MassMutual

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MassMutual in May 2013.

First interview was on campus and was only about 15 minutes asking about myself. The next interview was more of an orientation and they gave a 3 hour presentation on what the company was about. It was informative and after there was a 20 minute interview getting to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic questions. Such as "why do you want to work for us?"   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

The position has great commission potential. The interviewer was a great employee. He sat down with me twice and explained as much as I wanted to know about the company and the position. The interviewer was greatly interested in expanding the company and bringing in new employees. I ended up not taking the job because the position was all commission based, but it seemed like a well-run company and I have nothing negative to say about the company.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was more of a sit down conversation instead of a full blown question type interview.   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MassMutual.

The interviewing process takes three to four steps. Initially, the recruiter wants to get to know you better, then the second interview goes onto more detail regarding the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at MassMutual.

The entire interview was very easy. Basically if you are a likeable person and can pass through all of the behavioral interviews, you'll get it. The clincher is whether or not you have an established "natural" market in the bay area. You will need to bring in a book of about 200 people you can call. You will need their address, phone number, email, salary, life status, etc.... After that, you ask for referrals. Basically it's a ponzi scheme. If you're okay pushing and selling life insurance to your friends and friends' friends, go for it.
    The base bay is 18,000 for the first year. After that, its purely commission basis.

Didn't feel comfortable bringing a book of information that many spammers would kill for. In addition, you won't learn much for the first year or so. Their training seemed to be all about memorizing a script.

Actuarial Consultant Interview

You interview with about 5-7 people (some of which are also Actuarial Cosultants). You also have a lunch interview which is designed to inform them what you are like under less formal situations.

Interview Questions
    • Sometimes you might be given a case study depending on who is interviewing you.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MassMutual.

I was contacted within a day of posting on an internet job board. They were accommodating to my schedule for an interview with a follow up confirmation email. Everyone one was very nice and my interviewer was not intimidating at all. Luckily I did research on the job before going as they were not very informative on the day to day activities.
    Pros:
    Some sort of training that may be worth it.
    A stipend during training that may be decent money, they didn't provide a number
    Cons:
     You have to find your own customers through cold calling or friends.
    Post training, only commission.

Interview Questions
    • Explain A time when you changed the mind of an authority figure.   Answer Question

I didn't feel I would learn enough or earn enough money to justify such a large time commitment.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual.

# interviews then offer

It was commission only

Recruiting Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual in April 2013.

I was introduced to the Head Recruiter at a career fair and sparked up some great conversation. After some initial interest, I was told to email my resume for the position. About a 1-2 weeks later I heard back from the recruiter and has a simple phone interview. A couple days later I was offered the position and accepted.

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual in April 2013.

I met with the recruiter in the Syosset office, Having experience in the field it was more like they where trying to bring me on board, and were selling the agency to me. I then met with the 2 General agents on different days and the position was offered to me. In all I met with 3 different people,

Interview Questions
    • none, they are trying to bring onboard experienced people so they are selling the agency to the interviewer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MassMutual.

I had a phone interview with-in a few days of submitting my resume. Simple questions, getting to know you. Then scheduled an in-person interview. Nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected durring the process. Told me I needed to complete a personality test online and if I passed, then I would be called back for a 3rd and 4th interview. I did not pass the personality test. Not sure if I would have accepted the offer, seemed to heavy on commission and sales and how many contacts I have in the area.