MasterCard

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

MasterCard Advisers Information Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Purchase, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Purchase, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MasterCard in February 2012.

I applied for this position through the company's website. A few days later, I was contacted by HR for a phone screening, which went very well. The HR person loved me and thought I was "perfect" for the role. She passed along her feedback to the hiring manager who wanted to bring me in for an interview. Shortly thereafter, I was contacted by a HR coordinator about my availability over the next week or two. I provided my availabilty but did not hear back for about a week, by which time my availability had changed. About a week later an interview was scheduled.

I was sent directions to their offices in Purchase, NY where they occupy two buildings in close proximity but which technically have two different street addresses. The directions indicated where to go once you entered the office park but they were wrong. They were supposed take you to the the Manhattanville Road building, which is where my interview was, but they actually guided you to the Purchase Street headquarters. Luckily, I got there a few minutes early and was smart enough to ignore the directions and go to the correct building. Security is pretty tight, which isn't a big deal unless you have to go through it twice (hint, hint). I met with the department head for about 45 minutes. He was nice enough and seemed pretty intelligent. I think he'd been with the company for like 20+ years.

After that interview, I was scheduled to go to the corporate headquarters (the other building) to meet with the original HR rep for about 30 minutes, basically just to re-cap how the interview went. I had to go through security again, which included metal detectors this time. From a candidate's standpoint, this seemed a bit unnecessary and inconvenient. They could have simply put me in a conference room in one of the buildings and had me remain stationary. The hiring manager and HR could have met with me there and not had me drive from building to building, re-park my car, and go through security again.

When I met with the HR person, she reiterated how "perfect" I was for this position and told me she "couldn't think of a better candidate". Less than a week later, I recieved an email from that same HR person telling me that the hiring manager thought I had a solid "operational" background but that he was looking for somebody with more "strategy" experience. I completely get that, but my discussions with HR were more operational in nature and one look at my resume tells you my experience is on the operations side. So there was obviously a disconnect between what HR thought was the right background and what the hiring manager was actually looking for.

Interview Questions
  • I can't think of any. The interview was mostly a detailed description of the business and the department, and me asking questions. The position itself was vague.   Answer Question