MassMutual Financial Services Professional Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

2.6

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MassMutual in August 2009.

Interview

Very streamlined and up front.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MassMutual

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Portland, OR).

Interview

Initially I was contacted via LinkedIn. From there I went into the office for a face to face interview with a sales manager. After that there was a second interview where i met with other administrative staffers to assess my personality/suitability. The final interview was with the Agency President. During this meeting I presented a marketing plan as well as a vision statement.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult aspect was constructing a marketing strategy.   Answer Question

Financial Service Professional Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in December 2011.

Interview

Originally i was contacted by a recruiter which scheduled me to do an interview. - The first interview was pretty basic, explaining how the position worked, following up with some basic interview questions. I was told to complete a personality test online before continuing on to the next interview. - The Second interview consisted of more questions. These questions were mainly geared towards the understanding of the position and the type of person you are. Seeking that you are a rational, logical, motivated, and someone who can take rejection. Overall I found everyone to be very nice and professional. The atmosphere of the office made me feel very high up and prestige.

Interview Questions

• where do you see your self in 3 years? what about in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • what are characteristics of a financial services professional   Answer Question

I didn't feel i would be able to market myself after using all of my natural resources (family & friends)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MassMutual (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online, Was asked to attend WebEx, called into office for a first round interview, then asked for a second round interview

Interview Questions

• First interview round is mainly to get to know the candidate better on a more personal and career goals setting   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Center Valley, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MassMutual (Center Valley, PA) in May 2010.

Interview

I was looking around in the industry and interviewed with MassMutual, Guardian, NYL, and Northwestern just to see what companies was the best. The interview processes are all the same, and I picked Northwestern out of the four because I thought they had the best training program.

Financial Service Professional Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in August 2010.

Interview

The environment is professional, in a quiet office. On the first day I was scheduled to meet with the Sales Manager, who basically just got to know me. One week later, I met with the Director of HR, who went over with me about the basic salary and bonus structure. This is a no salary job, and expect the first two years are very tough.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this job? With your criteria, you could get a much better and easier position?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in July 2009.

Interview

The people doing the hiring will try their best to screen for the candidates who will be successful in this career. But it is impossible to get it 100% correct. If you are very outgoing, and have good sales skills, you will likely be given a try. Remember, if you're not producing, the company isn't paying you, so they don't have much to lose. But they will try to save some people who they feel won't be a good fit for the career, so for that you have to respect.

Interview Questions

• How many people would you say are in your natural market?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, since all commission rates are already in place.

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Buffalo, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Submitted my Resume to a current agent. He forwarded it to the agency recruiter. He contacted me to take an online aptitude test, then interviewed with him for 2 hours. Interviewed with the sales manager, then with the general agent.. Had to pass a background check and credit check as well as obtain Life Insurance License at my own cost.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Zero negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Went in and met with recruiting director who told me about the job and pay structure. was sent a personality test to take online which basically evaluated if you were a good fit for a sales job. Got called in for a second interview with a senior person who spoke more in depth about the job and about selling insurance. they wanted me to complete a spreadsheet about potential leads for myself based on my network and ask people what they thought about financial advisors/insurance sales. Said I would be back for a 3rd interview the following week which we set up at the 2nd interview.

Interview Questions

• what do you think about insurance salesmen?   1 Answer

didn't want to sell linsurance

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in November 2009.

Interview

The interview process is a Four step process. 1-Meet and Greet with potential Sales Manager/Recruiter 2-Online Personality Test which must be passed to move on 3-In depth 1:1 interview with assigned Sales Manager 4-1:1 conversation with the General Agent. The General Agent is the Principal of the agency...the head honcho. The questions are aimed at qualifying one's character, values, and weaknesses. The most vital aspect of the entire process (assuming one doesn't freak out the interviewer at the 1st meet and greet and passes the personality test) is proving to the organization that you are a genuine, highly motivated individual who can work well in teams.

Interview Questions

• Thinking back to kindergarten, what are your most vivid thoughts regarding your friends?   1 Answer

Negotiation

MassMutual is probably the top 1 or 2 Life Insurance/Financial Services Companies in the USA. It is also a mutual company, owned by its clients. Make sure to interview at other highly rated, well respected companies. Ideally, you want to be with a mutual company with a strong Whole Life product selection. In addition, from my perspective, target companies that work strongly with small business owners. With all that said, let's say you've interviewed with North Western Mutual Life (our #1 competitor), New York Life, and MetLife. At that point its where you feel comfortable, where you feel wanted and supported. I interviewed with MetLife, which offers new agents a 26 week salary of 600-900/week to get you started. It is an attractive feature, but the culture wasn't a fit. It had a "meatmarket" type culture, 150 agents, 90% men, where cold calling is enforced. The market MetLife works within is also more blue collar and I wanted to work the white collar market due to the fact that that's where my natural market resides. With MetLife ruled out, NWML and NY Life are left. These are both mutual companies. NWML is tecnically #1, MassMutual is #2 (almost equal though and i'll tell you why), and NY Life fits in the the Top 4. My best advice is to learn about the differences between "mutual" companies and "stock" companies. MetLife is a stock company, as are most. I'll let you do your homework on that topic. Lastly,the reason i went with MassMutual was due to the fact that I have the ability to sell products outside of MassMutual should there be an underwriting or cost issue. This = flexibility. NWML is proprietary. You can only sell NWML product. Period. Overall, I felt right at home at Mass, it is a caring yet competive culture where nearly everyone is likeable.