MathWorks

Average Difficulty
526 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at MathWorks

Interview Details – It was the first-round screening, a 5-question pre-recording video interview. You can find the questions here. It looks like the do the same to everybody. Just prepare the questions.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

Natick, MA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at MathWorks in June 2014.

Interview Details – There was the initial screening on video call, then a technical interview fr 45 mins. Later an HR call and then an onsite interview. The onsite interview was a technical one for two hrs.It consisted of all coding questions of Java, C++, web development ,general logic and math questns

Interview Question – All questions were unexpected. Nothing was common with other interview questions   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at MathWorks in May 2014.

Interview Details – First round video interview, 5 recorded questions, 1 or 2 minutes to answer each. The questions are fixed and already posted here. After 2 weeks, got email, fixed date for the second round technical phone interview. About 30 questions ranging from math, matlab, c, basic programming and the application area you chose, I chose signal processing. Since it took only about an hour, questions are simple and basic ones with definitely "the right answer". After two weeks, got invitation for onsite interview.

Interview Question – Laplace transform   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Applications Support Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MathWorks in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through college website. Got an email for video interview. Five questions were asked that are listed on glassdoor. Why mathworks? why this position? whats your gpa? whats your visa status? have u handled multiple projects? Got an email for scheduling technical phone interview. Topics include linear algebra, calculus, C, C++, Java and control theory.Waiting for the call.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected...   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer

Interview Details – I have applied online on mathworks careers website and I was contacted by email to schedule a telephonic interview. The interviewer called me 15 minutes late.
All the questions are standard control systems, matlab programming and c++ programming questions. Some of them are: stability regions of continuous and discrete systems, give control canonical form from transfer function, meaning of the following in matlab: @, A.' , A', diff between script and function, scope of variables in script and function .Constructors and derived classes in c++, default private/public in a class and struct, default methods of a class. What is oop, encapsulation, function overriding etc.

Interview Question – There are no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Brookings, SD

I applied online - interviewed at MathWorks in June 2014.

Interview Details – got phone interview similar to earlier interview details. Asked a lot of questions from c++ and signal analysis. I answered to almost all questions. They told me i will be informed with in 2 weeks. But they did not call me back.

Interview Question – inheritance in object oriented programming   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer

Interview Details – The tech interview is very exam like. The interviewer asked many questions on math, Matlab, programming, controls. The math, controls, and Matlab are reasonable. I'm not very familiar with OOP and C++ though. Didn't talk about education and experience at all, just questions and answers. No feedback on the interview was provided.

Interview Question – OOP and C++ questions   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at MathWorks in March 2014.

Interview Details – I received an email stating that there is a video recorded interview for the round and the next round will be a telephonic interview. The questions for the video were the same as for everyone else while for the telephonic round, it was more technical.

Interview Question – Most of the technical questions were straight forward. I guess there weren't any tough questions as such.   Answer Question

Natick, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MathWorks in May 2014.

Interview Details – Step 1 : A phone screening, it includes all basic HR questions that others have posted as well.
Step 2 : A technical phone interview, that included basic math, OS and 3 languages of your choice (I chose C, C++ and Java).
Step 3 : An onsite Technical interview, lasted for about an hour. The interviewer was very friendly and asked similar questions as they asked in the telephonic interview.
Step 4 : 2 HR rounds in the end, 1 hour each. They ask very basic questions, so if you know your projects and the complications they had, you are good to go.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, but you need to be thorough in your answers.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Applications Support Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at MathWorks in June 2014.

Interview Details – Everything mentioned on Glassdoor is true. They seem to have a question bank and ask questions from there. The cutoff to qualify for 2nd round is very high. I was wrong to answer 5 questions out of maybe 30-35 questions and even then I didn't qualify. They expect ppl to mug up the answers to all questions given here on glassdoor. Good that I didnt clear the cutoff. In fact after going through all glassdoor reviews while preparing for the interview, I was thinking just before the interview that I should cancel it and save myself the time. I dont think their selection process is intelligent and fair. How can you judge a person's potential by merely asking 30-40 questions which are already out there somewhere on the internet? If you are good in memorizing all the answers from the questions on Glassdoor then you have good chance to clear the cutoff and go to next round (which, I heard from my friend, is also very easy with technical questions on C/C++/Java if you happen to be from CS background). In short, not a good job for CS major ppl. I would prefer to work for some unknown SW company and do quality work than applying here again and work for them.

Interview Question – Birthday paradox - if you don't know it then you can not answer the question. I read it in a news article a day before so I happened to know the answer.   View Answer

Worked for MathWorks? Contribute to the Community!