Maurices

Profile Unclaimed

Maurices First Assistant Manager Interview Questions

2.5

First Assistant Manager Interview

VERY unprofessional, rude, not appreciative at all. The interview environment was loud, messy, and very unorganized. The manager left the interview several times to take phone calls and do other things that seemed more personal than work related. Overall this was the worst interview of my career. It deterred me from even considering the position.

Other Interview Reviews for Maurices

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Maurices in September 2013.

Phone interview with the store manager that lasted for an hour. She gave a brief history of her background and the culture of the company and dove into asking about me. There were plenty of situational questions pertaining to customer service or motivating staff of which I gave examples from my current position. It was very conversational and flowed nicely.

Interview Questions
    • What's one thing your spouse would say you're not very good at   Answer Question

Unfortunately the offer was just not enough for me to relocate to another state but it's been a month and I still wish things had worked out. The culture of the company seems fresh and inspired and I would have accepted if my situation was different.

They did negotiate but it still wasn't enough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Maurices in January 2012.

Online application with personality profile. Manager contacts applicants based on results of profile and availability. Depending on position hiring, District manager to 1st assistant manager could interview. References are checked. All paperwork is done online or signed during first day of orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when your supervisor was not doing their part and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    There wasn't one. She called to offer me the position, told me what I would be making, and asked if that was ok. Then, I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR
    Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Maurices in August 2011.

I applied online and a week later I got a call to come in for an interview. The first interview took about an hour. A lot of expected questions, such as give me a scenario of when a customer was upset, what did you do you remedy the situation? They also wanted to know if I traveled a lot, could sell their credit card, and if I was fashionable. The girl made it seem like they were REALLY into having all of the employees wearing "in fashion" clothing, which I totally understand. However she also said sometimes she could "only afford a new piece of clothing once or twice a month" and that sometimes that would have to do. I'm not buying a whole new wardrobe full of Maurice's clothing on a season to season basis. I have fashionable clothing that consists of other brands besides Maurices, and do not plan on making this my life long career. The discount is generous, but not THAT generous!

The interview to me was a walk in the park. Most retail interviews are the same. General "what would you do or have you done" questions. They want to see how you would deal in different situations, from an upset customer to having do deal with a last minute floor set. Expierience is also key in this position. The ideal candidate should be able to train and coach other associates (coaching is very big here from the sounds of it, which is good!)

I was quickly called back for a second interview with a different manager. Same of the basics, a little more detailed and a lot of repeating from the first interview into the second it seemed to me. Again, credit card sales seem to be a HUGE deal here, not something that I am really into. If I wanted that kind of pressure I better be making commission.

My advice to candidates you want this position is that they want serious sellers and fashionistas only. Not someone who can sometimes sell, but always willing to sell and make that extra buck. They definitely want "pushy" sales people. The females I interview with both made it very clear to me that there would be high standards of pushing the company credit card, which put me off quite a bit. We are in a down economy still, and you want me to push a credit card?

Interview Questions
    • What is the most frustrating thing for you working in retail?   View Answer

After looking at Glass Door reviews for the company, it seemed that the company was going to be too much of a stressful workplace for me. I do not like people breathing down my neck for credit card applications. If someone says "twice" I'm not going to beg them to get it so you can have a hold of them forever.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iron Mountain, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iron Mountain, MI

I applied online – interviewed at Maurices in May 2011.

The interview process was easy, i applied online and was called within a day or two to take the success profile. I was interview by the district sales manager. She asked a lot of behavioral interview questions. The first interview was followed by a second phone interview were i was offered the position. The job was a management training position and i was told i would be relocated to run a store of my own.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of specific retail questions and they can be hard to answer if you don't have much of a retail background. If you don't have much of a retail background try to answer with examples from a school situation where you had to work in a group.   Answer Question

First Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Maurices in April 2009.

I interviewed with the manager of a specific store, she was seeking a full-time first assistant manager. There was no talk about salary, but, I was told every position in store is hourly. It's varied shift. The benefits are amazing. I took a 100 question personality quiz.

My interviewer was very friendly and was interested to know what I looked forward to the most as far as working with the company. We discussed only customer service jobs and history. She says I will get a phone interview later this week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sierra Vista, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Maurices in March 2008.

When an interview was finally set up, it went well. However I did not get the position I had to take a part time sales position, even though I had 7 years of management under my belt, and the management staff that was hired, barely had any experience.

had to accept part time

First Assistant Manager Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Maurices in June 2011.

My initial interview was over an hour on the phone. They asked me about my retail experience, my personal fashion preferences and why I feel I would be a good candidate for the job. They wanted to have a second interview and it took 3 weeks to hear back. Because I lived out of town from the interviewing Manager they were okay with the second interview being over the phone. The second interview consisted of basic interv iew questions, what I would do about a disgruntled customer, describe my personality, what I learned most in my past jobs. It took two more weeks for the decision process.

First Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Maurices in September 2010.

I applied in person at my local Maurices. I filled out the personality test that day and came in two days later for a one on one interview with the store manager. I had a conference call with the district manager and the store manager about a week later. Before the conference call I did some research on Maurices and inquired about the men's clothing line (now obsolete), children's line, and the plus size line. I would recommend anyone applying for a managerial position to do their due diligence before their interviews.

Interview Questions
    I initially applied for the 1st Assitant Manager position yet they were offering only a part time position at the time. I interviewed with the store manager and told her i would not be interested in working for Maurice's unless it was full time because of the benefits package. She had an employee who had applied for the full time 1st assitant manager position and was considering promoting from within. After I had my interview with the district manager, I was offered the full time position. I did not put down a salary request, instead I said negotiable. My previously salary was well above what I knew Maurices would be able to pay and I let them know I was open to offers. The offer came in well above the standard starting rate for an assistant manager.

First Assistant Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Maurices in January 2010.

1st Interview was with the Store Manager. Then I was called back in for a 2nd interview with the two key holders. They called and spoke to all of my former employers and references. After this process was done I received a phone call to discuss my rate of pay. I started the week after.