Maurices

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.7

64 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Maurices in October 2014.

Put in my application, and about a month later was contacted about an interview. The first interview was great, and took about 45 minutes. I was asked to sell a random item to the manager, and that was the most difficult thing to do. After that, she asked me to come for a second interview. This time, I interviewed with the assistant manager. She was great, and asked about the same questions as I was asked by the first manager. They then checked my references, and offered me the job the next day.

Interview Questions
  • The hardest thing was selling a random item to the manager. I think it would have been better if I could have sold an outfit to her or something like that.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Maurices

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Maurices.

I submitted my application online. I got a call back just a few days later asking if I wanted to come in for an interview in a few days. I accepted. I went in to the interview and they said my interview wasn't for another 30 mins (they had given me a different time over the phone) I said I'd wait. The employee said to look around. Within 5 minutes the HR came out and we went into the back room to interview. It was very laid back and comfortable and she was super friendly. She asked me basic interview questions with a couple quirky ones about fashion and my style. It was surprisingly very short and that made me nervous but I felt pretty confident. She said she'd be making an offer hopefully by the end of the week. She said she'd email all of the candidates. I didn't get an email and I was waiting for the right time to call and follow up and I got an interview saying they were looking for candidates that matched their needs more closely. I just wasn't the one.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Maurices.

I applied online to two locations and 2-3 weeks later a manager called for an in person interview. I went in and she gave me a scenario of a 30 year old woman needing an outfit for her son's birthday in the park. I picked out an outfit with several options in pants/tops and even showed her purses that would go with the outfit. She seemed impressed and took me to interview with her and another manager in the back. This was a long interview. I was there about 1 hour and 30 minutes...for a minimum wage job... I just wanted it to be over.. they asked really odd personal questions. I felt like they wanted to know who I was as a person more than an interview. They were really concerned about how I had no retail experience and I have a background in education. (My thoughts, why did you bother calling me then? It's not a hard job and I have a Degree). They pretty much knew my entire life story by the time I walked out because they would NOT stop asking questions. Some questions were fashion related or sales related and how I would get that customer who is short with me to talk or to try on clothes. It has been 4 days after the interview and I still have not heard from them. I plan to call tomorrow to see what is going on.

Interview Questions
    • These weren't hard questions, but trying to help you on what they asked me:
      Tell me about a horrible boss you had and what made them so horrible.
      How would you multitask in the store if a girl is walking in the door, one is waiting to try on clothes, and 4 girls are at the register.
      Tell me about your favorite trend right now.
      What inspired you to get into fashion or who inspires you.
      How would you feel about meeting a sale goal and what would motivate you to achieve it?

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Maurices.

Was asked to dress as I thought "was expected of me". Came in business casual, but apparently it wasn't the right way to go (I didn't look "hip" enough I guess) I prepared for real retail interview questions, but all questions will be about fashion. Also, VERY VERY UNPROFESSIONAL, mid interview an employee informed interviewer / store manager about someone dropping off resume, the interviewers response was, "oh... is she cute?"

Interview Questions
    • what is your favorite maurices fashion product and how do you feel about it....?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belton, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belton, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Maurices in September 2014.

It took me about 3 weeks to land my job at Maurice's. I applied and then a few days later I went in and asked to speak to the hiring manager about my application. She actually left her meeting to speak with me! She asked me where I was currently working and why I wanted to change jobs and asked about my availability and then she set up an interview with me the next week.
    My interview went really well. It was with the hiring manager again. We went over my availability, how many hours I wanted, and talked about my current job. She asked me to describe my style which kind of caught me off guard and then she told me she had some other interviews to do and if they were interested in hiring me I would get a call the next week. She also sent me an email I had to respond to asking for references.
    She contacted all of my references and called me for another interview exactly a week later. At my next interview I met with another sales associate who asked me a few questions just to get to know me and then asked me to go on the floor and pick out an outfit, which went great. Two days later I got a call offering me the job!

Interview Questions
    • How would your coworkers describe you?   View Answer
    I was looking for a 30 hour a week job. She offered to train me for management if I liked working with them to get more hours. I'm also starting at $8 an hour, which is more than my current job but I'm only starting with 10-15 hours a week. She said they could work around my schedule at my current job since I need the hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crystal City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crystal City, MO

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Maurices in September 2014.

The first interview is mainly sitting in an office and answering questions. You'll go through a few scenarios and the interviewer will ask how you would handle that scenario. The second interview is demonstrating that you have the skills required for the position you are applying for. You'll walk around the store and the manager will pretend to be a customer that is shopping for an event. You will have to walk around the store and pick out a full outfit including jewelry, shoes, handbags, and other accessories.

Interview Questions
    • What is one way you can make sure that you are staying informed on the latest fashion trends?   View Answer
    • How would you deal with a situation such as ________?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Maurice's?   Answer Question
    • How many hours a week can you work and what times would you be available?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Maurices.

I submitted by application through their website, and was called in for an interview about a week and a half later. When she called she made sure to tell me to dress to impress. Layers layers layers! When I got there she told me it was a group interview, and there were two other girls. We went to the back and started the interview. We were asked several questions about ourselves, our availability, what great customer service is, and questions about our character. Later we were asked to go to the sales floor and pick out an outfit for a customer going on a date to a dinner and movie. We were given 15 minutes and then had to try to sell the outfit to the customer. After, she explained a little about the position and the company. When we were done she told us that she would be going over our interviews and be contacting us within the next week if she was interested in one of us and if we didn't receive a call, no job. I received a call a week later to go in for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Do you believe it is ever ok to break the rules?
      What stores do you shop at?
      Great customer service?

Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albertville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albertville, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Maurices in August 2014.

I applied online, a day or two later the store manager called and left me a message asking if I wanted to set up an interview. I called back and an associate set me up for an interview date that was about 4 days later. I went in for the interview about 10 minutes early and I talked to the associate at the cashier desk and she told me to look around while she noticed the first assistant I was there. Later the first assistant approached me and introduced herself and we say outside on a bench for the interview--the back room was too crowded. Basic questions about me and my available hours, hardest (not even hard) question was : how are you going to balance school and work? She was super nice and the interview was pretty much a conversation about volunteering and helping people and how maurices has given her so many career and learning opportunities. Immediately after the interview she took me inside and she set me up for an interview with the store manager for a week later. The next week I went in, same thing I looked around and waited, the store manager approached me and she introduced herself and took me into the back room. I started off with my questions about the business. Some things we discussed were my extracurricular activities, the training at maurices, typical hours, sales goals, and she asked me about what I'm doing after highschool so she could make sure I'd be a long term employee. The interview was done and she said she was hoping to make a decision by Monday, and she would call my references. I honestly didn't think the second interview went as well as the first. By that saturday(before Monday) the store manager called and left a message that she still had some questions for me and I should call her back. I did, and she really had no questions but offered me the job-I then asked abut pay and employee reviews and then I accepted the position. She then explained to me the forms she would be sending and what I need to do from there before I go to orientation.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about sales goals?   Answer Question
    • What are your career goals?   View Answer
    • How will you balance high school& activities , college courses, and a job?   Answer Question
    • Other questions were based around my volunteer experience and extracurricular activities, I had no previous job experience.   Answer Question
    I didn't try to negotiate, I just asked the pay and some other questions. I took what I could get since this was my first job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Maurices.

Interview process was not bad. At first, I found my manager very genuine and sweet. (I later found out otherwise.) She interviewed me and said she would call me back. A week or two went by and she never called so I called her. She told me that she would get back with me and once again did not. After two months I called again and she very nonchalantly said, "Oh yeah. You got the job. I meant to call you last week." Are you serious? Hiring process however was extremely difficult. The managers did not even understand how to operate the "hiring system" I guess. We had to call for help several times. I had to watch HOURS of film on how to sale, etc. They also stress signing customers up for cards which at first was very hard to handle for a new employee.

Interview Questions
    HORRIBLE. I was lied to by my own store manager. I was told during the interview that everyone started out at minimum wage ($7.25) and the company would increase your pay based on sales. After six months of working there, I mentioned minimum wage to another employee and she laughed at me! She then informed me that she and two other girls started out at $8.00. I am so infuriated.

Sales Associate Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Maurices in July 2014.

It was a very basic interview. We went into the back and she asked me standard interview questions. She asked me about myself, my education, and wanted to see how well I worked with others.