MassMutual

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – Very easy!

Interview Question – Typical questions for entry level position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Everyone starts out with the same commissions.

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – Apply. Interview. get a yes or no. Simple

Interview Question – Why do you want to be an agent?   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – Applied online, Was asked to attend WebEx, called into office for a first round interview, then asked for a second round interview

Interview Question – First interview round is mainly to get to know the candidate better on a more personal and career goals setting   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hunt Valley, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2009.

Interview Details – First interview will be with a sales manager. They will review the sales process and the products that you will be able to sell. This can last about 30min to an hour. You will be questioned as to your self motivational skills and internal need to succeed. You will need to exhibit a competitive nature and provide examples. You will have at least one more interview with the sales manager and the general agent after the initial. At this time, the compesation schedule and bonus structure will be reviewed. Typically the interviews end with a decision on your part. They will ask you if you want the job. This is a sales position and if you are willing to put forth the effort, there is minimal chance that you will not be hired. There is no base salary, so from a management standpoint....they have nothing to lose in giving you a shot. I met many hires from numerous educational and professional backgrounds. So industry experience is not necessarily required.

Interview Question – Are you willing to make cold calls? No questions were particularly difficult or tricky as far as provoking thought. Just simply are you willing to do what is required. I was unsure if I was willing to cold call. That is why it was a difficult question for me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no base salary option. So you are offered a few incentive based commission schedules. I chose the one with the highest potential payout.

Very Easy Interview

Newport Beach, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in November 2012.

Interview Details – Seemed very different from others. Only 3 interviews all less than 30 minutes of the company promoting themselves. No phone interview, no IQ test, only personality test and background check.

Reason for Declining – Seems like a great company but I received an offer from my dream job.

Very Easy Interview

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional
Jacksonville, FL

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2011.

Interview Details – They had me come in for multiple interviews/appointments over the course of a month. We had discussions and talks which were basically to judge my character and make sure I was personable and able to prospect for potential clients.

Interview Question – What makes you think you will be able to survive in this tough business?   Answer Question

Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted my Resume to a current agent. He forwarded it to the agency recruiter. He contacted me to take an online aptitude test, then interviewed with him for 2 hours. Interviewed with the sales manager, then with the general agent.. Had to pass a background check and credit check as well as obtain Life Insurance License at my own cost.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Zero negotiation.

New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2011.

Interview Details – Went in and met with recruiting director who told me about the job and pay structure. was sent a personality test to take online which basically evaluated if you were a good fit for a sales job. Got called in for a second interview with a senior person who spoke more in depth about the job and about selling insurance. they wanted me to complete a spreadsheet about potential leads for myself based on my network and ask people what they thought about financial advisors/insurance sales. Said I would be back for a 3rd interview the following week which we set up at the 2nd interview.

Interview Question – what do you think about insurance salesmen?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – didn't want to sell linsurance

Center Valley, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was looking around in the industry and interviewed with MassMutual, Guardian, NYL, and Northwestern just to see what companies was the best. The interview processes are all the same, and I picked Northwestern out of the four because I thought they had the best training program.

Interview Question – Are you a family person?   View Answer

NĂ¥ (Norway)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in September 2012.

Interview Details – 4 interviews. All easy and pretty standard. It seems like they don't hire you until you ask to be hired or ask what the next steps are to starting at the company.

Interview Question – Took a survey online that statistically guessed that I would not be very successful that the position. As a matter of fact it was correct, I was not very successful at the time because I was uncomfortable on the phone   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Here's what you are going to get paid if each type of insurance sale: $X, $Y, $Z. If you do joint work you get 1/2. You get this amount for residuals per year $xx.xx

Interviews for Top Jobs at MassMutual

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual Financial Services Professional interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by MassMutual employees and interview candidates.