Mathematica Policy Research Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2015

2.9

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Ann Arbor, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online in June and received a response in July so about a month time frame to schedule a phone interview. The process was very flexible. The HR Generalist asked for several dates I was free to speak and we scheduled based off those available dates and times.

Interview Questions

• Why did you chose Mathematica? Asked extensive questions about the specific roles within the job description and how you've performed them or not.   Answer Question

Webcast Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Hiring process was exciting. I spent four hours learning about the position and meeting the people I would work with. Basically it was 6 interviews where I asked and responded to questions about why I applied for the position.

Interview Questions

I already had vacations planned and while HR was fine with my taking leave without pay, the supervisor I would report to was not comfortable with a new hire taking leave. The vacations were already paid for so I had to decline the offer of employment. I was taken aback at the supervisor's inflexibility. Also, I was notified after the offer that overtime, though rare, would be expected. This expectation was not mentioned during the phone interview or during the four-hour office interview. While I really wanted to accept the offer, in the end I decided it wouldn't be a good fit.

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed to arrange a phone interview about four days later. I had a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager in which we talked about the ole and the organization. They asked straightforward questions about my resume. I got a rejection email about a month and a half later and the hiring manager followed up with some advice, which I appreciated.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my experience "managing up" with more senior employees to ensure work was completed.   Answer Question

Health Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Princeton, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

You first get scheduled for a telephone interview, which lasts about half an hour. It is very conversational, and you get to discuss a bit about your experience and skills. You then find out within a week or two if you will be invited for an office interview, which pretty much involves a full day of meeting potential colleagues and "superiors" at the office. It is, again, very conversational and actually a great interview experience. You get to learn a great deal of details about past and ongoing projects, and can ask many different questions throughout the day.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The hiring process is quite opaque. The firm shows its roots in Princeton, not interfacing with qualified applicants in any meaningful way. I'd rather have someone contact me after having reviewed my resume for relevance, but this firm seems to be quite like federal agencies in filtering applications in a machine-like fashion.

Survey Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed within two weeks to set up a phone interview. The call was more of a conversation about the reasons why I wanted the job and what the job would entail. In a week I was emailed to set up an in-person interview. This was scheduled for a few weeks later. I met with 7 or 8 different people either over Skype or in person, and each interview lasted a half hour. They took some time to get back to me (over two weeks when they said 1-2 weeks) and I was informed I didn't get the job.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

A very discussion oriented, interests-based interview. Much more of a conversational tone than traditional interviews. I was pleasantly surprised that a Sr. Communications Officer made the call instead of HR. We had a very good 30 minute discussion where it became clear what I wanted to do and what Mathematica needed didn't quite mesh, at which point I withdrew my candidacy. Overall a very positive experience, though I obviously cannot comment on the 'substantive' all-day interview process that is legendary to Mathematica.

Program Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted a few weeks later regarding a phone interview. The asked general questions about me and my interest in the company, then they talked about the company and the role of the position I was applying for. About a week later I was contacted for a second in office interview. It went great! All of the interviewers were so friendly and really interested in getting to know me and discuss my background. However, be prepared for a very long day with multiple interviews.

Interview Questions

• Discuss your Resume, How did you here about company, What are your interest, and other general questions.   Answer Question

Survey Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Cambridge, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen with an HR person and then was brought in for a full day of interviewing with many different people on different levels. The phone screen seemed like it was more of a formality , the actual assessment was more the in person interview. Each interview was about half an hour with a break for lunch.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research.

Interview

Received an email about a month after applying online to set up a short interview. Had a phone call with a staff person and HR person that lasted around half an hour. Got a pretty good idea of the work that they do and the qualifications/skills they were looking for, and felt pretty apparent that I did not quite fit the role. That being said, it was nice to hear more about the company, and both people were very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Pretty general questions about previous data and research experience.   Answer Question