MassMutual

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Sandy Springs, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2013.

Interview Details – The company posted a job opening on an online site and I sent in my resume and received a call the very next day. After talking for about 5 minutes, we setup a face-to-face interview for the following week. I had two in person interviews, and the manager was very friendly and explained how the company worked, what the position looked like, etc.

Interview Question – What are your career goals?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied through college or university - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2013.

Interview Details – The position has great commission potential. The interviewer was a great employee. He sat down with me twice and explained as much as I wanted to know about the company and the position. The interviewer was greatly interested in expanding the company and bringing in new employees. I ended up not taking the job because the position was all commission based, but it seemed like a well-run company and I have nothing negative to say about the company.

Interview Question – The interview was more of a sit down conversation instead of a full blown question type interview.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2012.

Interview Details – They ask a lot of questions about your personality, what you did in the past, and what you want to get out of a career. What I liked about the process is that they cared about what you want personally. There's quite a bit of parts to it. There's a part where you do a partial business plan for what you're going to do. There was 5 interviews I went through. At the end of it, I think I got to understand it pretty well, and I'm sure they knew me pretty well too.

Interview Question – How to deal with failures. They'll ask the question and really grind down on that.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in September 2011.

Interview Details – There were 5 interviews I went through. Here's how it went.
Phone Interview: They asked me a bunch of questions about why I wanted to be in this industry. They gave me some information about the position. What they did. How a day is like as an advisor. Pretty informative discussion.
1st Interview. They dug in about what I did in the past and what my skills were like. Talked about what my plans were and found out more about the business. I got much more information at this interview too. I liked how they were detailed about the questions, yet very helpful with answering mine too. Very straight forward. They didn't dance around with what i wanted to know.
2nd Interview. Questions were harder. Got to know each other much more. At this point I felt like it was a really good fit for me because I knew what I was getting into.
3rd Interview. I was to do a business plan for this career. Took a lot of time, but it was really good. Made me learn about what I was getting into and more about myself. Made me visualize this industry a lot better. Really glad I did it not just for the interview but for myself too.
4th Interview. Probably the deepest interview in regards to getting to know my life. Business and personal stuff. Talked about what made me who I am today. Talked about what I wanted in the future. Got to really know more about the company. Felt really good about it.

Interview Question – Asking about my business plan for my future. Thought it might be easy to answer, but I never interviewed at a place where they cared about my personal lifestyle too. Too me I was thrown off, but I liked the fact that they cared about what my life goals were.   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative

I applied online and interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – The interviewing process takes three to four steps. Initially, the recruiter wants to get to know you better, then the second interview goes onto more detail regarding the position.

Interview Question – none. the interview is more of a conversation   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied online and interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – The entire interview was very easy. Basically if you are a likeable person and can pass through all of the behavioral interviews, you'll get it. The clincher is whether or not you have an established "natural" market in the bay area. You will need to bring in a book of about 200 people you can call. You will need their address, phone number, email, salary, life status, etc.... After that, you ask for referrals. Basically it's a ponzi scheme. If you're okay pushing and selling life insurance to your friends and friends' friends, go for it.
The base bay is 18,000 for the first year. After that, its purely commission basis.

Reason for Declining – Didn't feel comfortable bringing a book of information that many spammers would kill for. In addition, you won't learn much for the first year or so. Their training seemed to be all about memorizing a script.

Actuarial Consultant Interview

Actuarial Consultant

Interviewed at MassMutual

Interview Details – You interview with about 5-7 people (some of which are also Actuarial Cosultants). You also have a lunch interview which is designed to inform them what you are like under less formal situations.

Interview Question – Sometimes you might be given a case study depending on who is interviewing you.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – I was contacted within a day of posting on an internet job board. They were accommodating to my schedule for an interview with a follow up confirmation email. Everyone one was very nice and my interviewer was not intimidating at all. Luckily I did research on the job before going as they were not very informative on the day to day activities.
Pros:
Some sort of training that may be worth it.
A stipend during training that may be decent money, they didn't provide a number
Cons:
 You have to find your own customers through cold calling or friends.
Post training, only commission.

Interview Question – Explain A time when you changed the mind of an authority figure.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't feel I would learn enough or earn enough money to justify such a large time commitment.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – # interviews then offer

Interview Question – Why you want to work here   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was commission only

Newport Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with-in a few days of submitting my resume. Simple questions, getting to know you. Then scheduled an in-person interview. Nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected durring the process. Told me I needed to complete a personality test online and if I passed, then I would be called back for a 3rd and 4th interview. I did not pass the personality test. Not sure if I would have accepted the offer, seemed to heavy on commission and sales and how many contacts I have in the area.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected for the in person interview   Answer Question