Mattress Firm

Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mattress Firm in August 2013.

Great process but BE CAREFUL OF THE BAIT AND SWITCH.

Submitted an application online, took the two tests, one multiple choice timed and the other was more of a personality quiz. Both tests took about an hour total. After finishing the application process I was contacted within an hour and a half after completion for scheduling a phone interview. The Interview went well on the phone and then was contacted a day later to set up the in person interview.

They are just opening up in the Ohio area so they were conducting a good amount of interviews at a local hotel. I met with the market and district managers for the interview. It lasted about an hour and both men were very easy to talk to and likeable. The questions were fairly basic and the most interesting and impacting dialogue came from my questions.

I was contacted a few days later and verbally offered the job. The market manager gave me some initial information and told me to wait a day or so for the written offer in my email. He also gave me his cell phone so I could ask questions, which was a nice touch. Every part of the process up to this point was top notch but the next part is where it gets a little shady.

After receiving the offer in the mail, the base pay did not match the listed pay range on the application site. In fact even after the training period the base pay was barely half of the printed range. Now I know in a sales environment you work towards commission and such but the add stated a good base pay plus commission and bonuses. Seemed to make sense for a managerial position. I called the manager on the number he gave me just to clarify a few things before I signed. We had a nice conversation, I kept my questions calm and simple and just wanted to clarify exactly how the pay system would work and why the numbers were so far off the advertised range. (In fact even the highest glassdoor salary range was a good 4k below the low end of the listed range. He was very cordial and answered my questions, stating the advertised range includes commission and bonuses (even though they were listed separately below the base pay range on the add.) I thanked him for his time again, and told him how much I appreciated him offering and answering my questions. (NOTE: I would like to say I just honestly asked questions and tried to clear up discrepancies, I did not try to negotiate a better deal or even say that I felt mislead a bit, I just asked the questions to try and make the numbers make sense.)

After the call he still was very nice on the phone and thanked me for my questions. We parted way on good terms and I said I would talk to him the following morning to finish everything up. I received an email less than an hour later, through a 3rd party email address notifying me that my offer had been revoked... Guess one of my questions must have hit a nerve. Again I stayed very cordial and appreciative in my conversations but I guess they don't like it when you point out things are "not as advertised". Again the guys were awesome to talk to and the process was pretty smooth and quick, but something doesn't pass the smell test here. Thank goodness I asked the questions before signing the offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • What in your opinion defines a career for you?   View Answer

The shady behavior after asking questions about the misleading job posts. They informed me in the interview that being open and honest was very important to the company. Follow this up with misleading advertisements and offers and honesty doesn't seem to be the best policy here. And DON'T ASK QUESTIONS!

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Interview process is thorough but enjoyable. Starts with online testing, then phone interview, then face to face meeting.

No negotiations

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mattress Firm.

It's hard to remember because it was a few years ago but I met them at a career fair at my University. I believe they contacted me within a couple days for an in-person interview

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. Be prepared to answer questions like "What are your weaknesses" and "Tell me about a time when you encountered a problem with a disgruntled customer. How did you handle it?"   Answer Question
    As of a few years ago, everyone makes the same base salary. To make more, you'll want to make as much commission as possible. (Have good numbers = get put in a larger store & get promoted more quickly)

Manager On Duty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mattress Firm.

Applied on line
    They will call you if match is found

Interview Questions
    • Tell me aobut a time you did not agree with your boss and what did you do?

What is your 3 greatest achievements. Which is the most important and why?

All will be behavioral questions, you would think you were trying to work for IBM or some prestigous company.
        Answer Question
    Everyone makes the same low base and you have to pay it back before you make commision.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mattress Firm.

The process was great. I spoke with a recruiter at a job fair and they set up meeting with a District manager. After that I interviewed with someone from upper management and then the job was offered. They were very upfront about the job, gave me the pros and the cons and I knew what the expectations were.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of questions but none that were unexpected.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, the offer is very low because it is a commisoned sales position. I asked, they said that was the offer.

Manager In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mattress Firm.

Phone interview first then in-person interview. There were 2 managers at my interview. It was very laid back and fun!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. Interview wasn't hard at all, they like for you to show your personality and determine if MattFirm is a great fit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mattress Firm in May 2013.

The process started with the online application, and a rather difficult multiple choice test based on only words and numbers. The test gives them information on your personality. From that point I received a call about a week later from a recruiter in Houston and set up a phone interview which only lasted 10-15 min. The questions were general, "Describe yourself in 3 words" "Why do you want to work here" type things. After that I met the District Manager and 2 Area Managers at a local restaurant. They were all very nice, and each took turns asking questions about past employers. I was told they would be making a decision about 7 days later, but District Manager called 2 days later and offered me the position. The overall process took about 2 1/2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were the normal "What did you do in this situation" type of thing, however what through me off was when they wanted 2 answers from some questions. I had an answer ready for everything, but when they asked for 2 I really had to think quick.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Training pay is set hourly, and from there you get a base salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Very easy interview, mostly behavioral questions

There was none

Manager Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Mattress Firm.

Typically there will be a phone interview first, then a one on one interview with a district manager. They are looking for very motivated and positive people.

Manager On Duty Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mattress Firm.

It is a fairly simple process, they ask you about your life experiences. Questions such as explain a situation where you exceeded someones expectations. They also ask you questions that relate towards interpersonal skills.