Mathnasium

Updated Nov 9, 2014
Updated Nov 9, 2014

1.9

A Role Other Than Tutor Interview

I want to be frank, however protecting my identity is the highest priority. My interview experience was filled with evasiveness, disorganization, and finally disrespect. The employee whom I interacted with should be identified and reprimanded for their unprofessional conduct. It is unfortunate that they know that they should act in a better manner, yet they intentionally chose to do otherwise. I would be wary of this company and I am hesitant to advise anyone regarding Marhnasium.

Math Tutor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mathnasium.

I contacted them through my college, as I was searching for jobs through the college website. I emailed Mathnasium about the offering and was told to arrive at a certain appointment date with the attached application form and my resume. They also told me that I had to take a math literacy test. So when I went there, I handed in those two items and was immediately asked to take the test. There were two parts - the first part dealt with basic math, while the second had math content that went up to Trigonometry. Being a math wizard, I found it pretty easy. I never got any form of a regular interview though. I was told that they'll get in touch right after I had finished the literacy test. I am currently waiting for my results.

Interview Questions
    • Find the domain and range of some function that I don't even remember right now. Keep in mind that these were one of the easier questions, but it's the first one I remember off the top of my head.   Answer Question
    It was the same pay for all new employees. Just keep cool and don't be nervous while taking the test.

Mathematics Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mathnasium.

I initiated contact by emailing after being told they were opening a new location in Brooklyn. I was told to come in the next day to interview. When I showed up I was asked if I was there for the math test - I responded no I didn't need tutoring, I was there to tutor. I was apparently there for the math test - long, thorough, covered all grades and a lot of material. It took a lot of time, made the interview longer than I had anticipated but applicants who want to instruct math should be comfortable with it. Scored in front of me. Owner was impressed with my skills and how I answered interview and math questions. Offered job on the spot which I at first accepted. A LOT of paperwork emailed to me later that night, including: an agreement to pay back the background fee if I failed; an agreement to pay back the fee if I resigned within 90 days; a noncompete that said I couldn't work at any other math instruction job (aside from a nonprofit public school) for a year within 50 miles, etc.

After several days of contemplation, I turned down the job due to some "red flag" comments/questions during interview, the 90 day clause, the insane noncompete (for someone who just quit NYCDOE and Math Instruction is how I make a living), the way-too-low wage, and extraneous circumstances.

Interview Questions
    • A few interview-inappropriate questions and comments were difficult to respond to and unexpected.   Answer Question

Math Instructor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mathnasium.

I inquired for a possible position after a friend of mine who worked at the center informed me about a an employee leaving. After initial email communication, I came in for an interview. Mostly behavioral style questions. How would you handle certain situations kind of questions. After that, there was a fairly simple math proficiency exam. Basic arithmetic all the way up to geometric proofs and a bit of algebra 2 stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Hmmm most difficult would be the math exam especially the geometric proof section.   Answer Question
    Not any negotiation

Math Instructor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mathnasium in July 2014.

I contacted them and they asked me to come in and I took a math test. Then I talked to the director and then they asked me to teach for an hour to evaluate my teaching skill and then I was hired.

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mathnasium in June 2014.

They had me take a math test on elementary though high school math questions after a brief form and conversation with the manager. I needed a 85 and I got an 84. They gave some partial credit but not to me so I guess they didn't want me. When I asked to see my test they claimed to have shreaded it. I guess I really screwed something up because as far as I can tell they really didn't want me.

Math Tutor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mathnasium.

Basically just came in for a quick interview and got the job. She really did not ask a lot of questions. I just told her I was a straight A student in calculus and I loved kids.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions asked. The interview was mainly about availability for me.   Answer Question

Instructor Interview

first i was interviewed over the phone. Then had to take a math literacy test at the center. Test consisted of some basic algebra, geometry, and fractions. A couple days later, I had a 1-1 interview with the director. Very friendly environment and people. The Interview is mainly to see your interpersonal skills since the test takes care of the math portion.

Interview Questions
    • typical behavioral questions (2 weaknesses, 2 strengths)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mathnasium.

First, we were each given an application to fill out. Then we needed to complete a math test with a satisfactory score; it was not especially difficult, I just wasn't prepared for some of the questions. The actual interview, which followed, was relaxed. Both interviewers were extremely courteous and professional.

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mathnasium in February 2014.

I emailed my resume and a cover letter in the morning, and received a call the same day. They told me to come in for an interview, explained there would be a math assessment (up to geometry, but it was primarily algebra). The interview was pretty straightforward. They asked me about my past tutoring experience and educational background and ran a scenario where I tutored the director on two problems. Really brush up on simple algebra and solving different word problems and equations. They went over the exam and I got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    Minimum was $10, got $11, and if I work for over 60 days, I'm bumped to $12/hr.