Marvel Entertainment Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2015

2.6

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Marvel Entertainment (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Overall, it was very slow, unstructured and informal. It took 3 week for a response from my application, after the interview I waited 3 more weeks without areply. I called and they said they are still waiting to make a decision and will have an answer soon. It's been 4 weeks since that phone call and I still haven't received any kind of response from them.

Interview Questions

• They honestly didn't ask any specific questions, the interview was more of a conversation. There were two people interviewing me at the same time, which threw me for a curveball. It started with me introducing myself and running through my portfolio with them. After that, they told me what I'd be doing and showed me some books they had worked on themselves. They asked a little about my interest in comics, what my future plans are and some other small questions, but no traditional interview questions.   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Interview

I applied for a job at Marvel through a linkedin job posting. Three days later, I was contacted for an interview for a couple of days after that. It seemed that they were desperate to fulfill the position. The HR coordinator told me I would be meeting with the manager of the department and hinted that if I had impressed them I would meet the VP of the department. I arrived at the Marvel HQ and I first had to fill out over 20 minutes of tedious paperwork. The secretary told me I would actually be meeting with the VP of the department and hinted that if I impressed them, I would meet with the manager of the department (the exact opposite of what the HR coordinator told me). The VP asked many standard interview questions about my experience and my reactions to situations, all pretty normal. The VP had a great enough impression so he sent in the manager and another employee in the department to come speak to me. These two individuals did not ask me any questions, instead they started selling me all the perks about working for Marvel! At that point, I felt that I had passed the interview and now Marvel was trying to make me as interested as possible in their company. I left Marvel after being interviewed by the three people for over an hour feeling great. The manager told me that by the next week they would have a response and that she would "see me soon." I sent my thank you emails to everyone and waited. Three weeks later and no response I called the manager who said the VP was still deciding yet she wanted to hire me out of the candidates. I sent more emails to the VP and the manager along with the HR coordinator over time. It hit 3 months since I interviewed and I decided to call the HR coordinator. She had notified me that they offered the position to someone yesterday and hadn't had the time to send emails to other candidates. I was livid; I was led on to believe that they were interested in me and it took them 3 months to notify me. It's close to 4 months since I interviewed AND I NEVER RECEIVED AN EMAIL. To make matters worse, I discovered on linkedin that the person who got the job was an intern in the department who they hired full-time. In all fairness, I think that the intern did deserve the job over any person (like myself) who they interviewed. But the fact that Marvel wasted so much of my time (and I'm sure other candidates) shows how rude of a company they are and how much they lack common decency.

Interview Questions

• If you could have any superhero power what would it be?   1 Answer

Promotions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marvel Entertainment (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied through online and got an e-mail from the HR manager a month later requesting for an in person interview. Got called in to go into the Marvel office in NYC, there were 3 people interviewing me from the Promotions team. Asked me very basic situational questions and asked me why I wanted to work for marvel.

Web Design Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marvel Entertainment.

Interview

I applied to them last year and it was easily an experience I won't forget. I showed them samples of my portfolio and gave them a copy of my resume. The employee I spoke to couldn't spell the word "portfolio" and looked at my work as if she had never seen a website. I wasn't sure, based off this interview, if she understood the design field at all. None of the remarks she gave me were exceptionally supportive. But nonetheless, I got an email callback that summer positions were available so I decided that maybe I should give them a second try. Two weeks later, I arrived at their Midtown offices with my work and filled out a bunch of paperwork, with 3 pages of asking me about my arrest records (I don't have any...). I ended up waiting three hours for someone who never arrived. I was told that I was going to have to reschedule with her for another day and then about a week later, got a rejection email.

Interview Questions

• I had a lot of sample work that I've created in Illustrator and she asked me if I was good with any other software. I told her I had experience with working in most of the Master/Creative Suite, especially Photoshop and Dreamweaver.   1 Answer

Digital Comics Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marvel Entertainment in December 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed for an internship last year. It was a very smooth, exciting process! Sara from HR was very responsive and kind, and helped me through the whole process. Beautiful office in the heart of Manhattan with everything comics (well, what would you expect?). Overall, I loved everything about the company and the internship was an incredible learning experience!

Interview Questions

• How do you think you could contribute to the company? What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marvel Entertainment (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

It was a really long process. It ended up taking about 3 months and 5 or 6 interviews for me to finally get hired. Additionally you're required to read a script and edit/give notes on it for them before they allow you to interview. Once you do that you'll slowly work your way up the food chain in terms of interviews, eventually meeting with the editor-in-chief and the SVP of publishing.

Interview Questions

• The questions aren't too tough. As long as you know comics and show your interest you should be fine. They mostly ask about your history with comics, your experience with writing/editing, your job history, stuff like that.   1 Answer

Print Production Assistant -publishing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Marvel Entertainment (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via email 2 days later. They asked typical questions about past experience and then more technical questions about printing. They also made sure i knew that this was more than 9-5 role many days... and was all work and no glory. they did ask that you fill out all paperwork before coming in. credit check, NDA and typical employment app.

Web Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marvel Entertainment (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Met with a representative through my school, it was incredibly casual but I didn't really hear back from them for about 3 months until they sent me an email saying they were looking for summer interns and to reach out to them to schedule an interview. I spoke with someone through their department and came out to their offices on a rainy Friday to wait for approximately 2 hours for my interviewer never show up. I did speak to someone else who was courteous enough to take down my name and resume. I sent them emails later on in the week but they sent me a rejection email saying that they were backed up with offers and that they wouldn't be accepting my application.

Interview Questions

• What kind of skills do you have in code?   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marvel Entertainment (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

I received an e-mail response from HR within a day or two of applying online. An interview was scheduled to come in the following week and meet with two individuals from the specific department I had applied to. The two one-on-one interviews were very casual. We spoke briefly about the history of the department and what they were looking for. It was more of a conversation than an interview. No curve-balls. A few days later I received another e-mail from the original HR contact to come back for a third interview. The third interview was with a head honcho via video conference to California. Still casual, but more a direct question and answer segment. After that interview I didn't hear anything for several days. All follow-up e-mails were ignored.

Interview Questions

• How can you apply your specific experience to the requirements of the position?   Answer Question

Corporate Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Marvel Entertainment (New York, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

I was called by the hiring manager (who ran the group) for a 1 on 1 interview. The interview process was to meet with 3 people in the first round and another 3 in the second. I was asked to explain my previous work experience conversationally and asked case study questions which, weren't complex problem solving questions. They were more about fit and approach. I was asked about interest - felt like my level of enthusiasm for the position was a priority to the interviewers. The topics of conversation seemed to be more about flow and comfort than technical ability.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult problem you've encountered and how you resolved it.   Answer Question