MathWorks Storage and Virtualization Engineering Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

5.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Storage and Virtualization Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MathWorks in March 2011.

The hiring and interview process was lengthy, but this is a very engineering orientated company so it seemed fit. Started out with a few phone screen interviews with manager and another with a engineer. Asked some basic questions related to job and was you typical phone interview. The in person interiew was an experience.. From what i was told while there, it used to be 2 days, but now they are a full day, I first met with HR and went over benefits and salary.. Which i thought was weird as that should be done at the end of hiring process and felt uncomfortable negotating.. Next was a presentation in front of team. Then it was a meeting with someone every 30 mins until 5 pm.. Had a 1 yr lunch break (but ate with team and its still part of process as they are trying to figure personality,,, Everyone is an engineer so personalities were intresting as well as questions.. They have a set of questions that they have to ask you that seems like they get from different groups..

I did like the company and it seemed that they are doing well and all everyone talked about is how great the bonus program is... Seems like they take care of there employees and everyone has an office..

My advice would be to bring a power bar as you will need the energy as well as an advil from the stressful day. Just be yourself and dont feel threatend by the engineers asking questions.. If you also ask questions back, i threw off a few people and it was interesting where the rest of there questions went.. Some evern felt threatened after because they didnt give the best reply back. Maybe it wasnt a good thing, but i was getting drilled and wanted to know if they actually knew what they were talking about.

Overall, if they hire you, it could be a good place.. It wasnt a good fit for me and looking back, i am glad i didnt end up working there. (I also wasnt offered the position)...Everyone kept asking if you didnt mind other groups interfereing and questioning everything you do.. Seems like that is the culture... Hope this helps..

Interview Questions
  • Toughest part of questioning was questions that didnt relate to my field and they just wanted to know how you think and come up with answers.   View Answer
  • What is a SAN.. What is a NAS.. What is multipathing...   View Answer