Marvell Technology

168 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

WiFi Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

WiFi Quality Assurance Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Marvell Technology.

Interview Details – Got an e-mail from the HR saying an engineer liked my resume and asked for an updated copy of it following which I had an unexpected phone interview the same day. I have a CWNA certification so most of it was based off that. After a week I got to know I would be having an onsite, however, the onsite was scheduled a month later. There were 4 rounds, everything relevant from my resume was asked. Everything about 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, networking protocols, routing protocols, some WLAN troubleshooting scenarios, OFDM, BeamForming (all the 802.11n related concepts),WLAN security, my work during the year long internship i had, Protocol analyzers, how they work, some practical scenarios related to them etc.

Marvell is extremely slow (to the point that the wait gets frustrating) when it comes to scheduling further rounds or extending an offer. So good luck with that :)

Know your resume very well.

Interview Question – There was nothing out of the way difficult. A few unexpected questions related to packet sniffers and protocol analyzers since I haven't used them before. But they could be tackled with a little bit of thinking and common sense.   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marvell Technology in March 2014.

Interview Details – one phone interview, asked about projects on the resume. Then asked about MESI protocol. Then Onsite interview. There are 5 people. First one asked basic CPU questions, such as 5 stage pipelined CPU. Second one asked me about reorder buffer in the out of order processor and load store queue. Third one asked about waveform questions. The last two asked me about some verilog questions.

Interview Question – reorder buffer store pointer.   Answer Question

Senior ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Senior ASIC Design Engineer
Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marvell Technology in March 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process is standard, first , there is a telephonic screen which is totally technical, and lasts about an hour.
Then they call you for an onsite interview , which lasts about 5 hours, with 5 one-on-one interviews with the whole team.
The interview itself is pretty standard.
But, what comes after that is an utter non-professionalism. 2 days after the interview, I get a call from the HR that I have been selected for this position, and we can start the background check and have the salary negotiations.
I did that, and the background check results also came back after a week, which was clean.
Then, I get a call from HR that the approval now needs to be taken from VP of the group, the hiring manager has given the approval already.
So, I wait 1 week and no response. So , I call the HR and ask her what is the delay about. She says, VP is busy in meetings, and will take 2-3 more days. I wait, and then comes and reply that the approval of VP is done and approved.
The next thing now is that the approval needs to come from CEO. I was totally shocked at this - I am interviewing for a senior engineer position, and not a director position, why would the CEO be involved in this selection process.
She answered - its a standard procedure for all employee selection at Marvell. The approval for all should come from CEO, and since he is out of the country for a couple of weeks on business, that will take time.
So, I wait, and after 2 weeks, I call again, and comes a reply that he is busy, and cannot be done this week.
I was totally angry at this unprofessional behavior now. I was made to wait for just an approval, and that too, I need to call everytime to ask for an update.
So, after a week, I call again, and she says, the CEO has not approved. I asked why is that - the whole interviewing team has given me full marks for my technical skills, the hiring manager was totally impressed by my skills, the VP approved, and why not CEO?
The answer was totally unacceptable - we do not know why he has declined, and we cannot ask why.

I was so angry at this. I have vowed never to work for Marvell in my life, even of they offer me 10 times the salary. I wasted a lot of my time in the procedure, which was thoroughly unprofessional.

Interview Question – The interview was straight forward and aveage   Answer Question

Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marvell Technology.

Interview Details – I submitted job application 8 months ago online. No HR contacted. Directly contacted by hiring manager and setup one phone call about 45 min, then onsite interview about 6 hours.

Interview Question – How many data bits needed to represent A*B+C, all are 8 bit unsigned   View Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Marvell Technology in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online for several positions in December 2013 and was emailed by the hiring manager after ~ 6 weeks about a Sr. Product Manager position. After a 30 minute amicable phone interview which I passed, the on-site interview at Marvell HQ occurred 1 week later. The on-site interviews were fairly intense: I interviewed with the hiring manager (again) + 4 others for 45 minutes each. The next day, the hiring manager confirmed I had made a good impression but Marvell was in the early stages of their search and need to conduct diligence on several more candidates. This diligence was basically a delay of 5 weeks as they undoubtedly conducted a bunch more interviews with others until I heard back from them and then a second onsite interview for 2 more hours and 3 more people occurred. Each multiple week delay was basically using me as a baseline to see if anyone they liked better came along.

A week after the second on site interview, Marvell insinuated I would be offered the job once I completed Marvell's on-line application, provided pay information form my current employer (even though they had this info. verbally from day #1) and a thorough background & legal/education check of me was processed. But a job was not offered. After 3 more weeks of delays, HR only after a request by me stated 'The team has decided to move forward with another candidate. We will reach out if anything changes.'. That's it- No rationale was given for the decision. Based on Glassdoor reviews by current/former Marvell employees I firmly believe the dismissal of me was due to Marvell not wanting to pay even what I was making at my current employer. The entire process was too lengthy, required multiple days off on my part to travel to them and they offered little feedback in return. To top it all off, Marvell has not yet repaid me the ~$200 reimbursement I submitted 4+ weeks ago nor provided from the background check agency a copy of the legal documentation and review they supported conducted on me - they have my personal information but have not yet provided me a copy of my own information... Marvell's reputation of being cheap on pay and bennies is warranted fully.

Interview Question – A Marketing Director asked me several detailed technical questions about Marvell's PCI-Express based Controllers even though my background was clear that I didn't have heavy depth in this area. After a set of satisfactory answers to his own admission he continued to probe deeper until I guess he received an answer not to his liking. IMO a waste of time to probe this deep on an area the candidate doesn't yet own.   Answer Question

Design Intern Interview

Design Intern

Interviewed at Marvell Technology

Interview Details – I applied through their website. After like 4 months, I got an email for phone screen appointment. It was like 30 minutes. He first asked questions about the relevant courses and projects on my resume. Then there were some questions about pipeline, FIFO, cache, ASIC design flow and computer architecture.

Interview Question – about an API used in formal project   Answer Question

Logic Design Engineer Interview

Logic Design Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Marvell Technology.

Interview Details – phone interview about 30 mins

Interview Question – Asked about FIFO, cache, pipeline, Computer architecture, logic design, testbench   Answer Question

Interviewed at Marvell Technology

Interview Details – 4 rounds, one hr and three technical. Generally good. They asked questions about the resume, one interviewer asked a lot of basic circuit problem, like how to draw an inverter(transistor level), state machine, etc.

Interview Question – Most of the questions are just normal, like state machine, timing, clock gating.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Marvell Technology.

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed with two rounds of on-site

Interview Question – Long waiting time for the offer   Answer Question

ASIC Design Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Marvell Technology in April 2014.

Interview Details – I've applied online at Jan. and wait 2-3 months to get this phone interview. One guy from Marvell emailed me and set a time to call (so I choose the next day's afternoon). And that guy called on time. The whole time of this phone interview is about 50min, and he asked about 8 questions.

Interview Question – How to check if a fabricated chip has a hold time violation, and how to fix it.   View Answers (2)

Worked for Marvell Technology? Contribute to the Community!