MassMutual

2.5

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual.

A couple of phone conversations and in person conversations

not an option

Technical Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MassMutual in February 2014.

You will interview with several key/anchor Agents (high volume brokers) where they will ask you about their current technical issues (printer not working, weird pop-ups, mobile device settings, hard drive replacements). The second round is with a lead tech at the corporate office. After this you will interview with the "General Agent" who is the manager of the entire location (core agency). This is typically over a few days but could be done in one afternoon if they really like you.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. All of the very technical/high availability server/equipment is handled by corporate.   View Answer
    I as offered way less than average income, and actually less than my prior income. They knew that I had been unemployed and couldn't decline the low ball offer. Within a few days I found that the prior technical agent made twice what they offered me and left because there was too much work.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual in January 2012.

One phone interview, followed by personality test. Once the personality test comes back as a match then another phone interview. If that goes well you meet in person and the offer is made. After background check and a few other little things you're set.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing seemed too difficult, just be yourself and everything will be fine.   Answer Question

Better Job Offer

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MassMutual in January 2014.

A local agency partner found my resume that I posted on an internet job board and called me. The initial correspondence of a phone call and subsequent text messages were a bit unusual to me (who has no experience in sales). Fresh out of college with my masters, I decided to come in and speak the MassMutual agent. Mostly, the MassMutual agent spoke about how the firm uses the software LEAP and he wants me to sell this product. The agent seemed very excited about this new program (LEAP, which is a multifaceted cash flow manager) and tells me all the great shining things about the products, company, and opportunities (I'd be making a lot of money -- he just didn't say when I would be making that money. Plus, all commission based pay) - rough sledding for a recent college grad with some to pay for a student loan. This informational interview proceeded for about an hour. Overall, I perceived the local agent as a person that is not a greedy insurance peddler, but I only had one meeting. I was offered to start right away.

Interview Questions
    • Very unorthodox meeting (wouldn't even call it an interview). Basically, I was given a brief tutorial about the software and was given tutorial of the agency philosophy. Then, I was asked my thoughts and what did I expect.   Answer Question

As a graduate student, I had only been out on the market for two weeks, and I was hesitant to take a commission based salary.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MassMutual in October 2013.

The interview was very relaxed, not many questions. It was mainly asking if you wanted to do it. Commission based pay. Let me repeat Commission based pay. They seem like they will hire anybody.

Pay can be good if you can sell a lot of plans.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were simple. Just a personality test- can you sell something?   View Answer

Other offers on the table that were more appealing came up.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at MassMutual.

The entire interview was very easy. Basically if you are a likeable person and can pass through all of the behavioral interviews, you'll get it. The clincher is whether or not you have an established "natural" market in the bay area. You will need to bring in a book of about 200 people you can call. You will need their address, phone number, email, salary, life status, etc.... After that, you ask for referrals. Basically it's a ponzi scheme. If you're okay pushing and selling life insurance to your friends and friends' friends, go for it.
    The base bay is 18,000 for the first year. After that, its purely commission basis.

Didn't feel comfortable bringing a book of information that many spammers would kill for. In addition, you won't learn much for the first year or so. Their training seemed to be all about memorizing a script.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MassMutual.

I was contacted within a day of posting on an internet job board. They were accommodating to my schedule for an interview with a follow up confirmation email. Everyone one was very nice and my interviewer was not intimidating at all. Luckily I did research on the job before going as they were not very informative on the day to day activities.
    Pros:
    Some sort of training that may be worth it.
    A stipend during training that may be decent money, they didn't provide a number
    Cons:
     You have to find your own customers through cold calling or friends.
    Post training, only commission.

Interview Questions
    • Explain A time when you changed the mind of an authority figure.   Answer Question

I didn't feel I would learn enough or earn enough money to justify such a large time commitment.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual in November 2012.

Seemed very different from others. Only 3 interviews all less than 30 minutes of the company promoting themselves. No phone interview, no IQ test, only personality test and background check.

Seems like a great company but I received an offer from my dream job.

Agency Tech Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, RI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at MassMutual.

Personal connection with prior tech manager

Interview Questions
    • Nick, what style or method do you manage your personal office surroundings ... Guy was real Neat Freak..   View Answer
    Briefly discussed money and limited potential for full time hours

Career Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual in July 2010.

Meet with the Marketing Director, the assistant VP, and the President.

Plenty of Risk and Opportunity