MathWorks

Updated Nov 26, 2014

2.9

204 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in November 2014.

I shared my resume with them during the Career Fair in my university. I had to submit the usual video interview. Then I got a call for the phone interview.

Phone interview:
    - Was about 45-50 minutes technical interview.
    - Questions covered over engineering math, general programming concepts, MATLAB, C++ and DSP
    - Math questions covered system of linear equations, line equations and some algebra stuff
    - Programming and C++: OOPS concepts, specifically inheritance; about parent and child constructors
    - MATLAB: Difference between A' and A.' (both are same), how do you reload workspace variables on MATLAB startup (check out startup.m and finish.m online).
    - DSP: Causality, stability, pole-zero plot and simple convolution and filtering.

Got a call for onsite interviews a week or so later. They scheduled to trip to Natick, MA and covered all incurred expenses.

Hiring Manager Interview:
    - This person will be your manager in the company if you get the job. Keep that in mind.

- Usual behavioral questions from resume like what did you learn from this project, how did you manage conflicts of interest in the group, when was a time you had to handle multiple responsibilities and how did you go about doing it etc.

HR Interview:
    - First, she explained the work culture, benefits and lot of logistical stuff
    - Then, again, some behavioral questions which exactly overlapped with the manager interview. I later heard that it is purposely done so.

Then, I was taken for lunch (within the company campus) by two ASEs. This too is planned! The ASEs will be ones who are already working with the same manager you were interviewed by. So, these guys also try to get some info about you and report it to the manager. Your interaction with them during the lunch also counts to your interview performance!

After lunch, I had the technical interview.

Programming:

- Design a class structure for your department in college. And then, I was asked what kind of methods will you have to extract specific information.
    - Write a recursive function for calculating fibonacci(x). It means the function needs to give the x'th number in the fibonacci sequence. For ex. fibonacci(4) will be 3. You can choose which programming language you want to use.
    - Then again some inheritance questions.
    - Do you know about suppressing warnings in MATLAB, private functions in MATLAB
    - Cell arrays in MATLAB
    - Write a program to draw an arc starting at some point on the y-axis. Radius is given and from the given information it was also possible to find the angle of the arc with the origin, starting from a point on the y-axis and drawn clockwise.
    - Defining variables in functions and trying to access them from MATLAB command prompt as though they were workspace variables.
    - Main function and sub-functions in MATLAB.

Math:

- Find the area of the largest rectangle under a curve symmetric about the y-axis. The equation of the curve was given.
    - Find the gradient of a scalar function.
    - A few more which I don't quite remember

Digital Signal Processing:

- Partial fractions, Z-transform and comment on causality and stability
    - Decimation and Interpolation
    - Finding digital frequency of mixture of signals

Overall, it went well for me ad I did not get stuck at any point.

After that, we were taken a tour around their buildings. In the night, a few employees took us for dinner and we had a lot of interaction and fun.

But, till now I do not understand what could be the reason for they rejecting me an offer. I would say the overall experience was great and we also got to roam around Boston. But, the company needs might not always match you profile, even though they call you onsite.

Hope this helps and all the best!

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in November 2014.

I was contacted by the recruiter to schedule a HR interview one day after submitting the application. Scheduled a second round technical interview immediately after the HR interview. The questions consisted of mainly OOP questions for both Java and C++ as well as some basic linear algebra questions. Had a third interview with the hiring manager then the final interview with another recruiter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in October 2014.

It begins with an HR call, asking the same questions which everyone have already posted here. Then there is a technical phone interview. It is also pretty much the same question already posted on Glassdoor. After that they call you onsite where you have 3 rounds. 45 mins Manager and HR round and 1-1.5 hour technical round. In the techincal round they ask you evaluate the output of the code. I chose C, Java and Javascript (Web dev track). They also asked me to write a stack implementation, design a Hospital. Many questions in the technical interview were based on memory which makes it a luck based game.

Interview Questions
    • 1. The interviewer asked me to write the code for ajax call in Javascript. Which I obviously did not remember.
      2. Tell if the given graphs are isomorphic. I did not remember the definition of isomorphic graphs.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

interviewed at MathWorks in September 2014.

phone interview which took about an hour. Call came 10 mins later than schedule. Nice interviewer, who was friendly but seemed he didn't want you to finish your thorough answers when he realized you know the answer to move on to next question. You can hear he was clicking and searching which I believe the Q bank. u need to review the control, ODE, limits, matrix, bode plot, OOP, inheritance, subclass, PDE, PID. u need to understand and be able to calculate some questions, which are usually basic.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in August 2014.

I applied online for this advertised opening. I had one phone interview, possibly with the recruiter, then was asked in for an onsite interview. I had to develop and give a relevant presentation for the position. This was then followed by several one on one interviews with people related to position, and with hiring manager. It was hard to get feedback. Sometime after, the recruited indicated that they were pursuing other candidates.

Desktop Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MathWorks.

Had a phone interview with the Hiring Manager First. Then Interview with HR, and all members of the Support Team for about a half hour for each member on site. Even though they did not hire me, I had to interview with everyone and was on site for more than 4 hours, 2x with HR with a questionnaire.

Interview Questions
    • How you proactively improve a system process   View Answer

Applications Support Engineer Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in June 2014.

First-round was a 5-question pre-recording video interview and second-round was on phone. Topics include linear algebra, calculus, C, C++, Java and web services.Waiting for the call. In java, What is oop, encapsulation, function overriding etc, Difference between JRE and JDK, Why java platform independent, what is final and abstract class in java?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MathWorks.

Submitted my resume online and got an email two days later scheduling the first (HR) interview. The HR interview questions were pretty much the same as the ones described in Glassdoor (5 behavioral questions). Then they set me up for a technical interview which was pretty detailed. You can find 85% of the questions in Glassdoor. Def. expect new questions though. My understanding from the whole process was that you can get the job ONLY if you are "very" good at control or embedded systems. This means you really needed to have accomplished number of projects related to these subjects. And this is because the competition is pretty intense as MathWorks is a very good company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in June 2014.

There was the initial screening on video call, then a technical interview fr 45 mins. Later an HR call and then an onsite interview. The onsite interview was a technical one for two hrs.It consisted of all coding questions of Java, C++, web development ,general logic and math questns

Interview Questions
    • All questions were unexpected. Nothing was common with other interview questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in May 2014.

First got a video interview invitation, and everthing was mentioned here.
      Then after a week there was a technical phone interview, and as far as I can remember, all questions were repeated and I think I had all right answers. Two days later I found my status became "match not ideal at this time".
      Everything was so templated. The phone call was 20 minutes late than scheduled and the guy sounded not patient and got the wrong topic for me(I chose signal and he gave me control, which appeared to be he wasn't paying attention at all). And of course, don't try to get any feedback, you would only get a templated thank you letter after you were rejected. Anyway, the compensation wasn't that good.