MassMutual

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2011.

Interview Details – Received a call from a recruiter and conducted a phone interview the next day. After phone interview was asked to a 1:1 meeting with recruiter. After 1:1 meeting, asked to take Personality test, conduct a Market Inventory Survey and Watering Hole/Hangout survey. Asked to 3rd interview and met with Hiring Manager/Recruiter.

Interview Question – What was a challenging situation you had with a customer?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Felt very uneasy about a purely commission-based position.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2008.

Interview Details – Start off with a phone interview to get to know the person. 1st interview is a general getting to know each other interview. 2nd interview they go in much more detail as for my background and goals. 3rd interview will be a presentation and some business planning discussion. 4th interview is a more in depth interview

Interview Question – why do i want to get into an entrepreneurial position   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in September 2011.

Interview Details – There were 5 interviews I went through. Here's how it went.
Phone Interview: They asked me a bunch of questions about why I wanted to be in this industry. They gave me some information about the position. What they did. How a day is like as an advisor. Pretty informative discussion.
1st Interview. They dug in about what I did in the past and what my skills were like. Talked about what my plans were and found out more about the business. I got much more information at this interview too. I liked how they were detailed about the questions, yet very helpful with answering mine too. Very straight forward. They didn't dance around with what i wanted to know.
2nd Interview. Questions were harder. Got to know each other much more. At this point I felt like it was a really good fit for me because I knew what I was getting into.
3rd Interview. I was to do a business plan for this career. Took a lot of time, but it was really good. Made me learn about what I was getting into and more about myself. Made me visualize this industry a lot better. Really glad I did it not just for the interview but for myself too.
4th Interview. Probably the deepest interview in regards to getting to know my life. Business and personal stuff. Talked about what made me who I am today. Talked about what I wanted in the future. Got to really know more about the company. Felt really good about it.

Interview Question – Asking about my business plan for my future. Thought it might be easy to answer, but I never interviewed at a place where they cared about my personal lifestyle too. Too me I was thrown off, but I liked the fact that they cared about what my life goals were.   Answer Question

Newport Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at MassMutual in July 2013.

Interview Details – 1st interview the managing director sells you the job. makes the job sound really good, doesn't tell you that its a sales job. Then you get a personality test. After that, they make you do a project 200 form in which they ask you to make a "prospect list" of 200 individuals and eventually sell to them yourself. This is what got me thinking about declining. 2nd interview Declined to Pursue. Its a sales job, not question about it. Wasn't willing to sell to friends and family to start out a "client base". Potential payout is very good however, but money wasn't enough to make me pursue. Most insurance jobs are the same. Stay away if you don't like sales, especially selling to friends and family.

Interview Question – Are you willing to market to friends and family?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Project 200 List was a huge nail-biter.

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was on campus and was only about 15 minutes asking about myself. The next interview was more of an orientation and they gave a 3 hour presentation on what the company was about. It was informative and after there was a 20 minute interview getting to know me.

Interview Question – Pretty basic questions. Such as "why do you want to work for us?"   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative

The process took 2 days - interviewed at MassMutual in March 2011.

Interview Details – The interview is a two step process: first, a one on one interview with the recruiter followed by an online personality test, and second, a one on one interview with the sales manager. The interview is straight forward and professional. They are very clear about the challenging nature of a job as an insurance salesman, especially for a recent college graduate who most likely does not have a large client base, which is an essential part of the job.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward interview. They just want to make sure that you have some desire to sell their products.

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate. Your salary will be dependent on how much you sell.

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – There are three interviews. The first interview be prepared to ask of the questions. The second interview is more formal. The interviewer will dig deeper to ensure you understand what type of job your are applying for and if you are a good fit. The third interview is a career presentation

Interview Question – None, because you structured the interview for the most part. I was required to do an assignment at the end to get me familiar with networking with strangers.   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2012.

Interview Details – The Interview was relaxed, important key is to show confidence even if you have no sales experience. Show your ability to learn and excel in sales through various activities you have done in the past. Be confident and present yourself in a outgoing way. Mass Mutual focuses on maintaining long lasting relationships and keeping clients with the company for all financial needs. Do your research on the company and brush up on your communication skills and you should be fine.

Interview Question – What motivates you?   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – Very easy interview process. This is a commission based sales position. All they are interested in is if you have basic math skills and if you are easy enough to be trained to make a sale. They would also want to know that you are very social and have plenty of contacts. The down side is that they dont pay until you get your licences which could be anywhere between 6-26 weeks. You have to pay for the study materials and the fees (about $ 250) and they reimburse you after you become a full time FPA.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at MassMutual

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual Financial Services Representative interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by MassMutual employees and interview candidates.