Massachusetts General Hospital

2.6

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Massachusetts General Hospital.

I submitted an application and heard back with a request for an interview about 3 weeks later. We scheduled an interview for the following week. The first round was about 45 minutes, with 2 employees who are of the same title as the job for which I was applying. They first asked me about myself and my resume and then moved into a section of behavioral-based questions. It was pretty relaxed and they were friendly. We then proceeded with an interview with the department head, with whom I spoke about my resume and general life (personal, school, and professional) with. It was an overall good experience but I withdrew my application because the salary was below what I could really accept.

Interview Questions
    • What are your salary expectations. Tell us about a time you failed and what you did about it. Several behavioral based questions but mostly standard in that respect.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlestown, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Massachusetts General Hospital in September 2013.

Was contacted directly by PI. Asked to submit references and invited in for a lunch interview the following week. Lasted about two hours. Fairly straightforward questions about my qualifications.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Massachusetts General Hospital in July 2013.

About a week after I applied to the CRC position online, I received a phone call from the Associate Director of the Clinical Trials Office and she conducted a brief phone interview and then scheduled an in-person interview. At the in-person interview I spoke with the Associate Director again and she explained the position in more depth. Most of the questions she asked were the same questions she asked during the phone interview. After speaking with her, I met with a Senior Coordinator (who I would report to) and he asked fairly standard interview questions. Examples include: "What types of bosses have you worked with in the past?", "How would you rate your organizational skills on a scale of 1-10?", etc. They didn't ask any technical questions and there really weren't any difficult questions. It was a run-of-the mill interview. Both interviewers were pleasant and engaging.

Interview Questions
    • This isn't difficult at all. It's just another example of one of the questions they asked. What's your biggest accomplishment to date.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Massachusetts General Hospital in July 2013.

I responded to an online ad on jobs.phds.org for a postdoctoral position. I explained my research background and interest in the project presented. The researcher in question liked my CV, and then requested my recommendations. After receiving those, I was invited for an on site interview. The interview process consisted of a formal presentation (similar to a dissertation public defense), followed by a short Q&A. I was then given 1:1 interviews with several other PIs in the group, the department chair, and then a few other postdocs in the lab. I was given an offer letter a few days later, and accepted a few days after that. Full time employment began several months later after paperwork and a background check.

Interview Questions
    • The department chair asked me what I wanted to do with my career. This is the question you have to answer honestly to get the most out of the interview.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I was given an offer letter.

Systems Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Massachusetts General Hospital in May 2013.

It was quick and fluid. You meet with members of a few different departments. Not much difficulty question wise.

Interview Questions
    • There was none. Just be yourself and talk about interests that pertain to techonology.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlestown, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Applied online through the Harvard portal. Received a phone call next day to arrange for an interview. The interview was 1 on 1 and fairly straightforward. Discussed skills and past experience, career goals, and work hour flexibility. The total process, including lunch with the current laboratory members, lasted approximately 3 hours. Received an offer the next day, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • One unexpected question that I was asked pertained to specifics of a recent scientific conference that I had attended. I was asked what my opinion of the keynote address was.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate. I felt the starting salary was reasonable and accepted the job as is.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Massachusetts General Hospital in October 2012.

Interviewed for an advertised *new* position(with job description);during interview process it became clear very quickly that the hiring manager still hadn't really thought out all the aspects of the job...as I was sitting there in front of him, he was thinking out loud about all the "extra" things they could tack on, "now that we'll have someone here to do(this)". Read:moving target. Every job does have its grey areas, granted, but they were in such a hurry to fill this one that they started getting people in to interview without the position being fully-formed.

Interview Questions
    • While still thinking up extra duties, he had a thought bubble and then told me that they had another site I'd "probably need to monitor if there are problems they can't handle", and it was located 2 miles across town. Since pretty much anyone who's got a brain takes the train to work there, I responded quietly: "Okay, but just to clarify, if I'm taking the train in to work, what would be the best way I'd be expected to get there?"
      Answer: "Oh, good question. Um, well, I guess we'll have to figure that out at some point..."
        View Answer

There's lots more not mentioned here;suffice it to say that they were in so much of a hurry to fill this important position that they never took time to stratify what it would entail, leading to a sure fail in trying to attain/exceed any expectations. Who wants to accept a position, no matter how lucrative, where you're set up for failure no matter how competent and experienced you are?

Clinical Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Massachusetts General Hospital in June 2012.

Interviewed for position via skype while still in undergraduate. Tough interview but very straightforward, no surprises

Interview Questions
    • What are your thoughts and feelings on medicating people?   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate.

Clinical Research Coordinator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Massachusetts General Hospital in June 2012.

Very relaxed Interview environment. For the most part, we just reviewed what was already on my resume and discussed job requirements. Both interviewers were pleasant and responsive in answering all my questions.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Set salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Massachusetts General Hospital in July 2011.

phone interview first and provide basic information of education and experience including volunteer experience.
    face to face interview with the PI. more details about the job requirement and functions.

Interview Questions
    not really. this is an entry level position.