MathWorks

Getting the Interview

471 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Applications Support Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview Details – I applied online through the MathWorks website. Received an email in around two weeks for an online HR-based interview. The interview had the 5 basic questions given on Glassdoor. Shortly thereafter, I was scheduled for a technical interview. The technical interview had 29 questions from MATLAB, one additional programming language (I chose C), one area (I chose Control Systems), and Linear Algebra.

Interview Question – Some of the questions were:

Control Systems:

- How's an LTI system stable?
- What are Eigenvalues
- Observability, Controlability
- Rank of a matrix
- Control canonical form
- Lyapunov stability
- Find poles of a system
- What is Bode plot?

Math/Algebra:

- Solve an ODE
- Diff b/w ODE and PDE
- Solve a limit involving indefinite terms (used L'ospital rule)

Programming, C:

- malloc
- const
- Recursive function. Give example
- Difference between passing a pointer and a variable to a function?
- Null pointer?
- Sturctures?
- Diff b/w structure and unions?
- ptr ++
- Some simple for loop questions

Programming, MATLAB:

- Defining path of folders
- Clearing and importing variables
- Making an array of numbers divisible by 3
- Concatenating strings

That's pretty much it. In total there were 32 questions. I got 27 of them right, and the remaining I either didn't answer or gave him the general idea since I could not recall it at the spur of the moment. From the other reviews, it seems there is not a lot of hope but; let's see. Fingers crossed. Hope this helps.

Natick, MA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at MathWorks in January 2014.

Interview Details – Most people have explained what the procedure is. Here go my $0.02.

Step 1: Applied via their website on Dec 26th, 2013.

Step 2: Got an email within a week asking to complete a video interview. 5 question asked were: tell us more about yourself, why this position at mathworks, future aspirations, research experience, what are you looking for in a job. Answers were very straightforward. This is a very easy interview.

Step 3: Got an email in another week asking for a phone interview. One can have an interview in engineering or computer science specialities. I selected engineering and in that control theory (other options were signal processing and embedded systems).

Step 4: Got the phone call. They asked a lot of questions on math, C++, general programming, MATLAB and controls. math and matlab questions were very ordinary.
       - find the velocity of a body after 5 sec. if the acceleration is so and so and initial velocity is so and so.
       - find a determinant of a matrix, what is a singular matrix, find eigenvalues
       - f(x) is given, f(0), f(3) are given, find integral(f) at x = 5.
       - what is @ function in matlab for, what is ~ for
       - how to plot in 3D in matlab
So nothing out of the ordinary. Most people have repeated the questions that I got.

Control theory questions were easy and got only 2-3 questions.
       - what happens if the poles move to right, left, up and down on a pole-zero plot.
       - find poles of a state-space system.

C/C++ and programming questions were not to my liking as I have done programming enough to make robots do what they do.
       - what is the difference between ++i and i++ (this was easy). What other language has a similar syntax but different meaning (no idea).
       - what is static for in C.
       - data structures (I messed up on this one too).
       - pointers
And a few other questions that I do not even remember now.

Step 5: I was not expecting a call given that my C++ part and the programming part of the interview were such mess. But I guess they make some concessions for PhD's. So I got a call from them on Jan 13th and scheduled my college day interview for Jan 31st. They booked the tickets that same day.

Step 6: At Natick. General "we are this and that" type presentations. And then there was the technical interview. That guy was a kid really. He asked some math questions,
       - find the area of a rectangle inside a parabola (he asked it wrong and I had to correct it and get the right questions out of him).
       - decay rate of a material, write it in equation (this also he asked wrong had me working it out with him :) )
       - plot df/dx of a function f(x) which he drew on board.
       - some other really easy math questions which other people have discussed.
Programming and C++ questions were again a headache
       - types of classes
       - inline function (who the hell knows)
       - calloc, malloc
       - sorting algorithm
       - character arrays and pointers, integer pointers
Matlab was easy again. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Control theory was decent.
      - Write transfer functions of schematics, add this block to the schematic and write TF,
      - Routh-Hurwitz,
      - final value theorem, steady state values of TF.

Then came the HR interviews. Typical ones
      - describe an occassion when things did not go according to plan
      - when you handles more than two assignments
      - when you had to take help from your colleagues
      - when you helped colleagues
      - when you had disagreement with colleagues, advisor, collaborators and vice versa
      - are any other job offers, interviews in the pipeline.

Overall C/C++ and programming were my nemesis. I did not expect anything this time as well. But they did extend me an offer. But after being there and talkig to folks there about the nature of work, had me down on not pursuing this position. So I declined the offer on the grounds that I am not seeking this employment at this time anymore. Hopefully my review will be helpful to others though.

Interview Question – C/C++ and programming questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the type of work I am interested in after a PhD.

Natick, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MathWorks in January 2014.

Interview Details – Smooth as far as the logistics are concerned. Polite interviewers. Two rounds of technical interviews along with 1 managerial and 2 HR interviews. Overall, a pleasant experience. The interviewers were quite understanding and they give you time to think about your answers. Onsite interview would involve some in depth discussions of your domain.

Interview Question – Name 3 weaknesses that you have.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview Details – I had applied online, and through my university, Engineering and technical career and internship connection. The process took exactly 2 weeks and I got an email to set up my online video interview. I was asked to submit my interview within 2 weeks and if I get selected I'll be given a call for other rounds of interview. The questions were non technical and basic as mentioned by most in glassdoor.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview Details – Applied online through the MathWorks website. Got an email in one week for an phone interview. I was mainly asked about the understanding of the position I was applied for, my GPA and the academic background.
After 2 weeks, got another email for a technique interview. They asked questions on Basic Math, Programming Concepts, C, MATLAB and one specific engineering discipline (Control Systems, Signal Processing or Embedded systems).

Interview Questions

• 1. What is @ in Matlab?
    2. How do you replace a substring in Matlab?
    3. When do you use command window, when do you use editor? (in Matlab)
  • What is power spectral density / energy spectral density?   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at MathWorks in April 2014.

Interview Details – Planning and communication was well conducted. However, the interviewer's unclear speech made it difficult to understand questions over the phone.

Answered about 85% questions. Waiting for their response about next round.

Interview Question – Solve 'e' without using any log operators. Only *,-,+,/ allowed.   View Answer

Natick, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at MathWorks in March 2014.

Interview Details – Difficult Interview - Lots of fast paced technical questions over phone. The questions are basic however they expect almost all questions answered correctly. I have listed the asked questions in HR and Technical Phone Interviews

Phone HR Interview
Duration: 28 min
1. What is your GPA?
2. What is your visa status? Do you need sponsorship?
3. What do you know about this position?
4. Why are you interested in this position?
5. Are you familiar with
a. Control Theory
b. Embedded Systems
c. Signal Processing
6. Which programming languages you know?
a. C
b. C++
c. Java
d. Web Development(Java script, html, php)
e. MATLAB
7. How do you resolve conflicts in your team?
8. How do you manage your time for multiple projects?
9. How do you plan for your projects? Do you use software? Notepad? Remember Everything?
10. Tell me about one of your projects in non-technical language.
11. Do you have any questions for me?

Technical Phone Interview
Duration: 50min

General and Computational Math
1. 40 students, all take at least one English or German, 12 both, 22 German. How many of them takes only English?
2. What is the biggest number we can represent in 32 bit? Can we represent 10,000,000,000? (10 billion)
3. We have a recursive function, we divide problem into 4 with half the size each time. What is the running time? (I asked merge run time => it is given as linear)
4. If two different processes try to access same memory location. How do you make sure that does not happen?
5. What is caching?
6. How do you implement cosine function in calculator?

Basic Programming Concepts
7. What is connected graph?
8. What is the minimum number of edges in a connected graph?
9. How do you search in a binary tree?
10. What is the run time on balanced tree? What is in regular binary tree?
11. What is OOP?

C
12. Write a C function that returns true if the input is even.
13. What is malloc and calloc?
14. What is the difference between #define A 10 and const int x = 5;
15. What is the difference between <stdio.h> and “stdio.h”
16. What can you tell me about the following code?

int main(){
    sum = a + b;
    return sum;

}

C++
17. We have a class Bar inherits from another class Foo. Foo has some private data members, how the Bar class access these variables? How should we correct this?
18. Class A { }; Which methods does this class have?
19. Class A{
private:
    A();
};
What do you tell me about this case?
20. What is virtual function?

MATLAB
21. Assume that you have some integer and string data. How do you store them in one data structure?
22. What is the difference between cell array and struct?
23. How do you handle multiple inputs in MATLAB?
24. Write a function if the number of inputs are zero plots a line with x=y 1:10, if the number of inputs are 2 plot the two inputs.
My Question: What about the number of inputs is 1 or more than 2?
A: Give an error in that case.
25. What do you know about global or persistent variables?
26. What do you know about @ sign?
27. What do you know about % sign?
28. Did you use classes in MATLAB?
29. Did you use profiler in MATLAB?
30. Did you use .mex file?

Interview Question – I was not expecting the questions related with Operating Systems.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at MathWorks in April 2014.

Interview Details – – I applied online through the MathWorks website. Received an email in around two weeks for an online HR-based interview. The interview had the 5 basic questions given on Glassdoor. Shortly thereafter, I was scheduled for a technical interview. The technical interview had 29 questions from MATLAB, one additional programming language (I chose C), one area (I chose Control Systems), and Linear Algebra.

Interviewed at MathWorks

Interview Details – Applied for the Applications Support Engineer position online. Got a call in a couple of days for a video interview. This was basic HR and there were 5 questions which were similar to the ones posted on glassdoor. Got a call for a technical interview after a week.

Interview Question – The HR questions were easy.   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MathWorks in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call after a month or so. Set up a video interview which is completely ridiculous and wait for their reply.

Interview Question – The usual stuff -online video interview with 5 Questions.
1)Tell me about yourself? (Now that's a tough one.)
2)How do you handle Multiple responsibilites, Give an example?
3)GPA
4)OPT information
5)Why do want work for Mathworks

Interviews for Top Jobs at MathWorks

Worked for MathWorks? Contribute to the Community!

MathWorks Videos

MathWorks – Why Work for Us?

Every member of the MathWorks team, from our finance department to our developers, contributes to delivering the software that impacts the things we all rely on in our daily lives. Think we’re exaggerating? Think again… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MathWorks Applications Support Engineer interview questions and advice. All 471 interview reviews posted anonymously by MathWorks employees and interview candidates.