MassMutual Financial Services Professional Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Buffalo, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Submitted my Resume to a current agent. He forwarded it to the agency recruiter. He contacted me to take an online aptitude test, then interviewed with him for 2 hours. Interviewed with the sales manager, then with the general agent.. Had to pass a background check and credit check as well as obtain Life Insurance License at my own cost.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Zero negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for MassMutual

Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MassMutual (Center Valley, PA) in May 2010.

Interview

I was looking around in the industry and interviewed with MassMutual, Guardian, NYL, and Northwestern just to see what companies was the best. The interview processes are all the same, and I picked Northwestern out of the four because I thought they had the best training program.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Hunt Valley, MD) in May 2009.

Interview

First interview will be with a sales manager. They will review the sales process and the products that you will be able to sell. This can last about 30min to an hour. You will be questioned as to your self motivational skills and internal need to succeed. You will need to exhibit a competitive nature and provide examples. You will have at least one more interview with the sales manager and the general agent after the initial. At this time, the compesation schedule and bonus structure will be reviewed. Typically the interviews end with a decision on your part. They will ask you if you want the job. This is a sales position and if you are willing to put forth the effort, there is minimal chance that you will not be hired. There is no base salary, so from a management standpoint....they have nothing to lose in giving you a shot. I met many hires from numerous educational and professional backgrounds. So industry experience is not necessarily required.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to make cold calls? No questions were particularly difficult or tricky as far as provoking thought. Just simply are you willing to do what is required. I was unsure if I was willing to cold call. That is why it was a difficult question for me.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no base salary option. So you are offered a few incentive based commission schedules. I chose the one with the highest potential payout.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nå (Norway)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Nå (Norway)) in September 2012.

Interview

4 interviews. All easy and pretty standard. It seems like they don't hire you until you ask to be hired or ask what the next steps are to starting at the company.

Interview Questions

• Took a survey online that statistically guessed that I would not be very successful that the position. As a matter of fact it was correct, I was not very successful at the time because I was uncomfortable on the phone   1 Answer

Negotiation

Here's what you are going to get paid if each type of insurance sale: $X, $Y, $Z. If you do joint work you get 1/2. You get this amount for residuals per year $xx.xx

Financial Service Professional Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in December 2011.

Interview

Originally i was contacted by a recruiter which scheduled me to do an interview. - The first interview was pretty basic, explaining how the position worked, following up with some basic interview questions. I was told to complete a personality test online before continuing on to the next interview. - The Second interview consisted of more questions. These questions were mainly geared towards the understanding of the position and the type of person you are. Seeking that you are a rational, logical, motivated, and someone who can take rejection. Overall I found everyone to be very nice and professional. The atmosphere of the office made me feel very high up and prestige.

Interview Questions

• where do you see your self in 3 years? what about in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • what are characteristics of a financial services professional   Answer Question

I didn't feel i would be able to market myself after using all of my natural resources (family & friends)

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in July 2011.

Interview

Before you can sell they want to first make sure you have your Life and Health Insurance License. And even after that you have two sit for about 2 weeks for training to make sure you say exactly, word for word, their sales language when you are infront of someone.

Interview Questions

• You have to compile a list of 200 people that you will call on for your first sales.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable financing.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in November 2010.

Interview

Contacted by MassMutual Rep for a 1:1 interview after applying online. First interview was an overview of the company and products they offer, basic questions about myself (i.e. Do you have a large contact base, would you be willing to work off commission, etc...). Second interview consisted of a more in depth view of the company and systems/processes used to prospect and keep clients, and an offer.

Interview Questions

• If offered a position, do you believe that you will have a large enough contact base to begin prospecting ? (large enough meant at least 200)   1 Answer

No base salary, commission only.

Financial Service Professional Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in August 2010.

Interview

The environment is professional, in a quiet office. On the first day I was scheduled to meet with the Sales Manager, who basically just got to know me. One week later, I met with the Director of HR, who went over with me about the basic salary and bonus structure. This is a no salary job, and expect the first two years are very tough.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this job? With your criteria, you could get a much better and easier position?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in January 2010.

Interview

Go through 4 interviews. They ask a lot of questions to try to get to know me. Not just work questions but life goals. I think its nice that they want to know how I am as a person to see how I will fit not only in the industry, but in the culture of the office.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No. Pretty self explanitory

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in November 2009.

Interview

The interview process is a Four step process. 1-Meet and Greet with potential Sales Manager/Recruiter 2-Online Personality Test which must be passed to move on 3-In depth 1:1 interview with assigned Sales Manager 4-1:1 conversation with the General Agent. The General Agent is the Principal of the agency...the head honcho. The questions are aimed at qualifying one's character, values, and weaknesses. The most vital aspect of the entire process (assuming one doesn't freak out the interviewer at the 1st meet and greet and passes the personality test) is proving to the organization that you are a genuine, highly motivated individual who can work well in teams.

Interview Questions

• Thinking back to kindergarten, what are your most vivid thoughts regarding your friends?   1 Answer

Negotiation

MassMutual is probably the top 1 or 2 Life Insurance/Financial Services Companies in the USA. It is also a mutual company, owned by its clients. Make sure to interview at other highly rated, well respected companies. Ideally, you want to be with a mutual company with a strong Whole Life product selection. In addition, from my perspective, target companies that work strongly with small business owners. With all that said, let's say you've interviewed with North Western Mutual Life (our #1 competitor), New York Life, and MetLife. At that point its where you feel comfortable, where you feel wanted and supported. I interviewed with MetLife, which offers new agents a 26 week salary of 600-900/week to get you started. It is an attractive feature, but the culture wasn't a fit. It had a "meatmarket" type culture, 150 agents, 90% men, where cold calling is enforced. The market MetLife works within is also more blue collar and I wanted to work the white collar market due to the fact that that's where my natural market resides. With MetLife ruled out, NWML and NY Life are left. These are both mutual companies. NWML is tecnically #1, MassMutual is #2 (almost equal though and i'll tell you why), and NY Life fits in the the Top 4. My best advice is to learn about the differences between "mutual" companies and "stock" companies. MetLife is a stock company, as are most. I'll let you do your homework on that topic. Lastly,the reason i went with MassMutual was due to the fact that I have the ability to sell products outside of MassMutual should there be an underwriting or cost issue. This = flexibility. NWML is proprietary. You can only sell NWML product. Period. Overall, I felt right at home at Mass, it is a caring yet competive culture where nearly everyone is likeable.