MathWorks

Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.6

623 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Applications Support Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at MathWorks.

First step is the phone interview. They send you an Email with the instructions. You follow the link, setup your computer and test it, then they give you the opportunity to practice with two questions. Once you are ready, you start the interview and you are asked five easy questions.

1. Why this position interests you?
2. What about your experiences makes you fit for this position?
3. Give an example how you tackled with multiple responsibilities?
4. Eligible to work in US without restrictions? Need sponsorship now or in the future? On a student visa now? When will the OPT start?
5. What is your cumulative GPA?

Once reviewed, you are contacted by Email to setup a technical phone interview.

Interview Questions
  • No difficult or unexpected question in the first step.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Applications Support Engineer Interview

It was a phone interview. Done with the first round with general questions, which are mostly available in glassdoor. My suggestion- Talk more about the things that are relavant to your background.Before they ask you try to tell them that you are passionate to work for them. Explain them the way you can deal with concepts. If you have work ex mention that in your talk. In total, it is an easy one.

Interview Questions
    • How do you organize time? Do you use any tool to do that? Explain any of your projects such that a non technical person can understand? Have you ever faced conflicts in a team and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MathWorks.

I applied online.
    First step is the video interview. They send you an Email with the instructions. You follow the link, setup your computer and test it, then they give you the opportunity to practice with two questions. Once you are ready, you start the interview and you are asked five easy questions.

1. Why this position interests you?
    2. What about your experiences makes you fit for this position?
    3. Give an example how you tackled with multiple responsibilities?
    5. What is your cumulative GPA?

Applications Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks.

Applied Online in last week of December.. Got HR video call on 7th Jan 2015. It was easy as all questions were same as mentioned here. Scheduled a technical interview on 21st Jan..

Interview Questions
    • HR interview is very simple. There is no difficult part.   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MathWorks.

First Round- Video interview. Record your answers on a webcam to a set of prerecord ex questions. Very basic questions about your GPA, Visa Status and a couple of behavioral questions about past projects.

Second Round- Phone interview consisting of questions about Java, Math. All the questions have already been posted on Glassdoor. Need to answer almost every question to get through.

Did not receive a callback after this round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in January 2015.

I got a mail about opening and was asked to take video call. After that I had a telephonic technical interview and after that I was called for on site technical interview. The technical interview was followed by a behavioral interview with manager. And then I had a hr Manger interview.

Interview Questions
    • Some code snippets were given and I was asked to find bugs or predict output   Answer Question
    • Write an algorithm for merge sort algorithm   Answer Question
    • Object oriented design for chess game   Answer Question
    • String manipulation question in which a string containing one or more * was given as input and I have to develop an algorithm for removing the * character and a character succeeding and preceding the * character   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks.

I applied through my university's career website and got an email in less than a week requesting me to schedule a phone interview.

The interview was pretty easy (all behavioral questions and no technical content) and the questions that were asked were as follows (as far as I remember):

1) Why did you apply for this position?
    2) What is your cumulative GPA?
    3) Are you authorized to work without restrictions in the United States?
    4) Have you ever faced a conflict while working in a team? How did you handle it?
    5) How would you manage yourself if you were faced with multiple tasks?

At the end, I was asked to schedule a time for the second round of interview which would be strictly technical and would involve a 1 hour session with a senior member or someone like that.

Overall, I must say it was a very positive experience and the recruiting manager was very polite and both professional and friendly in her conduct!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions were asked. Everything was pretty straight-forward and all the questions are here!   Answer Question

Applied online:
    1) Got an email regarding the video interview.
    Video interview was simple , all the questions were expected.Recorded and sent the video through the link provided.
    2)Then got selected for Technical phone interview:
    All the questions were expected, took 54 minutes.
    Question were from Matlab, Signal Processing, Linear Algebra, C /C++ programming and Object Oriented Programming concepts.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MathWorks.

Applied online, received email from HR after a week, scheduled an HR interview, basic HR questions. Scheduled an technical interview, asked most of the questions which are there on glassdoor. I had opted for web development for which the questions asked were, if you have many images on a web page should you use document.ready or window.load.

other questions where what is ... in matlab,
    what is public static void main(String args[]) in java
    time complexity of matrix multiplication

Applications Support Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in January 2015.

telephone technical interview:
    DSP:
    - y(n) = x(n^3), linear?time-invariant?
    -impulse response h[n] = 9*n*u(n), system stable?
    -h[n] = [4,0,1,0,2], arrow on second element, causal?
    -convolution definition, difference between convolution and correlation
    -difference between DFT and DTFT? which one is suitable for computers
    -difference between DFT and FFT
    -Nyquist theorem
    -aliasing, given an example of wheel with pokes
    -connection between DTFT and z transform, they expect z = e^(jw)
    -ROC of z transform
    -difference between IIR and FIR
    C++
    - advantages of OOP programming over procedure programming
    -recursive function, exit condition
    -how to have an instance of a class if the constructor is private
    -If class foo has private data types and private methods only, class bar inherits from class foo. how can you access the data types?
    -int arr[] = {1,2,3,4}
    for(int i = 0; i < 4; i++)
    {
    cout<<*(arr+i)<<" ";
    }
    explain this piece of code
    - virtual functions and virtual destructor
    Matlab
    - meaning of @, %, ~
    -difference between A^2, A.^2
    -A = 1:1:100;, find every third elements
    -A = 1:1:100; find all elements divisible by 5
    - what's path meaning? used for?
    Math
    -definite integral and indefinite integral
    - order of differential equation
    -calculate the eigenvalues of matrix [3, -1; 1, 5]
    -given a function, calculate left limit and right limit, whether the limit exists
    -left inverse....

Interview Questions
    • - y(n) = x(n^3), linear?time-invariant? In a class, what kind of functions system will generate a default one? I know constructor....   Answer Question