MathWorks

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in January 2015.

I got a mail about opening and was asked to take video call. After that I had a telephonic technical interview and after that I was called for on site technical interview. The technical interview was followed by a behavioral interview with manager. And then I had a hr Manger interview.

Interview Questions
    • Some code snippets were given and I was asked to find bugs or predict output   Answer Question
    • Write an algorithm for merge sort algorithm   Answer Question
    • Object oriented design for chess game   Answer Question
    • String manipulation question in which a string containing one or more * was given as input and I have to develop an algorithm for removing the * character and a character succeeding and preceding the * character   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MathWorks in January 2015.

I am a Computer Science Grad.

The process started with the online HR interviews. They were standard questions as seen on glassdoor. That was followed by the technical phone interview which again had pretty much the same questions as seen on Glassdoor. I had chosen Java, C and C++. The math section had one question which I hadn't seen on glassdoor which was the four color problem.
    It took them about 3 weeks to get back to me about on-site interview. I was called on site where I was first taken for my technical interview. I was given many sheets of code and was asked to find mistakes in them. More like a debugging challenge. You have to be pretty clear with your basics. It is ok to give a few answers wrong as long as you show how you think. You have to show that you are very clear and confident with your basics. They do help you if you get stuck. Think out loud. The technical round lasted for 2 hours! That really gets the best of you. But be confident and you can get past it. Followed by that was the managerial round. Basically, the person who takes this interview will be your manager. I was asked a lot of behavioral-type questions. Where I had to give situation based answers. Many questions like:
    1) a situation where you took a risk and failed.
    2) A situation when I had to handle multiple tasks at once.
    3) A situation where I had faced conflicts with my team.
    4) When I had received negative feedback from my manager.
    5) Something I would like to change about myself.

You have to exhibit that giving support is the best way to learn. That is something they are really looking at.

Followed by was a lunch round where two ASEs accompany you to lunch (the cafeteria is really good) where they basically answer any questions that you would have about the job profile.

At last was the HR round where the HR asks you some standard HR questions. Followed by some questions that were asked by the manager too. I think they do it on purpose to compare notes.

I received a call the next day that they really liked me and will be going ahead with the reference check before they extend an offer. Make sure that all your references know that they will be contacted by email. Finally I received a call where they extended me an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in November 2014.

I shared my resume with them during the Career Fair in my university. I had to submit the usual video interview. Then I got a call for the phone interview.

Phone interview:
    - Was about 45-50 minutes technical interview.
    - Questions covered over engineering math, general programming concepts, MATLAB, C++ and DSP
    - Math questions covered system of linear equations, line equations and some algebra stuff
    - Programming and C++: OOPS concepts, specifically inheritance; about parent and child constructors
    - MATLAB: Difference between A' and A.' (both are same), how do you reload workspace variables on MATLAB startup (check out startup.m and finish.m online).
    - DSP: Causality, stability, pole-zero plot and simple convolution and filtering.

Got a call for onsite interviews a week or so later. They scheduled to trip to Natick, MA and covered all incurred expenses.

Hiring Manager Interview:
    - This person will be your manager in the company if you get the job. Keep that in mind.

- Usual behavioral questions from resume like what did you learn from this project, how did you manage conflicts of interest in the group, when was a time you had to handle multiple responsibilities and how did you go about doing it etc.

HR Interview:
    - First, she explained the work culture, benefits and lot of logistical stuff
    - Then, again, some behavioral questions which exactly overlapped with the manager interview. I later heard that it is purposely done so.

Then, I was taken for lunch (within the company campus) by two ASEs. This too is planned! The ASEs will be ones who are already working with the same manager you were interviewed by. So, these guys also try to get some info about you and report it to the manager. Your interaction with them during the lunch also counts to your interview performance!

After lunch, I had the technical interview.

Programming:

- Design a class structure for your department in college. And then, I was asked what kind of methods will you have to extract specific information.
    - Write a recursive function for calculating fibonacci(x). It means the function needs to give the x'th number in the fibonacci sequence. For ex. fibonacci(4) will be 3. You can choose which programming language you want to use.
    - Then again some inheritance questions.
    - Do you know about suppressing warnings in MATLAB, private functions in MATLAB
    - Cell arrays in MATLAB
    - Write a program to draw an arc starting at some point on the y-axis. Radius is given and from the given information it was also possible to find the angle of the arc with the origin, starting from a point on the y-axis and drawn clockwise.
    - Defining variables in functions and trying to access them from MATLAB command prompt as though they were workspace variables.
    - Main function and sub-functions in MATLAB.

Math:

- Find the area of the largest rectangle under a curve symmetric about the y-axis. The equation of the curve was given.
    - Find the gradient of a scalar function.
    - A few more which I don't quite remember

Digital Signal Processing:

- Partial fractions, Z-transform and comment on causality and stability
    - Decimation and Interpolation
    - Finding digital frequency of mixture of signals

Overall, it went well for me ad I did not get stuck at any point.

After that, we were taken a tour around their buildings. In the night, a few employees took us for dinner and we had a lot of interaction and fun.

But, till now I do not understand what could be the reason for they rejecting me an offer. I would say the overall experience was great and we also got to roam around Boston. But, the company needs might not always match you profile, even though they call you onsite.

Hope this helps and all the best!

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in November 2014.

I was contacted by the recruiter to schedule a HR interview one day after submitting the application. Scheduled a second round technical interview immediately after the HR interview. The questions consisted of mainly OOP questions for both Java and C++ as well as some basic linear algebra questions. Had a third interview with the hiring manager then the final interview with another recruiter.

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in October 2014.

It begins with an HR call, asking the same questions which everyone have already posted here. Then there is a technical phone interview. It is also pretty much the same question already posted on Glassdoor. After that they call you onsite where you have 3 rounds. 45 mins Manager and HR round and 1-1.5 hour technical round. In the techincal round they ask you evaluate the output of the code. I chose C, Java and Javascript (Web dev track). They also asked me to write a stack implementation, design a Hospital. Many questions in the technical interview were based on memory which makes it a luck based game.

Interview Questions
    • 1. The interviewer asked me to write the code for ajax call in Javascript. Which I obviously did not remember.
      2. Tell if the given graphs are isomorphic. I did not remember the definition of isomorphic graphs.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

interviewed at MathWorks in September 2014.

phone interview which took about an hour. Call came 10 mins later than schedule. Nice interviewer, who was friendly but seemed he didn't want you to finish your thorough answers when he realized you know the answer to move on to next question. You can hear he was clicking and searching which I believe the Q bank. u need to review the control, ODE, limits, matrix, bode plot, OOP, inheritance, subclass, PDE, PID. u need to understand and be able to calculate some questions, which are usually basic.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in August 2014.

I applied online for this advertised opening. I had one phone interview, possibly with the recruiter, then was asked in for an onsite interview. I had to develop and give a relevant presentation for the position. This was then followed by several one on one interviews with people related to position, and with hiring manager. It was hard to get feedback. Sometime after, the recruited indicated that they were pursuing other candidates.

Human Resources Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I applied online – interviewed at MathWorks in August 2014.

The interview process was very long. Many phone interviews then a few trips back, including full day of meetings starting with a presentation I was asked to develop. It was a lot of work/process for a fairly junior level job. I checked salary potential against my salary expectations throughout process to be sure we were aligned and I was told we were absolutely aligned. When it came to offer, I was presented with a salary that was much much lower than what we had discussed. I turned it down. What I learned about MathWorks during this process: 1) they are not honest and don't "Do the right thing" as they preach in their values; 2) newer staff is unhappy and feel as though they've been sold a bill of goods. MathWorks is not living up to their expectations.

See above

Desktop Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MathWorks.

Had a phone interview with the Hiring Manager First. Then Interview with HR, and all members of the Support Team for about a half hour for each member on site. Even though they did not hire me, I had to interview with everyone and was on site for more than 4 hours, 2x with HR with a questionnaire.

Interview Questions
    • How you proactively improve a system process   View Answer

Applications Support Engineer Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in June 2014.

First-round was a 5-question pre-recording video interview and second-round was on phone. Topics include linear algebra, calculus, C, C++, Java and web services.Waiting for the call. In java, What is oop, encapsulation, function overriding etc, Difference between JRE and JDK, Why java platform independent, what is final and abstract class in java?