MassMutual

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Getting the Interview

121 candidate interviews

Career Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in July 2010.

Interview Details – Meet with the Marketing Director, the assistant VP, and the President.

Interview Question – How long can you survive without pay?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Plenty of Risk and Opportunity

Sales Support Interview

Sales Support
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2010.

Interview Details – They were awful and promised a great career and compensation package in the interview process. BUT when given a job offer they could not offer any of the things they promised (any salary ALL commission), payment for required classes to be a personal wealth manager (insurance sales man)

Financial Analyst Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – I was contacted within a day of posting on an internet job board. They were accommodating to my schedule for an interview with a follow up confirmation email. Everyone one was very nice and my interviewer was not intimidating at all. Luckily I did research on the job before going as they were not very informative on the day to day activities.
Pros:
Some sort of training that may be worth it.
A stipend during training that may be decent money, they didn't provide a number
Cons:
 You have to find your own customers through cold calling or friends.
Post training, only commission.

Interview Question – Explain A time when you changed the mind of an authority figure.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't feel I would learn enough or earn enough money to justify such a large time commitment.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Representative Interview

Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2012.

Interview Details – One phone interview, followed by personality test. Once the personality test comes back as a match then another phone interview. If that goes well you meet in person and the offer is made. After background check and a few other little things you're set.

Interview Question – Nothing seemed too difficult, just be yourself and everything will be fine.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Better Job Offer

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and interviewed for a few minutes with a representative. That same representative asked me to come in to MassMutual's office here locally and talk further. After everything was complete, I was asked to think about the position, look over the material presented, and if I thought it would be a good fit I could continue on with the hiring process.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Orange, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at MassMutual in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was very relaxed, not many questions. It was mainly asking if you wanted to do it. Commission based pay. Let me repeat Commission based pay. They seem like they will hire anybody.

Pay can be good if you can sell a lot of plans.

Interview Question – Questions were simple. Just a personality test- can you sell something?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Other offers on the table that were more appealing came up.

Agency Tech Manager Interview

Riverside, RI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – Personal connection with prior tech manager

Interview Question – Nick, what style or method do you manage your personal office surroundings ... Guy was real Neat Freak..   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Briefly discussed money and limited potential for full time hours

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional
Jacksonville, FL

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2011.

Interview Details – They had me come in for multiple interviews/appointments over the course of a month. We had discussions and talks which were basically to judge my character and make sure I was personable and able to prospect for potential clients.

Interview Question – What makes you think you will be able to survive in this tough business?   Answer Question

Technical Agent Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – You will interview with several key/anchor Agents (high volume brokers) where they will ask you about their current technical issues (printer not working, weird pop-ups, mobile device settings, hard drive replacements). The second round is with a lead tech at the corporate office. After this you will interview with the "General Agent" who is the manager of the entire location (core agency). This is typically over a few days but could be done in one afternoon if they really like you.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. All of the very technical/high availability server/equipment is handled by corporate.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I as offered way less than average income, and actually less than my prior income. They knew that I had been unemployed and couldn't decline the low ball offer. Within a few days I found that the prior technical agent made twice what they offered me and left because there was too much work.

Sales Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at MassMutual in April 2011.

Interview Details – Responded to an add on Craigslist. The ad was from a recruiter hired by Mass Mutual. Met the recruiter at Starbucks, he set up the interview. Met the office manager, and had him sold on me in 2 minutes. The rest of the hour long meeting was him selling Mass Mutual to me.

Interview Question – Why Mass Mutual?   Answer Question