Maurices Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.7

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Maurices.

Interview

I had an interview with Store manager and Assistant Manager first, then a second interview with the Store Manager and District Manager. It took awhile to go through the interview process because the DM was traveling one week and on vacation another week so there was about 2 weeks between the first and second interview, but I assume it usually doesn't take that long. It was down to me and one other person but they chose the other person and brought me on as a sales associate and am already being promoted to part time Assistant Manager after being there for one week.

Store Manager Interview

Interview

Internal Hire; Actively work on training as a management member interviewed with District Store Manager and Regional Store Manager. Must complete a screening process and behavioral interview style but relatively simple. Must have lots of examples and the ability to go in depth about the situations. Revealing thought processes, personality and style. The interview feels more like a conversation rather than a Q&A.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time recently that you had to deal with a tough conversation. What was that conversation and how did the other person respond?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Maurices.

Interview

I applied in the store before they switched to online applications. When I dropped off my application, I was asked to take the personality test. It was a standard personality test, but they take it more seriously than they probably should. I didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks and then received a call to come in for an interview. It was a group interview with two other girls. The manager asked us all the same question and then we took turns answering. This interview was mainly questions on how we handled different issues in the past. The interview went relatively well and I didn't hear anything again for a few more weeks. I was then asked to come back in for another interview. I met with the manager and she asked me what I would do in different scenarios. I was also asked about my style. Make sure to dress the style of the store and dress in 3 pieces (top, cardigan, scarf, etc.). Dressing in 3's is extremely important to the company. After the interview, I didn't hear anything again for about a month. It was a ridiculously long wait. I finally received the call 2 1/2 months into the process for a 10 hour a week position.

Interview Questions

• If you had a customer who came in and said she wanted to look for denim, what would you do?   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Maurices.

Interview

The interview was very short and lively.. there is a 50 word minimum so I have chosen to just write words a few times until I meet this minimum. I think I have ten more words to go.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Casher Interview

Interview

This will be my first job and I have had one open interview at Perkins but I did not get it and I am looking for a job as soon as possible

Interview Questions

• Why do employees have to respect others   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Maurices.

Interview

I applied online and got a call to schedule an interview a few days later. I got there about 5 minutes before my interview was scheduled, but the interview didn't start until 15 minutes after my scheduled time because the interviewer was taking her lunch break. The actual interview was fairly easy and short. The interviewer asked me questions off the top of her head and another interviewer joined in shortly after we had already started. They explained the sales goals and the process of how if you don't really meet your goals then they can lower your hours (allowed to only give you 2 hrs over a 2 week period).

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Maurices in October 2014.

Interview

Put in my application, and about a month later was contacted about an interview. The first interview was great, and took about 45 minutes. I was asked to sell a random item to the manager, and that was the most difficult thing to do. After that, she asked me to come for a second interview. This time, I interviewed with the assistant manager. She was great, and asked about the same questions as I was asked by the first manager. They then checked my references, and offered me the job the next day.

Interview Questions

• The hardest thing was selling a random item to the manager. I think it would have been better if I could have sold an outfit to her or something like that.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Maurices.

Interview

I submitted my application online. I got a call back just a few days later asking if I wanted to come in for an interview in a few days. I accepted. I went in to the interview and they said my interview wasn't for another 30 mins (they had given me a different time over the phone) I said I'd wait. The employee said to look around. Within 5 minutes the HR came out and we went into the back room to interview. It was very laid back and comfortable and she was super friendly. She asked me basic interview questions with a couple quirky ones about fashion and my style. It was surprisingly very short and that made me nervous but I felt pretty confident. She said she'd be making an offer hopefully by the end of the week. She said she'd email all of the candidates. I didn't get an email and I was waiting for the right time to call and follow up and I got an interview saying they were looking for candidates that matched their needs more closely. I just wasn't the one.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply at Maurices?   1 Answer
    • What other stores have you applied to?   1 Answer
    • Out of the clubs you were involved in high school, which one was your favorite and why?   Answer Question
    • What influences your personal style?   Answer Question
    • What is a staple of clothing in your closet?   Answer Question
    • Where did you get the items in your wardrobe today?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Maurices.

Interview

I applied online to two locations and 2-3 weeks later a manager called for an in person interview. I went in and she gave me a scenario of a 30 year old woman needing an outfit for her son's birthday in the park. I picked out an outfit with several options in pants/tops and even showed her purses that would go with the outfit. She seemed impressed and took me to interview with her and another manager in the back. This was a long interview. I was there about 1 hour and 30 minutes...for a minimum wage job... I just wanted it to be over.. they asked really odd personal questions. I felt like they wanted to know who I was as a person more than an interview. They were really concerned about how I had no retail experience and I have a background in education. (My thoughts, why did you bother calling me then? It's not a hard job and I have a Degree). They pretty much knew my entire life story by the time I walked out because they would NOT stop asking questions. Some questions were fashion related or sales related and how I would get that customer who is short with me to talk or to try on clothes. It has been 4 days after the interview and I still have not heard from them. I plan to call tomorrow to see what is going on.

Interview Questions

• These weren't hard questions, but trying to help you on what they asked me:
      Tell me about a horrible boss you had and what made them so horrible.
      How would you multitask in the store if a girl is walking in the door, one is waiting to try on clothes, and 4 girls are at the register.
      Tell me about your favorite trend right now.
      What inspired you to get into fashion or who inspires you.
      How would you feel about meeting a sale goal and what would motivate you to achieve it?

Answer Question

Hired As Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Maurices.

Interview

I had two interviews. They were a little rigorous and consisted MOSTLY of questions such as "tell me about a time when......." Come with some scenarios prepared! Also, don't be afraid to ask for a moment to think of one if the questions throws you off guard. I had to do this severL times but they were very understanding. Also...come dressed trendy! Don't wear professional clothes. They are looking for someone who is aware of the latest trends in fashion and makeup, if you wear makeup. Layer up and wear accessories.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you weren't getting along with your coworkers"   Answer Question