Mattersight Associate Consultant Interview Questions

3.3

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

Multiple phone interviews followed by in person interview at chicago office

Other Interview Reviews for Mattersight

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mattersight in May 2011.

There are three rounds of interviews. The first is a simple behavior interview conducted over the phone. The second round is another phone interview, with two parts--another behavior interview, and a "logic" question. There are no case studies in any rounds--the brain teasers instead simulate the type of thinking process necessary in the consulting realm. The questions are not overly difficult, but as they do not relate to business problems, it can be hard to prepare for them, and they may not actually give you a chance to display your true skill. The final interview is held at their HQ, where you have a 4 hour interview consisting first of a Wonderlic test, followed by several one on one interviews which mix behavioral interviews with more brain teasers. Overall, the interviews are not too tough, although I did not get an offer, so perhaps I am underestimating the toughness. You just have to hope the brain teaser is one you can understand easily. Also, it may take some time for them to get back to you about whether or not you will get an offer. If you do really well, you will likely hear back immediately. Otherwise, it may take upwards of a month or longer before you hear for sure whether or not you get an offer, or if they will decline your application.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you could go back to 1990 and start any business you wanted. What would you choose? Why? What would concern you with your choice?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Mattersight in March 2011.

Very long interview process. Did not reimburse me for a day's worth of traveling to and from the interview. Felt like I did great during the interview, but got no feedback until they gave the job away two weeks later. The interview itself consisted of 4 one on ones with people who work there. Each had different questions. One focused on my resume and experiences, another asked me intelligence questions, another asked a bunch of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is a piece of advice you wish you had been given before starting college?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Mattersight in February 2011.

Got an interview through campus. First, there was a brief phone screen with an HR person. A few weeks later I was asked for a phone interview with a mid-level consultant. In this interview, I was asked behavioral questions and various case questions regarding quality assurance at a salt/pepper shaker manufacturer (i.e, What are the various components of production? What steps would you take to identify defects? How would you communicate errors to your superior?) I was also asked a few creativity/critical thinking questions.

After this phone interview I was asked to go to Chicago to interview with eLoyalty employees of varying levels. I have not gone to Chicago yet, though, I find it bizarre that eLoyalty does not cover any travel costs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Mattersight in December 2010.

First had an HR interview. Next had an interview with an associate consultant where I was asked logic questions. Next had an interview with someone higher up. All over the phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Mattersight in October 2010.

I met this company initially at a University career fair, but was also referred by a current employee. The interview process was long and drawn out. I had my first phone interview within a week of talking with them at the career fair. This interview was a basic behavioral interview: asking about my background, why I studied what I did in college/grad school, and why I was interested in the company. After this, I had 2 more phone interviews over the course of a month and were designed to see how I interpreted problems and came to a solution. I then had a day long interview in Chicago in which I met with 4 different people for a series of interviews over the course of the day. The first 2 were behavioral, like the initial phone interview, and the last 2 were all about problem solving.

Overall, I noticed a lack of communication between the interviewers. I was asked the same questions by multiple people over the course of the interview process and responded with pretty much the same answer each time.

Interview Questions
    • If you were present with a room with 3 lamps in it, yet the switches for the outlets controlling these lamps were outside the door, how would you determine with switch controlled each outlet in only one attempt, assuming you could not see in the room while flipping switches?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mattersight in September 2010.

I had two phone interviews followed by an in-person interview with 4 different co-workers. The interviewing styles ranged from asking me primarily about my resume all the way to pretty odd questions that sought to get the applicant to apply problem solving skills and reason through problems. Laid back work culture.

Interview Questions
    • How was your previous work experience relevant to this position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mattersight in March 2010.

The first stage was a phone interview with an HR person, this went very well and they were excited about me joining their team. The second stage was a phone interview with one of their senior consultants. This was pretty much the same kind of questions (tell us about yourself, what was your most recent success, why does this position match your interests) He also asked me some logic questions such as (It's 1:15 what is the angle between the clock's hands, How much would you charge to wash all the windows in downtown)

I didn't do very well on the logic questions and I think that killed the interview.

Interview Questions
    • How much would you charge to wash the windows in downtown?   View Answers (2)
    • You have an unlimited number of marbles colored 3 ways (green, red, blue) how many marbles do you need to select in order to be certain you have one of each color   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Mattersight in September 2009.

This process took altogether too long. I was first contacted in early August for a phone interview. Then I was contacted about 2 weeks later for a second phone interview. After 2 weeks of no response, I inquired and was told I would "most likely" be asked to interview in person. I was contacted a few days later for the in-person interview. This consisted of an "IQ" test and four 45-minute interviews. When I arrived, I was placed in a small room where I remained the entire morning. Each interviewer came in individually. I was not given a tour of the office nor any literature on the company. I already had a phone interview with one of my interviewers that day, so that interview was repetitive and unnecessary. All the interviewers asked the same questions repeatedly. The HR rep told me that he would get back to me in about 4 business days; it has been over 3 weeks and I have not received an email, phone call, nor letter response. I have obviously lost interest as this company seems disorganized and inconsiderate.

Interview Questions

Worked for Mattersight? Contribute to the Community!