MassMutual

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Financial Services Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2014.

Interview Details – I met a recruiter at a university career fair, he asked for my resume and contacted me a few weeks later. We interviewed at the university then later a couple of times at the office. The interviews were mainly to check for the right personality type. There was also a market survey process that was less stringent that the competitor Northwestern Mutual's. I recommend that if you do not enjoy the market survey 100%, do not take the job. The surveys should literally be the easiest thing in the world. If they stress you out at all, go do something else. Seriously.

Interview Question – What does the term "financial" mean to you?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The office was located in a suburb, and I preferred to work in the city (I got another offer from a competitor in the city)

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – There are three interviews. The first interview be prepared to ask of the questions. The second interview is more formal. The interviewer will dig deeper to ensure you understand what type of job your are applying for and if you are a good fit. The third interview is a career presentation

Interview Question – None, because you structured the interview for the most part. I was required to do an assignment at the end to get me familiar with networking with strangers.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward interview. They just want to make sure that you have some desire to sell their products.

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate. Your salary will be dependent on how much you sell.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at MassMutual in August 2013.

Interview Details – Set up with the office administrator. I had two interviews with one of the two sales managers in the office. The first was a basic interview with generic questions, the second was more oriented towards explaining how the company works and giving me a tour of the office. The pay structure was also explained at the second interview, although it sounded much better than it is in reality.

Interview Question – There were really no difficult questions. The standard questions from any interview were there, such as "where do you see yourself in five years?", etc. In addition, I was given the link to a survey to take that ranks my potential sales ability on a scale of 1-5, with 5 showing great potential as a salesman and 1 implying that maybe you should look for another job. Although the manager said they don't choose to hire or not solely based on that survey, it apparently is given some weight.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Services Representative

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2014.

Interview Details – A local agency partner found my resume that I posted on an internet job board and called me. The initial correspondence of a phone call and subsequent text messages were a bit unusual to me (who has no experience in sales). Fresh out of college with my masters, I decided to come in and speak the MassMutual agent. Mostly, the MassMutual agent spoke about how the firm uses the software LEAP and he wants me to sell this product. The agent seemed very excited about this new program (LEAP, which is a multifaceted cash flow manager) and tells me all the great shining things about the products, company, and opportunities (I'd be making a lot of money -- he just didn't say when I would be making that money. Plus, all commission based pay) - rough sledding for a recent college grad with some to pay for a student loan. This informational interview proceeded for about an hour. Overall, I perceived the local agent as a person that is not a greedy insurance peddler, but I only had one meeting. I was offered to start right away.

Interview Question – Very unorthodox meeting (wouldn't even call it an interview). Basically, I was given a brief tutorial about the software and was given tutorial of the agency philosophy. Then, I was asked my thoughts and what did I expect.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – As a graduate student, I had only been out on the market for two weeks, and I was hesitant to take a commission based salary.

Roseville, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MassMutual in October 2013.

Interview Details – Very lax hiring process, met with one manager who was very friendly there were no behavioral baed questions more of just a conversation getting to know me.

Interview Question – None unexpected   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Decided not interested in selling insurance

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was on campus and was only about 15 minutes asking about myself. The next interview was more of an orientation and they gave a 3 hour presentation on what the company was about. It was informative and after there was a 20 minute interview getting to know me.

Interview Question – Pretty basic questions. Such as "why do you want to work for us?"   Answer Question

Newport Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at MassMutual in July 2013.

Interview Details – 1st interview the managing director sells you the job. makes the job sound really good, doesn't tell you that its a sales job. Then you get a personality test. After that, they make you do a project 200 form in which they ask you to make a "prospect list" of 200 individuals and eventually sell to them yourself. This is what got me thinking about declining. 2nd interview Declined to Pursue. Its a sales job, not question about it. Wasn't willing to sell to friends and family to start out a "client base". Potential payout is very good however, but money wasn't enough to make me pursue. Most insurance jobs are the same. Stay away if you don't like sales, especially selling to friends and family.

Interview Question – Are you willing to market to friends and family?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Project 200 List was a huge nail-biter.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in September 2011.

Interview Details – There were 5 interviews I went through. Here's how it went.
Phone Interview: They asked me a bunch of questions about why I wanted to be in this industry. They gave me some information about the position. What they did. How a day is like as an advisor. Pretty informative discussion.
1st Interview. They dug in about what I did in the past and what my skills were like. Talked about what my plans were and found out more about the business. I got much more information at this interview too. I liked how they were detailed about the questions, yet very helpful with answering mine too. Very straight forward. They didn't dance around with what i wanted to know.
2nd Interview. Questions were harder. Got to know each other much more. At this point I felt like it was a really good fit for me because I knew what I was getting into.
3rd Interview. I was to do a business plan for this career. Took a lot of time, but it was really good. Made me learn about what I was getting into and more about myself. Made me visualize this industry a lot better. Really glad I did it not just for the interview but for myself too.
4th Interview. Probably the deepest interview in regards to getting to know my life. Business and personal stuff. Talked about what made me who I am today. Talked about what I wanted in the future. Got to really know more about the company. Felt really good about it.

Interview Question – Asking about my business plan for my future. Thought it might be easy to answer, but I never interviewed at a place where they cared about my personal lifestyle too. Too me I was thrown off, but I liked the fact that they cared about what my life goals were.   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative

I applied online and interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – The interviewing process takes three to four steps. Initially, the recruiter wants to get to know you better, then the second interview goes onto more detail regarding the position.

Interview Question – none. the interview is more of a conversation   Answer Question

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!