Maurices

Updated Nov 30, 2014
Updated Nov 30, 2014

2.7

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Maurices.

I applied online and got a call to schedule an interview a few days later. I got there about 5 minutes before my interview was scheduled, but the interview didn't start until 15 minutes after my scheduled time because the interviewer was taking her lunch break. The actual interview was fairly easy and short. The interviewer asked me questions off the top of her head and another interviewer joined in shortly after we had already started. They explained the sales goals and the process of how if you don't really meet your goals then they can lower your hours (allowed to only give you 2 hrs over a 2 week period).

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Maurices in October 2014.

Put in my application, and about a month later was contacted about an interview. The first interview was great, and took about 45 minutes. I was asked to sell a random item to the manager, and that was the most difficult thing to do. After that, she asked me to come for a second interview. This time, I interviewed with the assistant manager. She was great, and asked about the same questions as I was asked by the first manager. They then checked my references, and offered me the job the next day.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest thing was selling a random item to the manager. I think it would have been better if I could have sold an outfit to her or something like that.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Maurices.

I submitted my application online. I got a call back just a few days later asking if I wanted to come in for an interview in a few days. I accepted. I went in to the interview and they said my interview wasn't for another 30 mins (they had given me a different time over the phone) I said I'd wait. The employee said to look around. Within 5 minutes the HR came out and we went into the back room to interview. It was very laid back and comfortable and she was super friendly. She asked me basic interview questions with a couple quirky ones about fashion and my style. It was surprisingly very short and that made me nervous but I felt pretty confident. She said she'd be making an offer hopefully by the end of the week. She said she'd email all of the candidates. I didn't get an email and I was waiting for the right time to call and follow up and I got an interview saying they were looking for candidates that matched their needs more closely. I just wasn't the one.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Maurices.

I applied online to two locations and 2-3 weeks later a manager called for an in person interview. I went in and she gave me a scenario of a 30 year old woman needing an outfit for her son's birthday in the park. I picked out an outfit with several options in pants/tops and even showed her purses that would go with the outfit. She seemed impressed and took me to interview with her and another manager in the back. This was a long interview. I was there about 1 hour and 30 minutes...for a minimum wage job... I just wanted it to be over.. they asked really odd personal questions. I felt like they wanted to know who I was as a person more than an interview. They were really concerned about how I had no retail experience and I have a background in education. (My thoughts, why did you bother calling me then? It's not a hard job and I have a Degree). They pretty much knew my entire life story by the time I walked out because they would NOT stop asking questions. Some questions were fashion related or sales related and how I would get that customer who is short with me to talk or to try on clothes. It has been 4 days after the interview and I still have not heard from them. I plan to call tomorrow to see what is going on.

Interview Questions
    • These weren't hard questions, but trying to help you on what they asked me:
      Tell me about a horrible boss you had and what made them so horrible.
      How would you multitask in the store if a girl is walking in the door, one is waiting to try on clothes, and 4 girls are at the register.
      Tell me about your favorite trend right now.
      What inspired you to get into fashion or who inspires you.
      How would you feel about meeting a sale goal and what would motivate you to achieve it?

Answer Question

Hired As Sales Associate Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Maurices.

I had two interviews. They were a little rigorous and consisted MOSTLY of questions such as "tell me about a time when......." Come with some scenarios prepared! Also, don't be afraid to ask for a moment to think of one if the questions throws you off guard. I had to do this severL times but they were very understanding. Also...come dressed trendy! Don't wear professional clothes. They are looking for someone who is aware of the latest trends in fashion and makeup, if you wear makeup. Layer up and wear accessories.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you weren't getting along with your coworkers"   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Maurices.

Was asked to dress as I thought "was expected of me". Came in business casual, but apparently it wasn't the right way to go (I didn't look "hip" enough I guess) I prepared for real retail interview questions, but all questions will be about fashion. Also, VERY VERY UNPROFESSIONAL, mid interview an employee informed interviewer / store manager about someone dropping off resume, the interviewers response was, "oh... is she cute?"

Interview Questions
    • what is your favorite maurices fashion product and how do you feel about it....?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belton, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belton, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Maurices in September 2014.

It took me about 3 weeks to land my job at Maurice's. I applied and then a few days later I went in and asked to speak to the hiring manager about my application. She actually left her meeting to speak with me! She asked me where I was currently working and why I wanted to change jobs and asked about my availability and then she set up an interview with me the next week.
    My interview went really well. It was with the hiring manager again. We went over my availability, how many hours I wanted, and talked about my current job. She asked me to describe my style which kind of caught me off guard and then she told me she had some other interviews to do and if they were interested in hiring me I would get a call the next week. She also sent me an email I had to respond to asking for references.
    She contacted all of my references and called me for another interview exactly a week later. At my next interview I met with another sales associate who asked me a few questions just to get to know me and then asked me to go on the floor and pick out an outfit, which went great. Two days later I got a call offering me the job!

Interview Questions
    • How would your coworkers describe you?   View Answer
    I was looking for a 30 hour a week job. She offered to train me for management if I liked working with them to get more hours. I'm also starting at $8 an hour, which is more than my current job but I'm only starting with 10-15 hours a week. She said they could work around my schedule at my current job since I need the hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crystal City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crystal City, MO

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Maurices in September 2014.

The first interview is mainly sitting in an office and answering questions. You'll go through a few scenarios and the interviewer will ask how you would handle that scenario. The second interview is demonstrating that you have the skills required for the position you are applying for. You'll walk around the store and the manager will pretend to be a customer that is shopping for an event. You will have to walk around the store and pick out a full outfit including jewelry, shoes, handbags, and other accessories.

Interview Questions
    • What is one way you can make sure that you are staying informed on the latest fashion trends?   View Answer
    • How would you deal with a situation such as ________?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Maurice's?   Answer Question
    • How many hours a week can you work and what times would you be available?   Answer Question

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Maurices.

Their interview process was pretty typical:
    -Initial phone call with a few questions like how many hours you are looking for and one or two simple behavior questions then setting up an interview time if they are still interested.
    -Come in for an interview the girls out front are told to get a feel for you & will talk to you a bit before the interview
    -Your interview will either be with the Store Manager or her First Assistant these are basic interview questions, where do you see yourself in 5 years, what are you goals & then some behavior questions.
    -Personality test, I don't recall the name of it but it basically gives you a certain number of stars. I didn't get to see my results until I asked after I was hired. They tell you this doesn't effect whether you will be offered a position or not (not completely sure if that's true)

After this interview if you are going for an associate position you will either be offered a position or not. If you are going for a management position you will be asked in for another interview with the Store Manager & the District Manager if he/she is available. This interview gets a little more in depth about your personality and basically whether you will fit with their crew.

-A lot of behavioral questions, almost pushing you to the limit where they are waiting for you to explain a time when you did something you knew whats the right decision then explain why and what you would do differently now.
    -Then wait for a call back :)

Interview Questions
    • Have you handled a difficult situation with a supervisor? How?   Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Maurices.

I submitted by application through their website, and was called in for an interview about a week and a half later. When she called she made sure to tell me to dress to impress. Layers layers layers! When I got there she told me it was a group interview, and there were two other girls. We went to the back and started the interview. We were asked several questions about ourselves, our availability, what great customer service is, and questions about our character. Later we were asked to go to the sales floor and pick out an outfit for a customer going on a date to a dinner and movie. We were given 15 minutes and then had to try to sell the outfit to the customer. After, she explained a little about the position and the company. When we were done she told us that she would be going over our interviews and be contacting us within the next week if she was interested in one of us and if we didn't receive a call, no job. I received a call a week later to go in for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Do you believe it is ever ok to break the rules?
      What stores do you shop at?
      Great customer service?