Mattress Firm

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Spokane, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Mattress Firm in January 2014.

Interview Details – Pleasant experience with little to no pressure. Interviewed with two area representatives.

Wilmington, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mattress Firm in January 2013.

Interview Details – Rather involved. 2 online tests, a phone interview, and a live interview.

Interview Question – If you had an elephant, what would you do with it?   Answer Question

Manager On Duty

I applied online and interviewed at Mattress Firm.

Interview Details – You start off with a phone interview from Texas then after you will meet the district manager. They will ask about your sales background and working in retail. They will discuss commission, training, and draw pay. The DM is nice and very easy to talk. They will tell you about the potential commission and growth with the company.

Interview Question – The easiest question but hardest thing about the job are the hrs. They will ask if you are flexible to work weekends, holidays and late hours.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mattress Firm.

Interview Details – Applied on line
They will call you if match is found

Interview Question – Tell me aobut a time you did not agree with your boss and what did you do?

What is your 3 greatest achievements. Which is the most important and why?

All will be behavioral questions, you would think you were trying to work for IBM or some prestigous company.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Everyone makes the same low base and you have to pay it back before you make commision.

Eagan, MN

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Mattress Firm in August 2012.

Interview Details – I heard about the job at a Job Fair I attended. Before the fair I knew nothing about Mattress Firm but after talking with the employee's at the fair I thought I'd give them my resume and see where it went.

They called me the following day and asked if I wanted to set up and interview, I told them I did and it was set for the following week at their warehouse. I arrived for the interview a couple of minutes early and I was told to take a seat and as they were finishing up with another interviewee. After about 10 minutes he left and another 5 minutes later they called me in.

The interview itself was pretty relaxed they did ask a lot of questions, some of which were difficults one along the lines of "What's the worst thing you've ever done?" and "If you could change one thing about your past..." Afterwards I felt pretty good about the interview as the interviewers seemed to be very happy to be in their positions and talked a lot about how great the work culture of the company was.

A few days later I received a call from one of my interviewers and told I was being offered a position and that I would receive an e-mail from their human resources department with the details. I accepted the offer and I still work for Matttress Firm today.

Interview Question – "What's the worst thing you've ever done?" was a tough question to answer. On the one hand I didn't want to give a fluff answer that wouldn't be believable but it was hard to answer that question honestly on the fly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, the compensation package is the same for all entry-level Mattress Firm managers.

Manager On Duty Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mattress Firm.

Interview Details – It is a fairly simple process, they ask you about your life experiences. Questions such as explain a situation where you exceeded someones expectations. They also ask you questions that relate towards interpersonal skills.

Interview Question – Did not have any that I felt I could not answer.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Mattress Firm in June 2012.

Interview Details – I had one interview. The district manager who interviewed me had the ability to make me feel comfortable like we were just having a friendly conversation. He asked about my experience of course & we went through lots of role play (which I love!). Upon completion of the interview I felt right at home. I still feel that way after being hired. Best company I've ever worked for!

Interview Question – There were none. I felt completely at ease.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would advise anyone who wants to work for a company that treats you like you matter & constantly shows gratitude for a job well done & where you can earn tons of money to apply with Mattress Firm.

Sarasota, FL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mattress Firm in February 2011.

Interview Details – Pathetic. DM never showed for my interview so the Store manager had to cover for him and ask all the questions. If you try to interview around any major Retail Holidays, you won't hear back for WEEKS. I drove 2 hours to meet my DM for an interview and the interview itself was only 15 minutes long.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you overcame blah blah blah blah blah...   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing. Pay is standard. There are no incentives. No company cars, cell phones, or anything. District Managers are nothing but glorified sales people and only hand out cookie cutter job offers or decline you.

Greensboro, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Mattress Firm in May 2011.

Interview Details – First there is a phone interview with someone from Houston where the company is based, where they ask you 'What are 3 things that you look for in your ideal company?' and a few other questions, to get a feel for you. Then there was a group interview on one of the locations, mine was in Greensboro, with a few of the managers. It was very relaxed and laid back, they didtnt put a great deal of pressure.The interview took about an hour, they probe quite a bit, I would advise you to have your act together and really have a good idea of where you are going in life, I feel like that was the main thing. And also be able to describe your past work experiences and how they will directly relate to the Mattress Firm sales rep (manager on duty) position you are interviewing for. You've got to really be able to get into detail with them, get to know them and the job. Not too many difficult "interrogating" questions luckily, thats not really their style.

Interview Questions

• Tell a time when an organization you were a part of implemented a change and how to dealt with that change.   Answer Question
  • What is one negative thing your past manager would say about you?   Answer Question
  • What have you been doing over the past several months to prepare for an upcoming career?   Answer Question

Orlando, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Mattress Firm in February 2009.

Interview Details – Overall, I've had a very positive experience with this company. I was referred from a current employee and that definitely streamlined the entire hiring process. I only had one interview with the district manager and was hired on the spot pending drug test and background checks. There is a very thorough training process and the company invests a lot in each of it's employees. Enthusiasm, customer service, and integrity are valued by this company. If anybody is interested in the bedding industry, this is the company to work for.

Interview Question – Being that you've never been involved in sales before, how do you create value in a service or product?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Mattress Firm

Worked for Mattress Firm? Contribute to the Community!

Mattress Firm Videos

Mattress Firm – Why Work for Us?

Back in 1986 when we entered into the business world, our founders had big dreams too. Through hard work and dedication to getting the job done, that dream was realized. Today, Mattress Firm has grown from one store in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mattress Firm Manager On Duty interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Mattress Firm employees and interview candidates.