MassMutual

Updated Nov 11, 2014

2.6

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Services Representative Interview

Interview process was broke into two parts . Two face to face interviews, followed by personality tests. Once the tests were taken a Sales Manager contacted myself to discuss this test.

Interview Questions
  • Most Difficult part of the interview was filling an excel sheet with 200 people. This would be your market you would contact the first few weeks working for MassMutual   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MassMutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Normal interview questions about why you think you will succeed as a rep. Have to consent to a background check and credit check before being hired.

First exposure was a group setting in which the agency recruiter gave a presentation. From there, I had a one on one interview a week later. I then met the sales manager for an interview and was then offered a position.

No negotiation - 100% commission job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MassMutual in March 2014.

Very straightforward relaxed interview. They really just ask if you have any questions. They will give you the job, they want someone who has connections and doesn't mind not getting paid for a few months while they develop their network.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at MassMutual.

The entire interview was very easy. Basically if you are a likeable person and can pass through all of the behavioral interviews, you'll get it. The clincher is whether or not you have an established "natural" market in the bay area. You will need to bring in a book of about 200 people you can call. You will need their address, phone number, email, salary, life status, etc.... After that, you ask for referrals. Basically it's a ponzi scheme. If you're okay pushing and selling life insurance to your friends and friends' friends, go for it.
    The base bay is 18,000 for the first year. After that, its purely commission basis.

Didn't feel comfortable bringing a book of information that many spammers would kill for. In addition, you won't learn much for the first year or so. Their training seemed to be all about memorizing a script.

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MassMutual in January 2014.

A local agency partner found my resume that I posted on an internet job board and called me. The initial correspondence of a phone call and subsequent text messages were a bit unusual to me (who has no experience in sales). Fresh out of college with my masters, I decided to come in and speak the MassMutual agent. Mostly, the MassMutual agent spoke about how the firm uses the software LEAP and he wants me to sell this product. The agent seemed very excited about this new program (LEAP, which is a multifaceted cash flow manager) and tells me all the great shining things about the products, company, and opportunities (I'd be making a lot of money -- he just didn't say when I would be making that money. Plus, all commission based pay) - rough sledding for a recent college grad with some to pay for a student loan. This informational interview proceeded for about an hour. Overall, I perceived the local agent as a person that is not a greedy insurance peddler, but I only had one meeting. I was offered to start right away.

Interview Questions
    • Very unorthodox meeting (wouldn't even call it an interview). Basically, I was given a brief tutorial about the software and was given tutorial of the agency philosophy. Then, I was asked my thoughts and what did I expect.   Answer Question

As a graduate student, I had only been out on the market for two weeks, and I was hesitant to take a commission based salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MassMutual in August 2013.

Set up with the office administrator. I had two interviews with one of the two sales managers in the office. The first was a basic interview with generic questions, the second was more oriented towards explaining how the company works and giving me a tour of the office. The pay structure was also explained at the second interview, although it sounded much better than it is in reality.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no difficult questions. The standard questions from any interview were there, such as "where do you see yourself in five years?", etc. In addition, I was given the link to a survey to take that ranks my potential sales ability on a scale of 1-5, with 5 showing great potential as a salesman and 1 implying that maybe you should look for another job. Although the manager said they don't choose to hire or not solely based on that survey, it apparently is given some weight.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at MassMutual in October 2013.

Very lax hiring process, met with one manager who was very friendly there were no behavioral baed questions more of just a conversation getting to know me.

Interview Questions

Decided not interested in selling insurance

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MassMutual.

The interviewing process takes three to four steps. Initially, the recruiter wants to get to know you better, then the second interview goes onto more detail regarding the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at MassMutual in February 2011.

Met with hiring manage, interview lasted a little more than an hour. Explained how to job worked either got $30,000 base + 50% commission or no base salary and 90% commission of your sales. Not sure about sales positions myself, they make me a little nervous but I thought it might be worth a try. You only receive a small stipend for the 2 week training that you have to attend in San Antonio, TX that doesn't even cover your food for the time so the rest is out of your own pocket. No compensation for mileage or cell phone either.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through other source – interviewed at MassMutual in September 2014.

First interview was mostly an introduction to the company and how they operate. Seemed like a genuine and very employee centered atmosphere. Explained in detail sales strategy, commission structure and benefits. They expect you to have a large friend/family (etc) base to begin your sales however are helpful in finding others. Their focus is on adding value to their clients and are dedicated to treating and providing the best service for each client. The company atmosphere seems very positive and conducive to growth.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer working independently or with someone constantly "breathing down your back" ?   View Answer

100% Commission based salary