MassMutual

Updated Nov 11, 2014

2.6

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at MassMutual in July 2013.

1st interview the managing director sells you the job. makes the job sound really good, doesn't tell you that its a sales job. Then you get a personality test. After that, they make you do a project 200 form in which they ask you to make a "prospect list" of 200 individuals and eventually sell to them yourself. This is what got me thinking about declining. 2nd interview Declined to Pursue. Its a sales job, not question about it. Wasn't willing to sell to friends and family to start out a "client base". Potential payout is very good however, but money wasn't enough to make me pursue. Most insurance jobs are the same. Stay away if you don't like sales, especially selling to friends and family.

Interview Questions
  • Are you willing to market to friends and family?   View Answer

Project 200 List was a huge nail-biter.

Other Interview Reviews for MassMutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MassMutual in May 2013.

First interview was on campus and was only about 15 minutes asking about myself. The next interview was more of an orientation and they gave a 3 hour presentation on what the company was about. It was informative and after there was a 20 minute interview getting to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic questions. Such as "why do you want to work for us?"   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MassMutual.

The interviewing process takes three to four steps. Initially, the recruiter wants to get to know you better, then the second interview goes onto more detail regarding the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at MassMutual.

The entire interview was very easy. Basically if you are a likeable person and can pass through all of the behavioral interviews, you'll get it. The clincher is whether or not you have an established "natural" market in the bay area. You will need to bring in a book of about 200 people you can call. You will need their address, phone number, email, salary, life status, etc.... After that, you ask for referrals. Basically it's a ponzi scheme. If you're okay pushing and selling life insurance to your friends and friends' friends, go for it.
    The base bay is 18,000 for the first year. After that, its purely commission basis.

Didn't feel comfortable bringing a book of information that many spammers would kill for. In addition, you won't learn much for the first year or so. Their training seemed to be all about memorizing a script.

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual in April 2013.

I met with the recruiter in the Syosset office, Having experience in the field it was more like they where trying to bring me on board, and were selling the agency to me. I then met with the 2 General agents on different days and the position was offered to me. In all I met with 3 different people,

Interview Questions
    • none, they are trying to bring onboard experienced people so they are selling the agency to the interviewer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MassMutual.

I had a phone interview with-in a few days of submitting my resume. Simple questions, getting to know you. Then scheduled an in-person interview. Nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected durring the process. Told me I needed to complete a personality test online and if I passed, then I would be called back for a 3rd and 4th interview. I did not pass the personality test. Not sure if I would have accepted the offer, seemed to heavy on commission and sales and how many contacts I have in the area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MassMutual in September 2011.

There were 5 interviews I went through. Here's how it went.
    Phone Interview: They asked me a bunch of questions about why I wanted to be in this industry. They gave me some information about the position. What they did. How a day is like as an advisor. Pretty informative discussion.
    1st Interview. They dug in about what I did in the past and what my skills were like. Talked about what my plans were and found out more about the business. I got much more information at this interview too. I liked how they were detailed about the questions, yet very helpful with answering mine too. Very straight forward. They didn't dance around with what i wanted to know.
    2nd Interview. Questions were harder. Got to know each other much more. At this point I felt like it was a really good fit for me because I knew what I was getting into.
    3rd Interview. I was to do a business plan for this career. Took a lot of time, but it was really good. Made me learn about what I was getting into and more about myself. Made me visualize this industry a lot better. Really glad I did it not just for the interview but for myself too.
    4th Interview. Probably the deepest interview in regards to getting to know my life. Business and personal stuff. Talked about what made me who I am today. Talked about what I wanted in the future. Got to really know more about the company. Felt really good about it.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about my business plan for my future. Thought it might be easy to answer, but I never interviewed at a place where they cared about my personal lifestyle too. Too me I was thrown off, but I liked the fact that they cared about what my life goals were.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual in August 2011.

Pretty straight forward phone interview asking about your interest in MassMutual followed by a basic interview reviewing your background and the ways things work at MM. 2nd interview goes more in depth about how things actually work and how you rope clients in with the Recruiter. Declined the third interview with a manager.

Interview Questions

Uncomfortable with hugely commission based job and having to constantly be looking to bring in clients.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual in June 2011.

Received a call from a recruiter and conducted a phone interview the next day. After phone interview was asked to a 1:1 meeting with recruiter. After 1:1 meeting, asked to take Personality test, conduct a Market Inventory Survey and Watering Hole/Hangout survey. Asked to 3rd interview and met with Hiring Manager/Recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • What was a challenging situation you had with a customer?   Answer Question

Felt very uneasy about a purely commission-based position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at MassMutual in February 2011.

Met with hiring manage, interview lasted a little more than an hour. Explained how to job worked either got $30,000 base + 50% commission or no base salary and 90% commission of your sales. Not sure about sales positions myself, they make me a little nervous but I thought it might be worth a try. You only receive a small stipend for the 2 week training that you have to attend in San Antonio, TX that doesn't even cover your food for the time so the rest is out of your own pocket. No compensation for mileage or cell phone either.