Mattress Firm

Average Difficulty
76 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager In Training

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mattress Firm.

Interview Details – I was notified because a recruiter saw my Resume' online. His name was Bryce. He was very nice and just asked general information and some things about my resume'. He told me what they were looking for and that I didn't need previous experience to sell mattresses. He set up a second interview with someone closer to where I lived. The second interview was actually at a building and they asked me more questions about my personality. They are looking to see if they feel like someone would buy from you, would want to work with you for long periods of time, and could you be their boss one day!

Interview Question – Sell me this item.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Sales Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Mattress Firm.

Interview Details – I was called by a Talent Acquisition Recruiter. She called around 1 PM. I interviewed with her at 5:30 PM on that same day.

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Mattress Firm Store Manager Interview

Mattress Firm Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Mattress Firm.

Interview Details – I came into Mattress Firm as a walk in to recieve help with the purchase of a mattress. Afterwards was told about the compnay and that they were expanding and looking for great people. After completing the application, spoke with District Manager about a face to face interview. Filled out basic info (Tax stuff,contact info ect) Drug test, background check. Then started work on the first of the month.

Interview Question – The interview was very laid back, they are mainly looking to see if you are a people person or not and how much work experience you have.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, the company paid more than previous employer and better work enviroment and benefits.

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mattress Firm in September 2011.

Interview Details – You will apply online and if they like you they will ask you to fill out an online personality and IQ test. The next step will be for a recruiter to call you and conduct a phone interview to screen you before forwarding you on to interview with a District Manager. If the District Manager likes you they will offer you a job providing you pass background check etc.

Interview Question – They will ask you behavioral interview style questions and may in fact have you interview with more than one person. An example question would be like...tell me about a time where you had a disagreement with a coworker or boss, or where you went above and beyond the line of duty? Make sure you practice standard questions about strengths and weaknesses etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation because everyone gets a base that is a draw against commisions and bonuses.

Manager On Duty Interview

Manager On Duty
Wilmington, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mattress Firm in January 2013.

Interview Details – Rather involved. 2 online tests, a phone interview, and a live interview.

Interview Question – If you had an elephant, what would you do with it?   Answer Question

Fort Myers, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mattress Firm.

Interview Details – Two phone call interviews, face to face

Interview Question – When you had a difficult situation or disagreement with a Management staff, how did you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on salary, but start date was negotiated.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mattress Firm in August 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process is thorough but enjoyable. Starts with online testing, then phone interview, then face to face meeting.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Akron, OH

Interview Details – Great process but BE CAREFUL OF THE BAIT AND SWITCH.

Submitted an application online, took the two tests, one multiple choice timed and the other was more of a personality quiz. Both tests took about an hour total. After finishing the application process I was contacted within an hour and a half after completion for scheduling a phone interview. The Interview went well on the phone and then was contacted a day later to set up the in person interview.

They are just opening up in the Ohio area so they were conducting a good amount of interviews at a local hotel. I met with the market and district managers for the interview. It lasted about an hour and both men were very easy to talk to and likeable. The questions were fairly basic and the most interesting and impacting dialogue came from my questions.

I was contacted a few days later and verbally offered the job. The market manager gave me some initial information and told me to wait a day or so for the written offer in my email. He also gave me his cell phone so I could ask questions, which was a nice touch. Every part of the process up to this point was top notch but the next part is where it gets a little shady.

After receiving the offer in the mail, the base pay did not match the listed pay range on the application site. In fact even after the training period the base pay was barely half of the printed range. Now I know in a sales environment you work towards commission and such but the add stated a good base pay plus commission and bonuses. Seemed to make sense for a managerial position. I called the manager on the number he gave me just to clarify a few things before I signed. We had a nice conversation, I kept my questions calm and simple and just wanted to clarify exactly how the pay system would work and why the numbers were so far off the advertised range. (In fact even the highest glassdoor salary range was a good 4k below the low end of the listed range. He was very cordial and answered my questions, stating the advertised range includes commission and bonuses (even though they were listed separately below the base pay range on the add.) I thanked him for his time again, and told him how much I appreciated him offering and answering my questions. (NOTE: I would like to say I just honestly asked questions and tried to clear up discrepancies, I did not try to negotiate a better deal or even say that I felt mislead a bit, I just asked the questions to try and make the numbers make sense.)

After the call he still was very nice on the phone and thanked me for my questions. We parted way on good terms and I said I would talk to him the following morning to finish everything up. I received an email less than an hour later, through a 3rd party email address notifying me that my offer had been revoked... Guess one of my questions must have hit a nerve. Again I stayed very cordial and appreciative in my conversations but I guess they don't like it when you point out things are "not as advertised". Again the guys were awesome to talk to and the process was pretty smooth and quick, but something doesn't pass the smell test here. Thank goodness I asked the questions before signing the offer letter.

Interview Question – What in your opinion defines a career for you?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The shady behavior after asking questions about the misleading job posts. They informed me in the interview that being open and honest was very important to the company. Follow this up with misleading advertisements and offers and honesty doesn't seem to be the best policy here. And DON'T ASK QUESTIONS!

Manager On Duty Interview

Manager On Duty

I applied online and interviewed at Mattress Firm.

Interview Details – You start off with a phone interview from Texas then after you will meet the district manager. They will ask about your sales background and working in retail. They will discuss commission, training, and draw pay. The DM is nice and very easy to talk. They will tell you about the potential commission and growth with the company.

Interview Question – The easiest question but hardest thing about the job are the hrs. They will ask if you are flexible to work weekends, holidays and late hours.   Answer Question

Sales Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Mattress Firm.

Interview Details – It's hard to remember because it was a few years ago but I met them at a career fair at my University. I believe they contacted me within a couple days for an in-person interview

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions. Be prepared to answer questions like "What are your weaknesses" and "Tell me about a time when you encountered a problem with a disgruntled customer. How did you handle it?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As of a few years ago, everyone makes the same base salary. To make more, you'll want to make as much commission as possible. (Have good numbers = get put in a larger store & get promoted more quickly)