Maurices Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I interviewed online - interviewed at Maurices.

Their interview process was pretty typical:
    -Initial phone call with a few questions like how many hours you are looking for and one or two simple behavior questions then setting up an interview time if they are still interested.
    -Come in for an interview the girls out front are told to get a feel for you & will talk to you a bit before the interview
    -Your interview will either be with the Store Manager or her First Assistant these are basic interview questions, where do you see yourself in 5 years, what are you goals & then some behavior questions.
    -Personality test, I don't recall the name of it but it basically gives you a certain number of stars. I didn't get to see my results until I asked after I was hired. They tell you this doesn't effect whether you will be offered a position or not (not completely sure if that's true)

After this interview if you are going for an associate position you will either be offered a position or not. If you are going for a management position you will be asked in for another interview with the Store Manager & the District Manager if he/she is available. This interview gets a little more in depth about your personality and basically whether you will fit with their crew.

-A lot of behavioral questions, almost pushing you to the limit where they are waiting for you to explain a time when you did something you knew whats the right decision then explain why and what you would do differently now.
    -Then wait for a call back :)

Interview Questions
    • Have you handled a difficult situation with a supervisor? How?   Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Maurices.

I submitted by application through their website, and was called in for an interview about a week and a half later. When she called she made sure to tell me to dress to impress. Layers layers layers! When I got there she told me it was a group interview, and there were two other girls. We went to the back and started the interview. We were asked several questions about ourselves, our availability, what great customer service is, and questions about our character. Later we were asked to go to the sales floor and pick out an outfit for a customer going on a date to a dinner and movie. We were given 15 minutes and then had to try to sell the outfit to the customer. After, she explained a little about the position and the company. When we were done she told us that she would be going over our interviews and be contacting us within the next week if she was interested in one of us and if we didn't receive a call, no job. I received a call a week later to go in for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Do you believe it is ever ok to break the rules?
      What stores do you shop at?
      Great customer service?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albertville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albertville, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Maurices in August 2014.

I applied online, a day or two later the store manager called and left me a message asking if I wanted to set up an interview. I called back and an associate set me up for an interview date that was about 4 days later. I went in for the interview about 10 minutes early and I talked to the associate at the cashier desk and she told me to look around while she noticed the first assistant I was there. Later the first assistant approached me and introduced herself and we say outside on a bench for the interview--the back room was too crowded. Basic questions about me and my available hours, hardest (not even hard) question was : how are you going to balance school and work? She was super nice and the interview was pretty much a conversation about volunteering and helping people and how maurices has given her so many career and learning opportunities. Immediately after the interview she took me inside and she set me up for an interview with the store manager for a week later. The next week I went in, same thing I looked around and waited, the store manager approached me and she introduced herself and took me into the back room. I started off with my questions about the business. Some things we discussed were my extracurricular activities, the training at maurices, typical hours, sales goals, and she asked me about what I'm doing after highschool so she could make sure I'd be a long term employee. The interview was done and she said she was hoping to make a decision by Monday, and she would call my references. I honestly didn't think the second interview went as well as the first. By that saturday(before Monday) the store manager called and left a message that she still had some questions for me and I should call her back. I did, and she really had no questions but offered me the job-I then asked abut pay and employee reviews and then I accepted the position. She then explained to me the forms she would be sending and what I need to do from there before I go to orientation.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about sales goals?   Answer Question
    • What are your career goals?   View Answer
    • How will you balance high school& activities , college courses, and a job?   Answer Question
    • Other questions were based around my volunteer experience and extracurricular activities, I had no previous job experience.   Answer Question
    I didn't try to negotiate, I just asked the pay and some other questions. I took what I could get since this was my first job.

First Assistant Manager Interview

VERY unprofessional, rude, not appreciative at all. The interview environment was loud, messy, and very unorganized. The manager left the interview several times to take phone calls and do other things that seemed more personal than work related. Overall this was the worst interview of my career. It deterred me from even considering the position.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Waterloo, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IL

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Maurices in April 2014.

interview was about 1.5 and it was done with 2 different store managers at the same time which was somewhat confusing. A lot of emphasis on sales goals and not much on building customer loyalty. This store is geared more towards the 20- 40 age group and I felt that I was not a good fit due to the fact that I am mid fifties.

Interview Questions
    • no real difficult questions. both managers were very green. not many years of experience compared to my 14 years of retail management experience. I think my qualifications were a little overwhelming for both of them to be honest.   Answer Question

Accounting Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Duluth, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, MN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Maurices in September 2010.

The interview process was great. I submitted my resume through a maurices associate and was contacted by HR for a phone interview a week later. A few days later I was asked to come in for an interview with HR followed by the hiring manager and the Controller. I was offered a position a few days after the interview.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, but I should have.

Manager In Training Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Maurices in February 2014.

I wore gray slacks, a loose top, and a few layering necklaces. They love accesories, and you should dress like you already work and shop there. After three interviews they offered me $9/hr. The long process is meant to get you emotionally invested, the store manager kept complimenting me over and over, but couldnt raise the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty common- why maurices, greatest strengths and weaknesses, tell me about a time you set and acheived a goal.   View Answer

Offer was too low.

Sales Associate Interview

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Maurices in July 2014.

It was a very basic interview. We went into the back and she asked me standard interview questions. She asked me about myself, my education, and wanted to see how well I worked with others.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Maurices.

Interview process was not bad. At first, I found my manager very genuine and sweet. (I later found out otherwise.) She interviewed me and said she would call me back. A week or two went by and she never called so I called her. She told me that she would get back with me and once again did not. After two months I called again and she very nonchalantly said, "Oh yeah. You got the job. I meant to call you last week." Are you serious? Hiring process however was extremely difficult. The managers did not even understand how to operate the "hiring system" I guess. We had to call for help several times. I had to watch HOURS of film on how to sale, etc. They also stress signing customers up for cards which at first was very hard to handle for a new employee.

Interview Questions
    HORRIBLE. I was lied to by my own store manager. I was told during the interview that everyone started out at minimum wage ($7.25) and the company would increase your pay based on sales. After six months of working there, I mentioned minimum wage to another employee and she laughed at me! She then informed me that she and two other girls started out at $8.00. I am so infuriated.

Part Time Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Northglenn, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Northglenn, CO

I interviewed online - interviewed at Maurices in May 2014.

A manager called me to do a pre-screening phone interview. Very simple and basic questions about previous retail experience and what I think of my personal style. I was asked to come in for a group interview later in the week. Again, very basic questions. I found it difficult to get across my opinions and experience without cutting off other people interviewing. Very awkward since they didn't actually direct questions at at individuals.

Interview Questions

Worked for Maurices? Contribute to the Community!