MassMutual

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at MassMutual

Interview Details – 2 interviews; office manager found my resume on indeed.com and was interested in me. Round were in-person and easy. Just be yourself and be confident. You do not need to have any experience, just the willingness to learn and grow.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had to persuade someone and how did you make them see your point of view?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Recent college graduate that had multiple interviews for other companies at the same time. Also, this job is solely commission.

Very Easy Interview

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional
Jacksonville, FL

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2011.

Interview Details – They had me come in for multiple interviews/appointments over the course of a month. We had discussions and talks which were basically to judge my character and make sure I was personable and able to prospect for potential clients.

Interview Question – What makes you think you will be able to survive in this tough business?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Newport Beach, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in November 2012.

Interview Details – Seemed very different from others. Only 3 interviews all less than 30 minutes of the company promoting themselves. No phone interview, no IQ test, only personality test and background check.

Reason for Declining – Seems like a great company but I received an offer from my dream job.

NĂ¥ (Norway)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in September 2012.

Interview Details – 4 interviews. All easy and pretty standard. It seems like they don't hire you until you ask to be hired or ask what the next steps are to starting at the company.

Interview Question – Took a survey online that statistically guessed that I would not be very successful that the position. As a matter of fact it was correct, I was not very successful at the time because I was uncomfortable on the phone   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Here's what you are going to get paid if each type of insurance sale: $X, $Y, $Z. If you do joint work you get 1/2. You get this amount for residuals per year $xx.xx

Hunt Valley, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2009.

Interview Details – First interview will be with a sales manager. They will review the sales process and the products that you will be able to sell. This can last about 30min to an hour. You will be questioned as to your self motivational skills and internal need to succeed. You will need to exhibit a competitive nature and provide examples. You will have at least one more interview with the sales manager and the general agent after the initial. At this time, the compesation schedule and bonus structure will be reviewed. Typically the interviews end with a decision on your part. They will ask you if you want the job. This is a sales position and if you are willing to put forth the effort, there is minimal chance that you will not be hired. There is no base salary, so from a management standpoint....they have nothing to lose in giving you a shot. I met many hires from numerous educational and professional backgrounds. So industry experience is not necessarily required.

Interview Question – Are you willing to make cold calls? No questions were particularly difficult or tricky as far as provoking thought. Just simply are you willing to do what is required. I was unsure if I was willing to cold call. That is why it was a difficult question for me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no base salary option. So you are offered a few incentive based commission schedules. I chose the one with the highest potential payout.

Financial Services Professional

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in November 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by MassMutual Rep for a 1:1 interview after applying online. First interview was an overview of the company and products they offer, basic questions about myself (i.e. Do you have a large contact base, would you be willing to work off commission, etc...). Second interview consisted of a more in depth view of the company and systems/processes used to prospect and keep clients, and an offer.

Interview Question – If offered a position, do you believe that you will have a large enough contact base to begin prospecting ? (large enough meant at least 200)   View Answer

Reason for Declining – No base salary, commission only.

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – Apply. Interview. get a yes or no. Simple

Interview Question – Why do you want to be an agent?   View Answer

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – Very easy!

Interview Question – Typical questions for entry level position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Everyone starts out with the same commissions.

New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2011.

Interview Details – Went in and met with recruiting director who told me about the job and pay structure. was sent a personality test to take online which basically evaluated if you were a good fit for a sales job. Got called in for a second interview with a senior person who spoke more in depth about the job and about selling insurance. they wanted me to complete a spreadsheet about potential leads for myself based on my network and ask people what they thought about financial advisors/insurance sales. Said I would be back for a 3rd interview the following week which we set up at the 2nd interview.

Interview Question – what do you think about insurance salesmen?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – didn't want to sell linsurance

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in November 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process is a Four step process.
1-Meet and Greet with potential Sales Manager/Recruiter
2-Online Personality Test which must be passed to move on
3-In depth 1:1 interview with assigned Sales Manager
4-1:1 conversation with the General Agent.

The General Agent is the Principal of the agency...the head honcho. The questions are aimed at qualifying one's character, values, and weaknesses. The most vital aspect of the entire process (assuming one doesn't freak out the interviewer at the 1st meet and greet and passes the personality test) is proving to the organization that you are a genuine, highly motivated individual who can work well in teams.

Interview Question – Thinking back to kindergarten, what are your most vivid thoughts regarding your friends?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – MassMutual is probably the top 1 or 2 Life Insurance/Financial Services Companies in the USA. It is also a mutual company, owned by its clients. Make sure to interview at other highly rated, well respected companies. Ideally, you want to be with a mutual company with a strong Whole Life product selection. In addition, from my perspective, target companies that work strongly with small business owners. With all that said, let's say you've interviewed with North Western Mutual Life (our #1 competitor), New York Life, and MetLife. At that point its where you feel comfortable, where you feel wanted and supported. I interviewed with MetLife, which offers new agents a 26 week salary of 600-900/week to get you started. It is an attractive feature, but the culture wasn't a fit. It had a "meatmarket" type culture, 150 agents, 90% men, where cold calling is enforced. The market MetLife works within is also more blue collar and I wanted to work the white collar market due to the fact that that's where my natural market resides. With MetLife ruled out, NWML and NY Life are left. These are both mutual companies. NWML is tecnically #1, MassMutual is #2 (almost equal though and i'll tell you why), and NY Life fits in the the Top 4. My best advice is to learn about the differences between "mutual" companies and "stock" companies. MetLife is a stock company, as are most. I'll let you do your homework on that topic. Lastly,the reason i went with MassMutual was due to the fact that I have the ability to sell products outside of MassMutual should there be an underwriting or cost issue. This = flexibility. NWML is proprietary. You can only sell NWML product. Period. Overall, I felt right at home at Mass, it is a caring yet competive culture where nearly everyone is likeable.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!