Mathnasium Interview Questions

Updated Apr 1, 2015

2.0

Math Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Mathnasium.

Interview

I talked with the center director on the phone and scheduled a date to take the instructor exam. If you are comfortable with algebra and mental math you should do fine on the exam. Before I was hired I worked with the students for one day to make sure that I was comfortable working with kids.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you will work well with kids?   1 Answer

Math Instructor Interview

Interview

Interviewed at a couple of these locations that are within 10 miles of one another- seems they are putting them on top of one another and owners are having to compete for instructors and students. Owners seem to be working hard to make a go of it. Might try going back in summer.

Interview Questions

• Can bid one location against another for the best hourly rate.   Answer Question

Math Instructor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mathnasium.

Interview

Cold emailed, came in to take a test and some typical behavioral questions: why are you interested in math, what experience do you have teaching. Conversational. Seemed fairly unregulated and since they want customers the phone is always a good way to reach them. Answered emails quickly and were very professional.

Math Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mathnasium.

Interview

Simple face-to-face interview followed by the Mathnasium Math Literacy Test. The literacy test ranged from basic numerical fluency to Algebra II and Geometry. Practice literacy tests can be found on most Mathnasium websites under "check-ups".

Interview Questions

• Nothing too crazy, the occasional vague high school word problem using techniques you probably haven't used in years.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not attempt, the hourly wage is standard for new tutors.

Math Instructor Interview

Interview

Submitted a resume and got called to schedule the interview. Had to take the placement test. We talked a bit about my experience with kids, why I want to teach and what motivated me to take this job. More like a conversation than an interview

Interview

I want to be frank, however protecting my identity is the highest priority. My interview experience was filled with evasiveness, disorganization, and finally disrespect. The employee whom I interacted with should be identified and reprimanded for their unprofessional conduct. It is unfortunate that they know that they should act in a better manner, yet they intentionally chose to do otherwise. I would be wary of this company and I am hesitant to advise anyone regarding Marhnasium.

Math Tutor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mathnasium.

Interview

I contacted them through my college, as I was searching for jobs through the college website. I emailed Mathnasium about the offering and was told to arrive at a certain appointment date with the attached application form and my resume. They also told me that I had to take a math literacy test. So when I went there, I handed in those two items and was immediately asked to take the test. There were two parts - the first part dealt with basic math, while the second had math content that went up to Trigonometry. Being a math wizard, I found it pretty easy. I never got any form of a regular interview though. I was told that they'll get in touch right after I had finished the literacy test. I am currently waiting for my results.

Interview Questions

• Find the domain and range of some function that I don't even remember right now. Keep in mind that these were one of the easier questions, but it's the first one I remember off the top of my head.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was the same pay for all new employees. Just keep cool and don't be nervous while taking the test.

Mathematics Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mathnasium (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

I initiated contact by emailing after being told they were opening a new location in Brooklyn. I was told to come in the next day to interview. When I showed up I was asked if I was there for the math test - I responded no I didn't need tutoring, I was there to tutor. I was apparently there for the math test - long, thorough, covered all grades and a lot of material. It took a lot of time, made the interview longer than I had anticipated but applicants who want to instruct math should be comfortable with it. Scored in front of me. Owner was impressed with my skills and how I answered interview and math questions. Offered job on the spot which I at first accepted. A LOT of paperwork emailed to me later that night, including: an agreement to pay back the background fee if I failed; an agreement to pay back the fee if I resigned within 90 days; a noncompete that said I couldn't work at any other math instruction job (aside from a nonprofit public school) for a year within 50 miles, etc.

After several days of contemplation, I turned down the job due to some "red flag" comments/questions during interview, the 90 day clause, the insane noncompete (for someone who just quit NYCDOE and Math Instruction is how I make a living), the way-too-low wage, and extraneous circumstances.

Interview Questions

• A few interview-inappropriate questions and comments were difficult to respond to and unexpected.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mathnasium (Milpitas, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

got emailed for an interview and a math test. the math test was not too hard, mostly are basic algebra. then interviewed for a few question like why do you want to work here, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Park, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mathnasium (Highland Park, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

It was a short interview with a few questions followed by a math test and then evaluation working with a few of the kids at the center. The math test covered up to geometry and trig but mostly was very simple. The evaluation was slightly nerve wracking so it is important to remember that you are being evaluated on how you explain topics and how you interact with kids.

Interview Questions

• What am I currently doing? (school, working, etc.) Since I was a student they then asked me when I would be graduating.   Answer Question