimum. By that next Monday I was working for them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was terrible, I wanted a little bit more money even with my previous job experience but because I didn't have retail experience I couldn't get anything higher than the minimum wage.

Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marshalls (Winston-Salem, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

It was a very quick and informal meeting with two Managers on a Saturday morning. They asked me general questions about my experience and background/schooling. They also indicated they would verify my information with one of my references and that I should report for orientation on following Monday afternoon unless they called me.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your current job duties. Do you have any experience handling cash?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They start all Sales Associates out at $7.50 per hour. This will change June 1st, 2015 to $9.00 per hour.

Full Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Marshalls (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

Completed a short application online on Monday got called for on Sunday for an interview on Monday. Went to Marshalls the next day filled out the complete job application at the store. They told me to wait outside till i was called. Took about more than 1 hr. to get called in. I notified them that i was still here for my interview about 6 times until they finally assisted me. They interviewer took so long because she decided to attend the cash register (there was not a big line of shoppers either only like 2 people in line.) Finally went to get my interview and they made me wait outside the door for about 5 min. Finally went inside to take my actual interview after about 1hr and 30 min. The lady asked me why do you want to work at marshalls then i gave her a answer. Then she asked me about my previous jobs or volunteer work then i gave her my answer and it was a good answer. After i answered she was like oh well the position is already full (since a long time ago.) Have a nice day. The interview wasn't even 5 min. until she basically told me to leave. I thought to myself why would you make me wait more than an hour or even call me in for an interview if the position had been full since who knows when and then you make me wait so long for an "interview" that was no longer than 5 min. I was so furious. And i was dressed appropriately and everything.

Store Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marshalls in November 2014.

Interview

I applied in person, I handed my application to the assistant manager. Then she scheduled me an interview the following day. I interviewed with the Assistant manager and operations manager. Both were very friendly and talkative. Both told me about what their store was all about.During the 2nd interview, the manager indicated to me that they do call references, after that they will call you if you hired.

Interview Questions

• Where do you get your strength? Why do you have a desire to work in retail? Explain some of your previous experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Marshalls (Springfield, OH).

Interview

They only do paper applications. Had to drop off at the store in person. No chance to talk to the manager. Got a call for a interview. Went in for the interview. The manager asked a few normal interview questions, but he mostly seemed like he liked to just talk. Very conversational.

Negotiation

Normal interview. Some questions about how my experience lined up to the stores model. Was just a conversational type set up. I said the pay was extremely low and that I was disappointed in that. When they called back to say I got the job they said I got 20 cents more than was originally offered. Still a really low pay rate for my level of experience.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview

I went into the store and asked one of the supervisors if they were hiring and if I could get an application. I filled it out and brought it back within 20 minutes. I got a call a few MONTHS later (they weren't hiring at the time I gave in the application). The interview was pretty basic (describe what good customer service means to you, define teamwork, etc.) but I got interviewed twice by two different managers, first a man, then a woman. I got a call about three or four days later telling me that I was hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It's just minimum wage, no wiggle room.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview

I filled in the in store application and was called into an interview later that afternoon for a few days later. It was a group interview where a little was asked about our backgrounds and I was given the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any. Very simple customer service type questions.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marshalls (Glendale, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Mass hiring due to brand new store opening. Completed the application and met immediately with the store manager. I was offered the position on the spot. Everyone is temp-to-permanent at TJX, no matter the position. Orientation was a couple week later after references and background check was clear.