Matasano Security Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at Matasano Security

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Matasano Security.

Interview

The entire process took around 5 weeks. I applied through their careers website. I had an inital phone screening where the person sopke about the company and the roles i need to perform as an intern. then he asked me few technical questions to test my knowledge on web security. Then he gave a website and asked to do a pen test and write a report for the same. They scheduled two phone interviews in a gap of one week. Both the persons asked questoins completely on web security and software security. The first interview lasted for an hours time and second was over by 30 min. The first person gave a scneario and asked entire questions from it. At last they never responded back even after repeated emails

Interview Questions

• explain XSS, CSRF, SQL injection and how will you mitigate it   1 Answer
    • explain buffer overflow, format string vulnerabilities   Answer Question
    • explain the difference between ECB mode and CBC mode   Answer Question
    • how will you know if FTP service is running in target server or not   Answer Question

Security Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Matasano Security (New York, NY).

Interview

1. A phone screen describing company mission, gauging culture fit, probing background and gentle technical tests. 2. Online penetration tests against 2 different networks and web applications, followed by written reports. 3. Onsite interview, about 6 hours with 4 different interviews, and a casual lunch interview. Very pleasant process, very nice people, enjoyed the entire experience, would recommend it to anyone interested.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult at all, the penetration tests were strenuous however.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Matasano Security (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied online and then gave 3 phone interviews and 1 website hacking test.The test was give to be solved without any time limit.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Matasano Security.

Interview

CHOAS! 2 tech interviews and a skill test. After 1 month, I was provided an onsite interview. No update for the next 2 months. Then I got an apology email explaining their internal miscommunication and wanted to resume the interview process. I already started working in another company then. And even though they promised to reimburse my expense for the onsite interview, I haven't got the money back TILL NOW. I asked several times, and no response.

Interview Questions

• How to keep good relationship with clients.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Matasano Security in September 2011.

Interview

Interviewer asked some questions about background, past programming experience, why I was interested in the job, etc. Simple stuff. Also asked how a stack overflow works and how a heap overflow works. I got the impression that the questions they ask depend on your background. Later, the interviewer sent me a link to a website (via email) and then told me to find as much wrong with it as I could (security speaking). After that, the interviewer introduced me to would-be boss, who called and we talked on the phone. Pretty much the same as the previous interview. Dress is casual, don't come in a suit.

Interview Questions

• How does a stack overflow work?   1 Answer
    • How does a heap overflow work?   1 Answer