Maurices

53 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Maurices in July 2014.

Interview Details – It was a very basic interview. We went into the back and she asked me standard interview questions. She asked me about myself, my education, and wanted to see how well I worked with others.

Interview Question – How you function in a group   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Maurices.

Interview Details – Interview process was not bad. At first, I found my manager very genuine and sweet. (I later found out otherwise.) She interviewed me and said she would call me back. A week or two went by and she never called so I called her. She told me that she would get back with me and once again did not. After two months I called again and she very nonchalantly said, "Oh yeah. You got the job. I meant to call you last week." Are you serious? Hiring process however was extremely difficult. The managers did not even understand how to operate the "hiring system" I guess. We had to call for help several times. I had to watch HOURS of film on how to sale, etc. They also stress signing customers up for cards which at first was very hard to handle for a new employee.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – HORRIBLE. I was lied to by my own store manager. I was told during the interview that everyone started out at minimum wage ($7.25) and the company would increase your pay based on sales. After six months of working there, I mentioned minimum wage to another employee and she laughed at me! She then informed me that she and two other girls started out at $8.00. I am so infuriated.

Edmond, OK

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Maurices in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and called two days later to make sure they got the application. ALWAYS call, because I ended up forgetting a part on the application and they had to email me the rest of the process. If I wouldn't have called, I wouldn't have known to finish my application. I got a call a few days later to come in for a group interview. VERY easy. There was only one other girl, but she was sort of rude, although she has retail expirience and I didn't. They asked questions about what is great customer service, where do I shop, how would I use fashion to help people. Then at the end of the interview the assistant manger said they would be calling one of us to come back for another interview. I got the call the next day to come in for a one on one interview with the store manager. When I got there it turned out that the store manager and a manager in training were both going to interview me. They ask questions like what is my style what could I bring tothe store, what would I be good at selling. Then at the end of the interview they asked me to go put two outfits together for two different occasions. Then I had to "sell" the outfit to the managers. After that they said they would contact my references and let me know by the next week. Three days later I got a call saying they wanted to hire me!

Interview Question – They asked how I would help people through fashion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They started pay at $7.75 and I wasn't going to argue because that is 50cents above minimum wage.

Moscow, ID

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Maurices.

Interview Details – They had a first interview that was normal. One on one with a manager. They asked the typical questions like "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to work here"

Interview Question – "Name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you did it"   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Gettysburg, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Maurices in September 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was relatively standard, but focused on how I would use fashion to make someone feel more confident. You have to fill out a bubble sheet as well, they can't offer you a job unless you pass it, it is somewhat of a personality test. They cared a lot about the outfit I wore to the interview, they love jewelry and lots of layering, and also having a distinctive style.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in fashion?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, was hired quickly. Generally, the store had a very high turnover rate and often needed new employees. Two years after I left, no one I worked with was still working at the store.

Very Difficult Interview

Ridgeland, MS

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Maurices in March 2014.

Interview Details – I saw a current listing at Maurice's website stating that they were currently hiring for Sales Associate at the location in my city. I filled out the online application ans went to the store to speak to the store manager regarding the position. A Sales Associate working there told me that they were hiring for the position, but when the store manager arrived she told me that they were not hiring for the position I applied for. Exactly three days later while I was looking for employment via a career website, there was the identical job at Maurice's that I had applied for.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Maurices in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied for Maurices online and got a call three days later for an interview. The online application was a lot longer than most and included some personality/behavioral questions. Went to my first interview and the questions were pretty difficult. They put you on the spot with questions such as "describe a time when you had a goal and worked towards achieving it" and other questions like that. Having had no previous work experience it was really hard to answer the questions, but I used my school experience to answer them. Not thinking the interview went that well, I was invited to another 1 on 1 interview with a different store employee. The interview was very similar and she asked me some of the same questions. They said they are required to do two interviews and all of their questions are read from a company provided list. I then had to provide three references which they do check and call on. I used coaches and teachers. Once she got a hold of all of my references, I was called in to meet the manager as I hadn't done so yet and after asking a few more questions, I was offered the job. Overall the process may seem overwhelming, but it is worth it in the end. The starting pay is way over minimum wage and for having had no previous experience I felt the wage is very generous. I am excited about the 40 percent discount and it is a very fun place to work.

Interview Question – "What is good customer service?" After you answer they then ask you, "If that is good customer service what is great customer service?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – When offered the job she said associates usually start at $8.50 and asked if that was okay. I didn't bother negotiating as that was way more than minimum wage and what I expected.

Interviewed at Maurices

Interview Details – Behavioral question based

Interview Question – Tell about a time you have to break a policy   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Maurices in February 2014.

Interview Details – I got a call on a Sunday and set up an interview for Monday. When I went to my interview I was ten minutes early, and had to wait another forty while the managers got everything together. The store was busy at the time, so I looked past it. I was interviewed by two managers at once. It was pretty relaxed and they focused on asking me a lot of questions about my previous job. At the end of the interview they asked for my references and said they'd be in contact with me.

Interview Question – What are three places you'd never shop at, what is your definition of customer service, a lot of questions about previous work experience.   Answer Question

Cedar Park, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Maurices in March 2013.

Interview Details – Brought me to the back room and we had an interview on folding chairs. They claimed to not be competitive internally and then explained their system to me and they have a lot of competition in store.

Interview Question – If I would be okay with selling their credit cards   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I didn't care for what the company stood for

Worked for Maurices? Contribute to the Community!