MasterCard

Average Difficulty
94 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Leader

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MasterCard.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews - probing questions on demonstrable experience;

Interview Question – Are you running away from anything?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Business Leader

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at MasterCard.

Interview Details – Not an interview at all. I was surprised to find out that the group was far from cutting edge and really behind the times. I walked away feeling like I had just time-warped back to 1999

Interview Question – None! I spent a few hours giving them solutions to the challenges they where asked to meet by senior management. I was really surprised at their lack of knowledge, I left the interview really feeling sorry for the team, they seemed like very nice folks.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at MasterCard.

Interview Details – On campus recruiting, had behavioral, culture fit interview on campus. Received an offer two weeks later.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Intern Interview

Intern
Purchase, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MasterCard.

Interview Details – On campus recruiting, and interviewed b

Interview Question – All behavioral, nothing surprising came up, pretty standard. The interviewer was very nice.   Answer Question

Purchase, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MasterCard in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very long with 10 interviews!!! First one was over the phone, very basic followed by a full day of interviews at the Purchase office.

Negotiation Details – really easy - the offer was just what I was hoping for

Leader Interview

Leader
O'Fallon, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MasterCard.

Interview Details – (Internal career move) Once selected as a candidate for interview, process was completed in about two weeks. Three different interviews for the job. One with the prospective manager (1 hour) and for the first half of the interview a member of their team that would be my peer, one with their Senior Business Leader (1 hour), and one with the Group Head of the division (30 mins).

Ultimately the interview process was structured around determining my ability to lead and coach team members, my ability to prioritize work load for my team, and my ability to recognize the business value of the IT functions being performed (and react accordingly).

Interview Question – There really weren't any surprise or gotcha questions, however candidates need to be prepared to answer the standard "tough" questions about coaching under-performing employees, scenario-based challenges on your ability to work with senior management driven deliverables, and management of budget constraints.

If you aren't able to articulate your thoughts well, have some antiquated ideas about leadership, or aren't confident enough to speak frankly then you'll find these interviews difficult indeed (esp. depending on the interviewer). However, if you're prepared and the right candidate, it will be average to easy. Basically, know your stuff, don't BS, and don't have money or power as the big motivators behind your desire for the job and you'll do fine.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Set realistic goals with the recruiter during the process. It doesn't hurt to make sure that they understand what you're hoping to get. The materials are available internally (and equivalent external material on sites like GlassDoor!) that you should be able to determine a fair and reasonable offer. If you wait until the offer letter is handed to you, you're not in as advantageous of a position. I've found in all my career opportunities I've posted internally for at the company that doing my homework and setting realistic expectations has allowed me to keep the compensation fair and probably a bit better off than those who haven't.

Vice President Senior Business Leader Interview

Vice President Senior Business Leader
Purchase, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at MasterCard in December 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was smooth - I worked through a headhunter, so she handled the negotiations on my behalf, but the actual interview process was pretty simple. I only came in one day, met with HR, the proposed manager and 2 potential colleagues. I then had a phone interview with one other potential colleague. I got the offer the same day.

Interview Question – I can't say there was a difficult or unexpected question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I worked with a head hunter and she handled the negotiations on my behalf. MasterCard was flexible with salary.

Leader Interview

Leader

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at MasterCard.

Interview Details – Very straight forward interview. I was originally recruited by the hiring manager and then met with HR. They asked normal interview questions and then based their hiring decision on the hiring managers desire to bring me on board.

Negotiation Details – Simple and straight forward I did not negotiate salary and the benefits are excellent

Associate Analyst Interview

Associate Analyst
Purchase, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MasterCard in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through on-campus recruiting, followed with an onsite Superday. Interviewed with the leaders of all their product divisions and an employee from HR. Standard behavioral interview (Why mastercard, walk me through your resume, etc) -- since the interview is not terribly analytical or case based, make sure you know your answers thoroughly and have a compelling pitch for you're a good fit for the position. Research the products beforehand, come in with knowledge of the payments industry, possible competitors, and your own ideas. One brief case study for their prepaid division. Overall, very painless if you're well prepared and know what you're doing.

Interview Question – Segment the market for people who are denied credit and propose a solution for engaging that customer base.   Answer Question

Database Engineer Intern Interview

Database Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MasterCard in November 2013.

Interview Details – Process took about 4 weeks. Was initially contacted by an HR employee who then set up a second interview with an engineer about a month later.

Interview Question – Questions weren't very technical, more about personal experiences and goals. They want you to know about big data and hadoop.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at MasterCard