MathWorks Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

1.HR round(online video recorded)-15 mins 2.Technical Phone Interview(Math,C/C++,Programming Concepts,Control Systems)-1 hour 3.On-site interview(Math,C/C++,Programming Concepts,Control Systems)-4 rounds 9 am - 2 pm Programming Concepts 1.Given a random array of numbers.How do you sort them?Select any sorting algorithm and write the pseudo code.(C) I implemented Merge Sort with merge subroutine I forgot base case ,I added later 2.1/8th of a circle.(NS) I gave semi optimum solution.There was a better way without using trignometric functions C++ 2.Given inheritence hierarchy -which of the following is valid?(C) A / \ B C / D void alpha(B *arg) A*Aptr =new A; B*Bptr=new B;(valid) C* Cptr=new C; D*Dptr=new D;(valid) 3.What does the following line of code do?(C) char*c ="Hello" char d[6]; while(*c++=*d++); Matlab What is primary function and subfunction?(C) What is difference between nested function and subfunction?(C) nested functions-can access variables declared inside main functions. What is private function?(C) inside private folder What is hf=gca;(DA) gui returns current axes handle What is event function call back?(DA) How to access data members of a structure? What are cell arrays? C1={} C2={} what is C1() what is C1{} What is this code doing mystruct =struct('field1',{1,2,3}... 'field2',{4,5,6s}); MATH 1.Plot the derivative of the function(C) 2.Find the partial fraction of given expression(C) 3.Find the gradient of the given function.(C) Controls Systems 1.Explain lead and lag compensators(C) 2.Linearise the system(C) 3.Find the Transfer function from the state space equation.(C) 4.Given x1 and x2 dot ,find the Lyapunov equation.(NC) Hiring Manager Interview 1.How do you handle several projects simultaneously? 2.What are your strengths and weaknessness,according to your advisor? 3.How did you handle a situation when you missed a deadline? 4.How was your experience at Grad School? 5.If you are the dean of your university ,what would you change? 6.How did you approach a task which you had no knowledge before hand? HR Interview Why did you apply at MathWorks? If I gave you $2000 for training ,what training would you use it for? What is your plan after EDG?

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

Phone screen with HR representative was followed by phone screen with hiring manager and then was invited for an on-site interview. The interview was average difficulty. The process is very slow compared to other companies.

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email next day asking for time for the telephonic interview. As it was friday I scheduled it for monday. Just one telephonic interview. Typical questions as mentioned before on glassdoor. Never got a reply back from them. But after a week the status of my application changed to Match not Ideal at this time.

Interview Questions

• What us you GPA? When does your OPT start? Explain any one project?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks (Boston, MA).

Interview

One HR round,One technical easy interview OOPS,JAVA ,C ,C++ concepts, coding questions, background experience, and projects that I have done. They ask 3 programming languages that you are comfortable with and then ask questions based on that. very few questions on Matlab

C++ Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

The manager contacted me from LinkedIn and wanted to have a chat with me over phone. In that phone conversation he told me about the kind of work his team does, and asked in detail about my recent projects. Before he finished he said he would schedule a technical screening in the following week and asked whether I could show him some code samples. In reply I said I had a link to my code samples in my resume. In a few hours he emailed me saying he had seen the code samples and thought they wouldn't need that technical screening. Instead he wanted me to come over their office with a short presentation on one of my projects. After arriving at their premises the manager showed me around before I did my presentation. I was surprised to see so many people turning up and asking interesting questions. The presentation was an hour long, went smooth, and I felt good. Then one of their team members accompanied me for a lunch interview. I asked a lot of questions about his work and got some valuable feedback. Next I spent about an hour with another team member who I later found out was a manager himself. I started the discussion by asking him about some of his projects, and he went on explaining stuffs on the whiteboard and asked me occasional questions. However, this was more like discussion than interview questions. After that session I was sent to my manager's room and was surprised to see that he had already arranged for an offer. All in all, I was asked zero technical questions but had to explain a lot about my previous projects. I guess they were looking for something other than direct technical questions. In particular, they seemed interested in the fact that several of my projects were of the following type: "port an existing large code base from X technology to Y technology", and I think they were looking for something of this kind.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to do X to solve this problem instead of doing Y?   Answer Question

IT Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

I had a phone screen with Human Resources. I did a 30 min self presentation with large audience followed by question and answer period. My presentation highlighted my experience that related to the position being applied for, my strengths and weaknesses, and why I should be hired. I included specific examples of my situation, my actions and the results of my actions in different scenarios. I had multiple interviews in groups and with individuals from individual contributors, managers and executives.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions to pull cultural fit - consensus and collaboration   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Didn't get far in this interview process. After receiving a call from HR, I was told my resume would be forwarded to a manager. I checked online and found that "match was not ideal at this time" was the status of my application.

Interview Questions

• How do you organize your time?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

The entire process is same as that described on glassdoor - one HR round followed by a technical phone interview. If you clear that you'll get a chance to visit onsite. There at onsite - I had 2hour long technical interview which I couldn't clear it. So, they didnot move forward after that round. They gave me cab ticket and shuttle ticket and sent back to the airport with out conducting any other rounds. I chose Java, JavaScript and C as my language preferences.

Interview Questions

• 1) Find an error in the given java code which removes '*' along with preceeding and succeeding characters. 2) Similar debugging codes covering basic java questions. 3) Same went with JavaScript. 4) What are storage classes in C and write a basic C program for writing a string into file. 5) Number of permutations of a word - "BANANA"   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Flew onsite after 2 technical interviews. It started off with a presentation and then 3 interviews. The first interview involved coding on the white board and a puzzle. The second interview was with the manager involving past experience and future perspective. The last round was the toughest with the manager where again they make you dwell on white board on various key questions. Prepare well for the coding round and about unit testing

HRIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Three phone screening interview with different managers, then on-site presentation interview that lasted good 7 hours. I paid from my pocket to travel and stay overnight near the interview site. People were nice but the entire process was just too long. No feedback provide at the end of the interview.