Marvell Technology Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Jun 24, 2014

59 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Validation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Marvell Technology in June 2010.

phone interview lasted for 30 mins, asked basically architecture questions.
    on site interview consists of seven 1:1 interview ranging from programming language like C, PERL and system verilog. Logic questions include timing analysis and logic gates.

Interview Questions
    • what is the cycle time of this circuit give 2 flops and some combi logic in between   View Answers (2)

Staff Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marvell Technology in January 2008.

They called me for phone interview first and we talked about my background and we talked more until they asked me for on site interview, where I taked to seven to eight people, difficult question that I did not expect some of them , buit it was Okm in general, then after a week they gave me a very good offer

Staff Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Marvell Technology in May 2008.

I got the interview call after I applied through a contact. The interview was very technical and relevant to work. The individuals were typically quite sharp and asked good questions. They were very polite and no one showed off any attitude. Over all it was a pleasurable experience.

Interview Questions
    There was very limited negotiation. They were more flexible on offering stocks than a higher salary.

Design Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marvell Technology in January 2010.

The position was for a mixed signal design verification engineer. It was a pretty tough interview. They asked everything from software to hardware possible in the resume. Methodologies for verification, software concepts related to simulator design. Data structures. Analog concepts from DACs to PLL's and verilog-A concepts....

Interview Questions
    • Transfer function of a simple VCO   View Answer
    • question on packet transfer inside of test bench from generator to driver... (system verilog concepts)   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marvell Technology in January 2012.

It is a job fair. After submitting the resume, everyone gets a test paper with several problems. No time limit. Just return it to the technical staff when you are done.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marvell Technology in October 2009.

I was called for the interview after they found my resume on a job portal. I was interviewed by 4 engineers and the HR person on day 1. I was asked to come back again to meet the hiring manager. I was interviewed by another engineer before the manager spoke to me. The HR person told me that they were positive about the outcome and they were going to make an offer soon. The exact offer was made almost a month later.

Interview Questions

The package was bad. What they offered was 10% less than what I was making at that time.

North America Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marvell Technology in October 2012.

I knew a manager who thought I fit perfectly into a current need, so he asked if I would interview. Knowing someone here is the best way to get hired, as HR is a joke when it comes to reviewing candidates and hiring off the open job reqs. Go to an event like CES, chat up someone in sales and really get to know them. Let them know you're looking for an opportunity and you're very interested in Marvell.

My interview was pretty grilling, but I spent a week preparing for it. I knew the corporate organization, who the managers and players were, the products and markets, but above all I told a complete story about myself that they could relate to. Everyone here is hard working and ambitious but they value ethics and teamwork above all else. No one here would ever consider hurting someone else or the company for personal gain, just keep that in mind.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was "why should we hire you if you haven't worked in technology before?" which was expected and fair.   View Answer
    At the time I was a starving grad student, so though I was ready to negotiate I accepted based on the opportunity to grow in an ideal environment. Marvell doesn't pay employees very well, so I knew if I demanded a high number they'd find someone else.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marvell Technology in February 2014.

Applied online for several positions in December 2013 and was emailed by the hiring manager after ~ 6 weeks about a Sr. Product Manager position. After a 30 minute amicable phone interview which I passed, the on-site interview at Marvell HQ occurred 1 week later. The on-site interviews were fairly intense: I interviewed with the hiring manager (again) + 4 others for 45 minutes each. The next day, the hiring manager confirmed I had made a good impression but Marvell was in the early stages of their search and need to conduct diligence on several more candidates. This diligence was basically a delay of 5 weeks as they undoubtedly conducted a bunch more interviews with others until I heard back from them and then a second onsite interview for 2 more hours and 3 more people occurred. Each multiple week delay was basically using me as a baseline to see if anyone they liked better came along.

A week after the second on site interview, Marvell insinuated I would be offered the job once I completed Marvell's on-line application, provided pay information form my current employer (even though they had this info. verbally from day #1) and a thorough background & legal/education check of me was processed. But a job was not offered. After 3 more weeks of delays, HR only after a request by me stated 'The team has decided to move forward with another candidate. We will reach out if anything changes.'. That's it- No rationale was given for the decision. Based on Glassdoor reviews by current/former Marvell employees I firmly believe the dismissal of me was due to Marvell not wanting to pay even what I was making at my current employer. The entire process was too lengthy, required multiple days off on my part to travel to them and they offered little feedback in return. To top it all off, Marvell has not yet repaid me the ~$200 reimbursement I submitted 4+ weeks ago nor provided from the background check agency a copy of the legal documentation and review they supported conducted on me - they have my personal information but have not yet provided me a copy of my own information... Marvell's reputation of being cheap on pay and bennies is warranted fully.

Interview Questions
    • A Marketing Director asked me several detailed technical questions about Marvell's PCI-Express based Controllers even though my background was clear that I didn't have heavy depth in this area. After a set of satisfactory answers to his own admission he continued to probe deeper until I guess he received an answer not to his liking. IMO a waste of time to probe this deep on an area the candidate doesn't yet own.   Answer Question

Senior ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marvell Technology in March 2013.

The interview process is standard, first , there is a telephonic screen which is totally technical, and lasts about an hour.
    Then they call you for an onsite interview , which lasts about 5 hours, with 5 one-on-one interviews with the whole team.
    The interview itself is pretty standard.
    But, what comes after that is an utter non-professionalism. 2 days after the interview, I get a call from the HR that I have been selected for this position, and we can start the background check and have the salary negotiations.
    I did that, and the background check results also came back after a week, which was clean.
    Then, I get a call from HR that the approval now needs to be taken from VP of the group, the hiring manager has given the approval already.
    So, I wait 1 week and no response. So , I call the HR and ask her what is the delay about. She says, VP is busy in meetings, and will take 2-3 more days. I wait, and then comes and reply that the approval of VP is done and approved.
    The next thing now is that the approval needs to come from CEO. I was totally shocked at this - I am interviewing for a senior engineer position, and not a director position, why would the CEO be involved in this selection process.
    She answered - its a standard procedure for all employee selection at Marvell. The approval for all should come from CEO, and since he is out of the country for a couple of weeks on business, that will take time.
    So, I wait, and after 2 weeks, I call again, and comes a reply that he is busy, and cannot be done this week.
    I was totally angry at this unprofessional behavior now. I was made to wait for just an approval, and that too, I need to call everytime to ask for an update.
    So, after a week, I call again, and she says, the CEO has not approved. I asked why is that - the whole interviewing team has given me full marks for my technical skills, the hiring manager was totally impressed by my skills, the VP approved, and why not CEO?
    The answer was totally unacceptable - we do not know why he has declined, and we cannot ask why.

I was so angry at this. I have vowed never to work for Marvell in my life, even of they offer me 10 times the salary. I wasted a lot of my time in the procedure, which was thoroughly unprofessional.

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Marvell Technology in March 2014.

one phone interview, asked about projects on the resume. Then asked about MESI protocol. Then Onsite interview. There are 5 people. First one asked basic CPU questions, such as 5 stage pipelined CPU. Second one asked me about reorder buffer in the out of order processor and load store queue. Third one asked about waveform questions. The last two asked me about some verilog questions.