MassMutual

Updated Aug 12, 2014

Average Difficulty
138 candidate interviews

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – Talked for about 20 minutes with interviewer and then took a 20 minute personality test on computer. It didn't seem like a very good work environment, there were a lot of cubicles where I think I would have worked.

Interview Question – Three good/bad traits   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Financial Services Professional

Interviewed at MassMutual

Interview Details – 2 interviews; office manager found my resume on indeed.com and was interested in me. Round were in-person and easy. Just be yourself and be confident. You do not need to have any experience, just the willingness to learn and grow.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had to persuade someone and how did you make them see your point of view?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Recent college graduate that had multiple interviews for other companies at the same time. Also, this job is solely commission.

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at MassMutual in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very straightforward relaxed interview. They really just ask if you have any questions. They will give you the job, they want someone who has connections and doesn't mind not getting paid for a few months while they develop their network.

Interview Question – They ask you to ask them questions   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Advisor

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was very laid back and easy. The recruiter contacted me from a resume I submitted through a job-seeking website for my college. The interviewing process included 3 interviews that were about an hour long each. This is a sales based position, so the recruiter really just asks behavioral questions. I felt that most of the time was spent with the recruiter trying to convince me to take the job.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was in the first interview when he asked me what my questions were right off the bat.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The position is commission based, so there was no negotiation phase.

Advisor Interview

Advisor
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – A couple of phone conversations and in person conversations

Interview Question – nothing. they will pretty much hire anyone   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not an option

Technical Agent Interview

Technical Agent
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – You will interview with several key/anchor Agents (high volume brokers) where they will ask you about their current technical issues (printer not working, weird pop-ups, mobile device settings, hard drive replacements). The second round is with a lead tech at the corporate office. After this you will interview with the "General Agent" who is the manager of the entire location (core agency). This is typically over a few days but could be done in one afternoon if they really like you.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. All of the very technical/high availability server/equipment is handled by corporate.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I as offered way less than average income, and actually less than my prior income. They knew that I had been unemployed and couldn't decline the low ball offer. Within a few days I found that the prior technical agent made twice what they offered me and left because there was too much work.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2012.

Interview Details – One phone interview, followed by personality test. Once the personality test comes back as a match then another phone interview. If that goes well you meet in person and the offer is made. After background check and a few other little things you're set.

Interview Question – Nothing seemed too difficult, just be yourself and everything will be fine.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Better Job Offer

Financial Services Representative

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2014.

Interview Details – A local agency partner found my resume that I posted on an internet job board and called me. The initial correspondence of a phone call and subsequent text messages were a bit unusual to me (who has no experience in sales). Fresh out of college with my masters, I decided to come in and speak the MassMutual agent. Mostly, the MassMutual agent spoke about how the firm uses the software LEAP and he wants me to sell this product. The agent seemed very excited about this new program (LEAP, which is a multifaceted cash flow manager) and tells me all the great shining things about the products, company, and opportunities (I'd be making a lot of money -- he just didn't say when I would be making that money. Plus, all commission based pay) - rough sledding for a recent college grad with some to pay for a student loan. This informational interview proceeded for about an hour. Overall, I perceived the local agent as a person that is not a greedy insurance peddler, but I only had one meeting. I was offered to start right away.

Interview Question – Very unorthodox meeting (wouldn't even call it an interview). Basically, I was given a brief tutorial about the software and was given tutorial of the agency philosophy. Then, I was asked my thoughts and what did I expect.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – As a graduate student, I had only been out on the market for two weeks, and I was hesitant to take a commission based salary.

Orange, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at MassMutual in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was very relaxed, not many questions. It was mainly asking if you wanted to do it. Commission based pay. Let me repeat Commission based pay. They seem like they will hire anybody.

Pay can be good if you can sell a lot of plans.

Interview Question – Questions were simple. Just a personality test- can you sell something?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Other offers on the table that were more appealing came up.

San Jose, CA

I applied online and interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – The entire interview was very easy. Basically if you are a likeable person and can pass through all of the behavioral interviews, you'll get it. The clincher is whether or not you have an established "natural" market in the bay area. You will need to bring in a book of about 200 people you can call. You will need their address, phone number, email, salary, life status, etc.... After that, you ask for referrals. Basically it's a ponzi scheme. If you're okay pushing and selling life insurance to your friends and friends' friends, go for it.
The base bay is 18,000 for the first year. After that, its purely commission basis.

Reason for Declining – Didn't feel comfortable bringing a book of information that many spammers would kill for. In addition, you won't learn much for the first year or so. Their training seemed to be all about memorizing a script.