MassMutual

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Advisor Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – A couple of phone conversations and in person conversations

Interview Question – nothing. they will pretty much hire anyone   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not an option

Financial Services Professional Interview

Financial Services Professional
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details – Applied online, Was asked to attend WebEx, called into office for a first round interview, then asked for a second round interview

Interview Question – First interview round is mainly to get to know the candidate better on a more personal and career goals setting   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2012.

Interview Details – They ask a lot of questions about your personality, what you did in the past, and what you want to get out of a career. What I liked about the process is that they cared about what you want personally. There's quite a bit of parts to it. There's a part where you do a partial business plan for what you're going to do. There was 5 interviews I went through. At the end of it, I think I got to understand it pretty well, and I'm sure they knew me pretty well too.

Interview Question – How to deal with failures. They'll ask the question and really grind down on that.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in September 2011.

Interview Details – There were 5 interviews I went through. Here's how it went.
Phone Interview: They asked me a bunch of questions about why I wanted to be in this industry. They gave me some information about the position. What they did. How a day is like as an advisor. Pretty informative discussion.
1st Interview. They dug in about what I did in the past and what my skills were like. Talked about what my plans were and found out more about the business. I got much more information at this interview too. I liked how they were detailed about the questions, yet very helpful with answering mine too. Very straight forward. They didn't dance around with what i wanted to know.
2nd Interview. Questions were harder. Got to know each other much more. At this point I felt like it was a really good fit for me because I knew what I was getting into.
3rd Interview. I was to do a business plan for this career. Took a lot of time, but it was really good. Made me learn about what I was getting into and more about myself. Made me visualize this industry a lot better. Really glad I did it not just for the interview but for myself too.
4th Interview. Probably the deepest interview in regards to getting to know my life. Business and personal stuff. Talked about what made me who I am today. Talked about what I wanted in the future. Got to really know more about the company. Felt really good about it.

Interview Question – Asking about my business plan for my future. Thought it might be easy to answer, but I never interviewed at a place where they cared about my personal lifestyle too. Too me I was thrown off, but I liked the fact that they cared about what my life goals were.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2008.

Interview Details – Start off with a phone interview to get to know the person. 1st interview is a general getting to know each other interview. 2nd interview they go in much more detail as for my background and goals. 3rd interview will be a presentation and some business planning discussion. 4th interview is a more in depth interview

Interview Question – why do i want to get into an entrepreneurial position   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Walnut Creek, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in March 2012.

Interview Details – I met the rep at a job fair at my school. He contacted me for a phone interview. After the phone interview he contacted me for an in person interview after which he sent me a personality test. I took the personality test and then the rep called me for a in person second interview.

Interview Question – Describe a conflict you have had with a past employer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Because I decided that a job in sales is not for me.

Financial Consultant Interview

Financial Consultant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2012.

Interview Details – The company is very young and enthusiastic about opportunities they have for the right candidate. They emphasize consistently that there is no pay upfront but that if you stay in a few years there will be a lot of pay for less work. They pay for half of your insurance license and upon hired you are trained for 4 days before you bring clients in. Nice office. NIce work culture.

Interview Question – Do you see yourself in this position?   View Answer

Marketing Consultant Interview

Marketing Consultant
Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in August 2011.

Interview Details – After I applied online for the marketing associate position I got a call from the recruiter at the office and was told that the job entailed a couple of things that I was unable to do. However, I was told that there was a financial advisor position available if I was interested. I accepted the offer and went in for my initial interview, which went well. I then had to take a personality test online.
After a couple of more interviews and after obtaining my Life, Accident & Health License I got an offer that stated that I have to meet a quota before getting an option of choosing a declining base salary, which I was told was an option from the beginning.
The people in the office are very nice friendly and helpful and the office is laid out very well. The only thing to watch out for, as I said before, is the fact that they don't offer a base salary until you meet a quota.

Interview Question – Do you find it difficult to talk to and meet new people?   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in August 2011.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward phone interview asking about your interest in MassMutual followed by a basic interview reviewing your background and the ways things work at MM. 2nd interview goes more in depth about how things actually work and how you rope clients in with the Recruiter. Declined the third interview with a manager.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Uncomfortable with hugely commission based job and having to constantly be looking to bring in clients.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2011.

Interview Details – Received a call from a recruiter and conducted a phone interview the next day. After phone interview was asked to a 1:1 meeting with recruiter. After 1:1 meeting, asked to take Personality test, conduct a Market Inventory Survey and Watering Hole/Hangout survey. Asked to 3rd interview and met with Hiring Manager/Recruiter.

Interview Question – What was a challenging situation you had with a customer?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Felt very uneasy about a purely commission-based position.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by MassMutual employees and interview candidates.