MathWorks Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at MathWorks.

Intern positon. A senior engineer conducted the interview and asked a lot of questions about programming. I tried my best. He asked me about my projects and my skills. A lot of strong questions for an intern position. It's very upset. It's a very bad interview experiences and the phone disconnected couple times. I don't like the style they proceeded.

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MathWorks.

One phone interview from human resources, one phone interview from a technical perspective. The woman from human resources was very friendly and they asked simple questions such as 'What do you do in the face of a challenge?' etc, and she immediately scheduled a date for a technical interview. The technical interview is easy as well but you should brush up on your object oriented programming.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a depth first search, void pointers, difference between a directed acyclic graph and binary search tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MathWorks.

Get a video interview two days after applying. All normal questions and all of them are posted here.
    1. Why the job interests you
    2. Handle multiply Projects
    3. GPA
    4. Any restriction for working in US.
    5. What is your advantages

The preparation time for different questions are different. For example, for the question of GPA, you only have 10 seconds to prepare. So, be careful.

Although I answer very badly in one question, I still got a tech review two days after I did the video interview. So, be relax.

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in February 2015.

4 part process -
    1st interview: basic HR type questions
    2nd: technical
    3rd: teamwork / behavior
    4th: behavior / HR stuff

The process moved along fast enough. The questions were fair. The interviewers were nice. For the technical interview, just stay calm and think out loud. The interviewer is there to help you.

One odd thing though, was that the 4th interview was more or less the same as the 1st and 3rd interview, but shorter. They asked me the same questions they had asked me in prior interviews.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in February 2015.

First phone call was the recruiting person and was basic personality stuff. Only lasted like 10 minutes. The second interview was about a week later with someone technical. Lasted about 30-40 minutes. Mostly stuff about different data structures and basic programming concepts. I had chosen java as my language so there were some questions about somewhat basic java concepts. Overall the questions were easier than I thought they would be but I still feel like I should have been able to answer them better and more clearly.

Interview Questions
    • What is a global variable? What is postorder, preorder, etc. Difference between a tree and a directed acyclic graph. All stuff like that.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online and was contacted very soon afterward to set up a phone interview. There was a very short beharvioral interview first - about 20 minutes, and then a technical phone interview about a week later. I was asked about basic data structures and Object Oriented Design questions, as well as some fundamental logic concepts.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to give a tautology, which I hadn't thought about since class.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MathWorks in January 2015.

Applied for a different opening, but got contacted to have technical interview for a software engineer position. I accepted to do the interview, although had no interest in the position itself. Interviewer seemed enthusiastic about Mathworks, especially about its mentoring culture and crash course training programs.

Be familiar with data structures and algorithms.

Interview Questions
    • 1. C++ questions
      2. What data structure would you use and how would you implement a sparse matrix?
      3. What is a semaphore?
      4. Polymorphism

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MathWorks.

There were four interviews. The first one was a general interview that talks about the position and sets up the technical interview. The second one was the technical interview, composed with short answer questions related in various CS fields. The third one was a talk with the SE manager, mostly resume and behavior questions. The last one was a talk with the HR person, with some behavior questions and mostly talks about the later hiring process.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in November 2014.

Record video and answer 5 question. And you have to check the status to at their website. This role is for the entry level. And the responsity of this job is to help customer find the solution when they have a problem with Matlab and take a training when you take this job. Then you can choose other groups when you finish this training.

Interview Questions
    • All behavior questions, including GPA, project and so on.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in October 2014.

Applied online. Scheduled the first phone interview within a couple of weeks with the recruiter. Basic behavioral questions, what was a challenge you overcome, what were the steps you took to overcome it, that kind of stuff. Scheduled a technical interview after that - the recruiter offered to give me a few extra weeks to prepare, which I took. Technical interview was over the phone as well, 100% knowledge-based questions, no coding or problem-solving. Lasted about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really, just know the ins and outs of whatever language they interview you in very well.   Answer Question