MassMutual

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Center Valley, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was looking around in the industry and interviewed with MassMutual, Guardian, NYL, and Northwestern just to see what companies was the best. The interview processes are all the same, and I picked Northwestern out of the four because I thought they had the best training program.

Interview Question – Are you a family person?   View Answer

NĂ¥ (Norway)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in September 2012.

Interview Details – 4 interviews. All easy and pretty standard. It seems like they don't hire you until you ask to be hired or ask what the next steps are to starting at the company.

Interview Question – Took a survey online that statistically guessed that I would not be very successful that the position. As a matter of fact it was correct, I was not very successful at the time because I was uncomfortable on the phone   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Here's what you are going to get paid if each type of insurance sale: $X, $Y, $Z. If you do joint work you get 1/2. You get this amount for residuals per year $xx.xx

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in July 2011.

Interview Details – Before you can sell they want to first make sure you have your Life and Health Insurance License. And even after that you have two sit for about 2 weeks for training to make sure you say exactly, word for word, their sales language when you are infront of someone.

Interview Question – You have to compile a list of 200 people that you will call on for your first sales.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable financing.

Financial Services Professional

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2010.

Interview Details – Go through 4 interviews. They ask a lot of questions to try to get to know me. Not just work questions but life goals. I think its nice that they want to know how I am as a person to see how I will fit not only in the industry, but in the culture of the office.

Interview Question – What I can improve on   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No. Pretty self explanitory

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in December 2011.

Interview Details – Originally i was contacted by a recruiter which scheduled me to do an interview.
- The first interview was pretty basic, explaining how the position worked, following up with some basic interview questions. I was told to complete a personality test online before continuing on to the next interview.
- The Second interview consisted of more questions. These questions were mainly geared towards the understanding of the position and the type of person you are. Seeking that you are a rational, logical, motivated, and someone who can take rejection.

Overall I found everyone to be very nice and professional. The atmosphere of the office made me feel very high up and prestige.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I didn't feel i would be able to market myself after using all of my natural resources (family & friends)

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in November 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process is a Four step process.
1-Meet and Greet with potential Sales Manager/Recruiter
2-Online Personality Test which must be passed to move on
3-In depth 1:1 interview with assigned Sales Manager
4-1:1 conversation with the General Agent.

The General Agent is the Principal of the agency...the head honcho. The questions are aimed at qualifying one's character, values, and weaknesses. The most vital aspect of the entire process (assuming one doesn't freak out the interviewer at the 1st meet and greet and passes the personality test) is proving to the organization that you are a genuine, highly motivated individual who can work well in teams.

Interview Question – Thinking back to kindergarten, what are your most vivid thoughts regarding your friends?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – MassMutual is probably the top 1 or 2 Life Insurance/Financial Services Companies in the USA. It is also a mutual company, owned by its clients. Make sure to interview at other highly rated, well respected companies. Ideally, you want to be with a mutual company with a strong Whole Life product selection. In addition, from my perspective, target companies that work strongly with small business owners. With all that said, let's say you've interviewed with North Western Mutual Life (our #1 competitor), New York Life, and MetLife. At that point its where you feel comfortable, where you feel wanted and supported. I interviewed with MetLife, which offers new agents a 26 week salary of 600-900/week to get you started. It is an attractive feature, but the culture wasn't a fit. It had a "meatmarket" type culture, 150 agents, 90% men, where cold calling is enforced. The market MetLife works within is also more blue collar and I wanted to work the white collar market due to the fact that that's where my natural market resides. With MetLife ruled out, NWML and NY Life are left. These are both mutual companies. NWML is tecnically #1, MassMutual is #2 (almost equal though and i'll tell you why), and NY Life fits in the the Top 4. My best advice is to learn about the differences between "mutual" companies and "stock" companies. MetLife is a stock company, as are most. I'll let you do your homework on that topic. Lastly,the reason i went with MassMutual was due to the fact that I have the ability to sell products outside of MassMutual should there be an underwriting or cost issue. This = flexibility. NWML is proprietary. You can only sell NWML product. Period. Overall, I felt right at home at Mass, it is a caring yet competive culture where nearly everyone is likeable.

Financial Services Professional

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in November 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by MassMutual Rep for a 1:1 interview after applying online. First interview was an overview of the company and products they offer, basic questions about myself (i.e. Do you have a large contact base, would you be willing to work off commission, etc...). Second interview consisted of a more in depth view of the company and systems/processes used to prospect and keep clients, and an offer.

Interview Question – If offered a position, do you believe that you will have a large enough contact base to begin prospecting ? (large enough meant at least 200)   View Answer

Reason for Declining – No base salary, commission only.

Financial Services Professional

The process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in August 2009.

Interview Details – Very streamlined and up front.

Interview Question – How much money do you have in the bank.   Answer Question

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in August 2010.

Interview Details – The environment is professional, in a quiet office. On the first day I was scheduled to meet with the Sales Manager, who basically just got to know me. One week later, I met with the Director of HR, who went over with me about the basic salary and bonus structure. This is a no salary job, and expect the first two years are very tough.

Interview Question – Why did you apply for this job? With your criteria, you could get a much better and easier position?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in July 2009.

Interview Details – The people doing the hiring will try their best to screen for the candidates who will be successful in this career. But it is impossible to get it 100% correct. If you are very outgoing, and have good sales skills, you will likely be given a try. Remember, if you're not producing, the company isn't paying you, so they don't have much to lose. But they will try to save some people who they feel won't be a good fit for the career, so for that you have to respect.

Interview Question – How many people would you say are in your natural market?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None, since all commission rates are already in place.