MassMutual Financial Services Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

21 interviews

2.6

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Services Representative Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2014.

A local agency partner found my resume that I posted on an internet job board and called me. The initial correspondence of a phone call and subsequent text messages were a bit unusual to me (who has no experience in sales). Fresh out of college with my masters, I decided to come in and speak the MassMutual agent. Mostly, the MassMutual agent spoke about how the firm uses the software LEAP and he wants me to sell this product. The agent seemed very excited about this new program (LEAP, which is a multifaceted cash flow manager) and tells me all the great shining things about the products, company, and opportunities (I'd be making a lot of money -- he just didn't say when I would be making that money. Plus, all commission based pay) - rough sledding for a recent college grad with some to pay for a student loan. This informational interview proceeded for about an hour. Overall, I perceived the local agent as a person that is not a greedy insurance peddler, but I only had one meeting. I was offered to start right away.

Interview Questions
  • Very unorthodox meeting (wouldn't even call it an interview). Basically, I was given a brief tutorial about the software and was given tutorial of the agency philosophy. Then, I was asked my thoughts and what did I expect.   Answer Question

As a graduate student, I had only been out on the market for two weeks, and I was hesitant to take a commission based salary.

Other Interview Reviews for MassMutual

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at MassMutual.

The entire interview was very easy. Basically if you are a likeable person and can pass through all of the behavioral interviews, you'll get it. The clincher is whether or not you have an established "natural" market in the bay area. You will need to bring in a book of about 200 people you can call. You will need their address, phone number, email, salary, life status, etc.... After that, you ask for referrals. Basically it's a ponzi scheme. If you're okay pushing and selling life insurance to your friends and friends' friends, go for it.
    The base bay is 18,000 for the first year. After that, its purely commission basis.

Didn't feel comfortable bringing a book of information that many spammers would kill for. In addition, you won't learn much for the first year or so. Their training seemed to be all about memorizing a script.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at MassMutual in March 2014.

Very straightforward relaxed interview. They really just ask if you have any questions. They will give you the job, they want someone who has connections and doesn't mind not getting paid for a few months while they develop their network.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at MassMutual in August 2013.

Set up with the office administrator. I had two interviews with one of the two sales managers in the office. The first was a basic interview with generic questions, the second was more oriented towards explaining how the company works and giving me a tour of the office. The pay structure was also explained at the second interview, although it sounded much better than it is in reality.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no difficult questions. The standard questions from any interview were there, such as "where do you see yourself in five years?", etc. In addition, I was given the link to a survey to take that ranks my potential sales ability on a scale of 1-5, with 5 showing great potential as a salesman and 1 implying that maybe you should look for another job. Although the manager said they don't choose to hire or not solely based on that survey, it apparently is given some weight.   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at MassMutual.

The interviewing process takes three to four steps. Initially, the recruiter wants to get to know you better, then the second interview goes onto more detail regarding the position.

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2011.

Met with hiring manage, interview lasted a little more than an hour. Explained how to job worked either got $30,000 base + 50% commission or no base salary and 90% commission of your sales. Not sure about sales positions myself, they make me a little nervous but I thought it might be worth a try. You only receive a small stipend for the 2 week training that you have to attend in San Antonio, TX that doesn't even cover your food for the time so the rest is out of your own pocket. No compensation for mileage or cell phone either.

Financial Services Representative Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2014.

I met a recruiter at a university career fair, he asked for my resume and contacted me a few weeks later. We interviewed at the university then later a couple of times at the office. The interviews were mainly to check for the right personality type. There was also a market survey process that was less stringent that the competitor Northwestern Mutual's. I recommend that if you do not enjoy the market survey 100%, do not take the job. The surveys should literally be the easiest thing in the world. If they stress you out at all, go do something else. Seriously.

Interview Questions
    • What does the term "financial" mean to you?   View Answer

The office was located in a suburb, and I preferred to work in the city (I got another offer from a competitor in the city)

Anonymous Employee  in  Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MassMutual in October 2013.

Very lax hiring process, met with one manager who was very friendly there were no behavioral baed questions more of just a conversation getting to know me.

Interview Questions

Decided not interested in selling insurance

Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2008.

The interview process went pretty much as expected. Everyone was very helpful and always professional. I meet a representative at a Career Fair not knowing if I would be interested in the industry and thought I might as well give it a shot. Ended up being more of a sales job, however it looked like a great company to work for if you intend to be in the financial industry.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any connections in the geographic area?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a situation where you had to learn something new in a short time. How did you do this?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2013.

First interview was on campus and was only about 15 minutes asking about myself. The next interview was more of an orientation and they gave a 3 hour presentation on what the company was about. It was informative and after there was a 20 minute interview getting to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic questions. Such as "why do you want to work for us?"   Answer Question

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!