Mattress Firm

Updated Feb 8, 2015
Updated Feb 8, 2015

2.5

Sales Manager Interview

Was contacted by the company maybe a week after applying online. Set up a phone interview that was supposed to take 15 minutes and took 30. They started by describing their personal experience moving up the ranks in the company and then asked for my background. Interview was easy, and afterward I was required to take 2 online tests--one timed, math-related, and the other a personality test. Have on-site interview next week.

Manager On Duty Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Mattress Firm.

The interview was relatively easy. They asked questions about my experience and the usual interview questions.

Personality is what seems to be important. If you seem responsible and have a winning personality, then I am sure you will be hired.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision and what was the result?   View Answer
    There was none. The pay is what they say it is.

SMOD Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at Mattress Firm in December 2014.

Was referred to the company by an employee of Bedding experts after they were initial acquired by Mattress Firm. Applied over the summer it HR close to 2 months to get back to me in regards to an interview.

Did over the phone interview with the HR recruiter that lasted 35-40 mins. Exactly energy throughout out the phone interview made you feel excited and welcomed to the position and company. The phone interview was rather personable and engaging, seemingly switching from side bar conversation to standard interview questions.

2 weeks later interviewed with a district manager and an area manager face to face . Again the interview was upbeat and engaging with both the DM and AM answering the interview questions from their own experience.

At the interview end, was offered a shadow day to see how the store operates . Went to the the shadow didn't much happen. Great time with the SMOD as he told me about the job from his POV.
    The shadow was the day before Xmas eve but didn't get an offer until January 4 after placing several calls to the DM.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me about a time when you had a negative customer experience?   Answer Question
    Was sent an offer sheet from HR detailing the pay scale and commission struction. No negotiations were involved.

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I applied online – interviewed at Mattress Firm.

I went through the initial phone interview and moved on to the next step which was to meet the District Manager. The interview was scheduled and I drove over to the interview and the District Manager never showed up. On my way home I called the DM and he indicated that he left me a message on my home phone. When I got home I checked my messages and sure enough he did. The only problem is he left the message after I had already left for the interview. He said he didn't have my cell phone number which is ironic because I was called by the HR department on my cell phone. Long story short, I would not want to work for a company that showed the lack of organization that Mattress Firm did. I called HR the next day and they made every excuse they could to try to cover for the DM and I told them I was not interested in pursuing a position with the company. I was told the DM used to own the chain of stores that Mattress Firm bought from him. I very seldom ever see any customers in any of their stores. My suggestion before going to work for this company is talking to some of the employees presently working in the town that you plan on interviewing with.

Store Manager Trainnee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mattress Firm in November 2014.

The interview was a breezy. Why do you want to work here, what qualities do you possess that will make you a great fit. Tell me about yourself. Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a client. Tell me about a time you didn't follow procedures. Where do you see yourself in 5 years.

Interview Questions
    • None, If you review the interview questions on glass door you will do just fine.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Mattress Firm in November 2014.

Applied online. Emailed to schedule interview time/location. Interview was at a hotel 10 miles away. Interview was conducted in a large banquet room at a large table sitting at the end. Interviewer was very friendly and easy going. They said they would get back to me in a week or so.

Interview Questions

Minimum hours were 50 hours per week. You were not assigned to a store. You have to drive to different locations every day. Some over ten miles. The pay does not equal to the amount of hours worked. Mandatory two week training was over 20 miles from my home and paid ten dollars an hour.

Manager In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mattress Firm in November 2014.

Process took about 2-3 weeks. I talked to a recruiter who says that my resume was impressive, but started the interview off asking me to talk about myself. The recruiter seemed ill prepared and only had about 3 questions for me that seemed to be general and then asked me if I had any questions. Phone call was supposed to be 30 minutes. Only lasted 15 minutes.

Store Manager/Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mattress Firm.

I was initially contacted by a corporate recruiter for a phone interview and then I was scheduled for an in-person interview with the district manager. The interview was quite long for me because I really hit it off with the District Manager and we just talked a great deal. I was made to feel very comfortable and it was an easy interview for me because I felt very relaxed. After this interview I got a job offer within two days. Then it was about another week before I actually started my job.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any unexpected or difficult questions for me.   Answer Question
    No negotiation at all. It is a flat offer.

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online and within the next month a HR person called me and asked what times that I would be available to interview. The interview process was fairly easy because I have been preparing for interviews with other companies. once I completed the first interview I was asked to meet with the District manager. This interview was not really difficult as well. After this meeting I was offered a position with Matress Firm.

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomingdale, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Bloomingdale, IL

interviewed at Mattress Firm in October 2014.

applied online. took a mental aptitude test for about an hour. after a week got a call from the HR office to schedule a time to meet someone for an interview. The place for interviews was an hour and 15 min drive away . Ive never seen a major corporation have interviews and training 70 miles from the city you apply for. I ran a few minutes late but did call ahead to who was supposed to meet me(voicemail). Found out later he wasn't even in the same state that day.. when I did get to the office I had to sit in an empty office for almost 30 minutes until someone got around to wanting to run the interview. then it was almost an hour of "name a time when blah blah blah" name your strenths weakness. what would your last supervisor say about you doing....blah blah. why do you want to work here. its my dream job to sell $3000 mattresses. one question was sell me a bottle of water. I did a quick needs basis sell and she was confused probably never seen that skill. then she said whats good about the water and I did the normal wimpy sales pitch she was looking for. Found out job is 5 10 hour days. I can see why its salary when you work all those hours. Commission should be around 15k avg they say. but still a decent pay. after all that effort I got a canned email saying no. ive been in sales over 10 years and can sell mattresses in my sleep

Interview Questions
    • there weren't any hard questions it was all textbook q&a   Answer Question