Maurices Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.7

57 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Maurices.

I applied online to two locations and 2-3 weeks later a manager called for an in person interview. I went in and she gave me a scenario of a 30 year old woman needing an outfit for her son's birthday in the park. I picked out an outfit with several options in pants/tops and even showed her purses that would go with the outfit. She seemed impressed and took me to interview with her and another manager in the back. This was a long interview. I was there about 1 hour and 30 minutes...for a minimum wage job... I just wanted it to be over.. they asked really odd personal questions. I felt like they wanted to know who I was as a person more than an interview. They were really concerned about how I had no retail experience and I have a background in education. (My thoughts, why did you bother calling me then? It's not a hard job and I have a Degree). They pretty much knew my entire life story by the time I walked out because they would NOT stop asking questions. Some questions were fashion related or sales related and how I would get that customer who is short with me to talk or to try on clothes. It has been 4 days after the interview and I still have not heard from them. I plan to call tomorrow to see what is going on.

Interview Questions
  • These weren't hard questions, but trying to help you on what they asked me:
    Tell me about a horrible boss you had and what made them so horrible.
    How would you multitask in the store if a girl is walking in the door, one is waiting to try on clothes, and 4 girls are at the register.
    Tell me about your favorite trend right now.
    What inspired you to get into fashion or who inspires you.
    How would you feel about meeting a sale goal and what would motivate you to achieve it?
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Maurices

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Maurices.

Was asked to dress as I thought "was expected of me". Came in business casual, but apparently it wasn't the right way to go (I didn't look "hip" enough I guess) I prepared for real retail interview questions, but all questions will be about fashion. Also, VERY VERY UNPROFESSIONAL, mid interview an employee informed interviewer / store manager about someone dropping off resume, the interviewers response was, "oh... is she cute?"

Interview Questions
    • what is your favorite maurices fashion product and how do you feel about it....?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Maurices.

I submitted by application through their website, and was called in for an interview about a week and a half later. When she called she made sure to tell me to dress to impress. Layers layers layers! When I got there she told me it was a group interview, and there were two other girls. We went to the back and started the interview. We were asked several questions about ourselves, our availability, what great customer service is, and questions about our character. Later we were asked to go to the sales floor and pick out an outfit for a customer going on a date to a dinner and movie. We were given 15 minutes and then had to try to sell the outfit to the customer. After, she explained a little about the position and the company. When we were done she told us that she would be going over our interviews and be contacting us within the next week if she was interested in one of us and if we didn't receive a call, no job. I received a call a week later to go in for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Do you believe it is ever ok to break the rules?
      What stores do you shop at?
      Great customer service?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albertville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albertville, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Maurices in August 2014.

I applied online, a day or two later the store manager called and left me a message asking if I wanted to set up an interview. I called back and an associate set me up for an interview date that was about 4 days later. I went in for the interview about 10 minutes early and I talked to the associate at the cashier desk and she told me to look around while she noticed the first assistant I was there. Later the first assistant approached me and introduced herself and we say outside on a bench for the interview--the back room was too crowded. Basic questions about me and my available hours, hardest (not even hard) question was : how are you going to balance school and work? She was super nice and the interview was pretty much a conversation about volunteering and helping people and how maurices has given her so many career and learning opportunities. Immediately after the interview she took me inside and she set me up for an interview with the store manager for a week later. The next week I went in, same thing I looked around and waited, the store manager approached me and she introduced herself and took me into the back room. I started off with my questions about the business. Some things we discussed were my extracurricular activities, the training at maurices, typical hours, sales goals, and she asked me about what I'm doing after highschool so she could make sure I'd be a long term employee. The interview was done and she said she was hoping to make a decision by Monday, and she would call my references. I honestly didn't think the second interview went as well as the first. By that saturday(before Monday) the store manager called and left a message that she still had some questions for me and I should call her back. I did, and she really had no questions but offered me the job-I then asked abut pay and employee reviews and then I accepted the position. She then explained to me the forms she would be sending and what I need to do from there before I go to orientation.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about sales goals?   Answer Question
    • What are your career goals?   View Answer
    • How will you balance high school& activities , college courses, and a job?   Answer Question
    • Other questions were based around my volunteer experience and extracurricular activities, I had no previous job experience.   Answer Question
    I didn't try to negotiate, I just asked the pay and some other questions. I took what I could get since this was my first job.

Sales Associate Interview

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Maurices in July 2014.

It was a very basic interview. We went into the back and she asked me standard interview questions. She asked me about myself, my education, and wanted to see how well I worked with others.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Maurices.

Interview process was not bad. At first, I found my manager very genuine and sweet. (I later found out otherwise.) She interviewed me and said she would call me back. A week or two went by and she never called so I called her. She told me that she would get back with me and once again did not. After two months I called again and she very nonchalantly said, "Oh yeah. You got the job. I meant to call you last week." Are you serious? Hiring process however was extremely difficult. The managers did not even understand how to operate the "hiring system" I guess. We had to call for help several times. I had to watch HOURS of film on how to sale, etc. They also stress signing customers up for cards which at first was very hard to handle for a new employee.

Interview Questions
    HORRIBLE. I was lied to by my own store manager. I was told during the interview that everyone started out at minimum wage ($7.25) and the company would increase your pay based on sales. After six months of working there, I mentioned minimum wage to another employee and she laughed at me! She then informed me that she and two other girls started out at $8.00. I am so infuriated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edmond, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmond, OK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Maurices in June 2014.

I applied online, and called two days later to make sure they got the application. ALWAYS call, because I ended up forgetting a part on the application and they had to email me the rest of the process. If I wouldn't have called, I wouldn't have known to finish my application. I got a call a few days later to come in for a group interview. VERY easy. There was only one other girl, but she was sort of rude, although she has retail expirience and I didn't. They asked questions about what is great customer service, where do I shop, how would I use fashion to help people. Then at the end of the interview the assistant manger said they would be calling one of us to come back for another interview. I got the call the next day to come in for a one on one interview with the store manager. When I got there it turned out that the store manager and a manager in training were both going to interview me. They ask questions like what is my style what could I bring tothe store, what would I be good at selling. Then at the end of the interview they asked me to go put two outfits together for two different occasions. Then I had to "sell" the outfit to the managers. After that they said they would contact my references and let me know by the next week. Three days later I got a call saying they wanted to hire me!

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They started pay at $7.75 and I wasn't going to argue because that is 50cents above minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moscow, ID
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow, ID

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Maurices.

They had a first interview that was normal. One on one with a manager. They asked the typical questions like "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to work here"

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you did it"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gettysburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gettysburg, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Maurices in September 2011.

The interview was relatively standard, but focused on how I would use fashion to make someone feel more confident. You have to fill out a bubble sheet as well, they can't offer you a job unless you pass it, it is somewhat of a personality test. They cared a lot about the outfit I wore to the interview, they love jewelry and lots of layering, and also having a distinctive style.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, was hired quickly. Generally, the store had a very high turnover rate and often needed new employees. Two years after I left, no one I worked with was still working at the store.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ridgeland, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ridgeland, MS

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Maurices in March 2014.

I saw a current listing at Maurice's website stating that they were currently hiring for Sales Associate at the location in my city. I filled out the online application ans went to the store to speak to the store manager regarding the position. A Sales Associate working there told me that they were hiring for the position, but when the store manager arrived she told me that they were not hiring for the position I applied for. Exactly three days later while I was looking for employment via a career website, there was the identical job at Maurice's that I had applied for.

Interview Questions

Worked for Maurices? Contribute to the Community!