MathStar

Getting the Interview

1 candidate interview
Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at MathStar in February 2011.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview with the HR person, consisting of a basic review of my resume and work background. The HR person did not, I found out later, describe the position very accurately. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager for the position in question. Again, this was a fairly basic question and answer session, and I was invited to come to their offices for an interview the following week.

At this point, I still wasn't sure what the job would entail, due to the vague descriptions I'd received. I was impressed with the general office atmosphere - the receptionist was very kind and welcoming, although while waiting for my appointment I noted that nearly every employee I saw was a 20- to 30-something female, and all were very similarly attired.

After a short wait in the reception area, I was ushered into a conference room and to my surprise, was told for the first time I would be having a panel interview with 5 people, one of whom was the HR person, and one of whom was the prospective hiring manager. After a few meaningless questions, each person in the room asked a brief question of me, and most of them took notes while I was speaking.

I found the language used by these individuals to be so full of "jargon" that a few times I honestly had very little idea what they were asking me. I am an educated person with a good vocabulary, but this was a most uncomfortable experience. After 45 minutes of this kind of language, I felt it was just completely over the top, and certainly unnecessary. Only one of the people in this interview used normal, everyday language - he seemed friendly and open, and I found myself wondering why he was working there because he didn't seem to fit in with the rest of them.

While I tried to make eye contact with each person around the table while I was speaking, there was one gentleman in particular who made the entire interview a very negative experience. While I would speak, he looked out the window and sighed, or made the most bored facial expressions. It was clear he didn't want to be in the room. Since he was at one end of the table, and I was at the other, no one but me could see the faces he made, as everyone else had the decency to look at me as I spoke. Not this gentleman - he looked up at the ceiling, down at the floor, continued to make faces and yawn. It was all I could do to keep from asking him if he wanted to leave!

In the end, I found his behavior completely off-putting, and to this day have a negative attitude about the company, mostly due to this person.

Before the interview was finished, I was told that there were 5 other people interviewing for this position. I was contacted the following week thanking me for my time but they had decided to pursue other avenues, etc. I was not the least bit surprised, and had decided before the interview was even through that this was NOT going to be a place I wanted to work.

I noticed that the following week, they were again advertising this job opening, so apparently none of the 6 people they interviewed at that time were the "personality" they were looking for.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for MathStar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MathStar interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by MathStar employees and interview candidates.