Mavens Consulting Solutions Architect Interview Questions

Updated Jan 4, 2015
Updated Jan 4, 2015

4.0

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mavens Consulting.

Interview

Well​-thought-out interview process. The first phase was a phone screening, followed by a call to learn about the requirements for a mock Salesforce solution design, and approximately two weeks later, a presentation/design review of said solution. Great way to assess technical aptitude, consulting skills, and culture fit.

I had the opportunity to interact with multiple Mavens employees and they were all very pleasant. It is a small company so you bypass the hassle of talking to a recruiter/HR who knows nothing about the industry; these are all people who work in the trenches. Seems like a great company and an amazing team.

Interview Questions

• How do you think your presentation went? How would you rate your solution?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Mavens Consulting

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Mavens Consulting.

Interview

I began the interview process in September of 2013. It took a total of 5 months from first initiation until my first day at work. It was a hard and challenging process, but is totally worth it because I know that everybody else had to go through the same process.

It takes a special kind of person to become a Maven and it is exciting to know that I am surrounded by people who endured the same process and demonstrated the same set of core values. This is so valuable because each individual Maven brings different skill sets, experiences, and ideas but those attributes are built on similar core foundations.

Because of this philosophy, expect to see extraordinary things come from Mavens Consulting!

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to relocate to Chicago?   1 Answer

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Mavens Consulting (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very thorough phone discussion to kick the interview process off. Everything was laid out, including compensation, expectations and a detailed summary of what the interview process would entail. Following the phone discussion was a SFDC development project, including a final presentation of that project to a group via Go-To-Meeting. The project was challenging and time consuming. Feedback on the project and presentation was candid. Following the project/presentation were three rounds of 1:1 interviews, which included challenging questions and a white board session.

An overall thorough interview process, but honest, well executed and rewarding as a candidate. Mavens does an incredible job of giving honest and timely feedback. They're interested in testing your skills but also getting to know you as a person to see how you will fit within their culture.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Compensation was taken care of up front. I was presented with the compensation package immediately and asked whether or not I would like to continue the interview process based on that package.

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Mavens Consulting (Chicago, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

Mavens has a very unique interview process that I found very refreshing -- although pretty long and time consuming. First and foremost, the interview process is all about fit and culture. That is the #1 criteria that is being evaluated.

As it was laid out to me the evaluation is:
    1. Culture Fit
    2. Consulting Skills (problem solving, communication, presentation, etc.)
    3. Technical Skills

The interview process lasted about 3 months. First there were two phone screens. Next was the Interview Exercise. This exercise requires a candidate to meet with a Mavens consultant to gather requirements, then build a salesforce application, and concludes with presenting a demo of the solution to a group. Finally, the last step was 2-3 hour in person interview with several 1:1 interviews.

Although the process sounds daunting, for me it was very freshing. I did not have direct salesforce experience, but was able to showcase my ability to pick up the technology and present a solution. It truly gives candidates an opportunity to "show" rather than "tell".

Interview Questions

• Building and Demoing the Interview Exercise Application   1 Answer

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mavens Consulting.

Interview

The process took 2 months from the first initial contact until completion.
    The first phase of the interview process was a one to one phone call. This is mainly an informal conversation where you gain an understanding of what Mavens is all about and where you can talk about your motivations for applying, as well as the role itself.

The second phase was an exercise to build a demo based on a given scenario. The expectations for this phase are very clearly explained to you, and the speed at which it is completed is in your hands.
    Once you have confirmed your presentation date, you get to demo to a panel of three people. (mine happened through web conference)
    The presentation is a role play. The panel will test your ability to think on your feet and challenge some of your choices, like data model for example.
    This might sound like an easy exercise but Mavens look for the best people, so you need to bring your A-Game the whole time and know your subject.

The final step should be a face to face with one or more Mavens. This is your chance to ask all the questions you want, Mavens are very open and honest about the company.
    This is the time to really explore whether or not Mavens will be the right place for you and if you will be a good fit too. They usually evaluate your technical skills but also your personality to make sure you will fit in the company culture.

Overall, it was a good experience and feedback is very quick.
    People are very friendly and there is no formal barrier as in most companies. I felt at ease straight away.
    The whole process is very straight forward, just a bit more lengthy than what I was used to. But it's worth it in the end!

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mavens Consulting in March 2014.

Interview

From end to end, the interview process was lengthier and far more detailed that I have ever experienced in my career; it was about a 2.5 month process. First, there is an initial phone call -- if it seems like a mutual fit, there is a second call where a set of requirements are given to build a solution on the Salesforce.com platform. Once you have built the solution, there is a group review of your solution presentation. If that goes well, there is a in-person interview with multiple people within the organization. I think the most unique aspect of the interview process is the solution build -- depending on your Salesforce.com experience this project could take anywhere from 15 hours to two weeks of time, so you must prepared to make a time-investment in the process. Also, you are being reviewed on how you handle requirements and client contact; i.e. the group reviewers are your client, so you are demonstrating critical thinking skills, Salesforce.com knowledge and consulting skills as part of the interview. I personally really think that's a great way to interview because everyone gets to know each other from the perspective of your actual work rather than the theater of who might interview well, but in the actual workplace is not a good fit. As part of the process you learn the Mavens culture which emphasizes quality of work and a collaborative, team environment.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected from other Solution Architect positions is the emphasis on doing rather than talking. Be prepared. If you are interested in working at this amazing company, you must be prepared to demonstrate excellent critical thinking and consulting skills.   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Mavens Consulting.

Interview

The interview process was not typical but in a good way! I started off by chatting with a Mavens associate (mainly learning more about the company), then I asked for the interview exercise. Being new to the SalesForce platform, I found the exercise challenging but it was an excellent way to make sure I like doing this kind of work and gave me the opportunity to learn and practice on the SalesForce platform. In my opinion, this type of interview process is ideal for someone who may not be great at "selling" themselves as in a traditional interview. The interview exercise gives the opportunity to prove what you can do and the informal chats allows the candidate and interviewers to get to know each other better to determine if the cultural fit is right. Chatting with Mavens during the interview process was enjoyable and I was impressed by how devoted they are to the company and its culture.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected questions were during the presentation of the interview exercise where questions were asked that seemed outside of the scope of the 'project'. For example, if you wanted to accomplish XYZ, how would you do that? I was so focused on meeting the requirements that I wasn't prepared to think outside of the box very much. Having a good understanding of the platform would definitely aid in these types of questions.   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mavens Consulting in September 2012.

Interview

The hiring and interview proces for me started way before I considered working at Mavens. I had originally heard about Mavens almost a year before I applied from a fellow Maven. The discussions were more about the company and what they were doing and why it was such a great place to work. Those discussions then slowly redirected into whether I would be interested and how I would fit into the Mavens culture.
    After expressing interest I was contacted by a Mavens recruiter and discussed the interview process and whether I was ready to pursue a career at Mavens, which I was. That was the start to a very intense and intelligent interviewing process which began with the exercise.
    The exercise tests your ability to collect requirements and build a SFSC org that answers the requests of the test company.
    This process was very difficult as there was a lot of room for interpretation and depending on the skill level of the applicant it could be a crash course in Salesforce 101. I thought it was a great way to show some of the responsibilities of a typical Maven on a project and tested many skills, not all directly associated with SFDC configuration.
    After completing the configuration exercise the applicant then needs to present to a team of Mavens acting on behalf of the test company. I found this to be the most difficult part of the interview process as it was challenging to play the role while trying to explain the process and answer questions about the setup while not completely understanding SFDC setup and limitations.
    Once the presentation stage is completed it then becomes more of a familiar interview process of talking with different Mavens to get a better understanding of the company and how they operate. I found this part helpful in understanding more about what will be involved in the daily life of a Maven and how I would fit in.
    Overall I found the interview process to be much more involved then any other I've gone through but I think it shows how serious Mavens is as a company and how they value every employee they bring onboard.

Interview Questions

• I can't think of one specifically that stood out as being difficult or unexpected but I think some of the questions during the exercise took me surprise   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was very straightforward for me. I accepted the offer on the first round as I found it to be very fair and in line with what we had discussed throughout the process.

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mavens Consulting in August 2012.

Interview

I heard about Mavens from a friend of mine who works for the company and he put me in touch with the person tasked with recruiting and also passed along my resume. I was contacted by the recruiter so we could set up a time to talk via phone where we discussed my previous job experience, why I was interested in Mavens, and some other basic interview questions. During the phone call I was informed that not all resumes get phone calls and not all phone calls result in an invitation to partake in the mock project, from which final evaluations are based.

The recruiter explained that the mock project would be difficult but not impossible and that it would require a great deal of time with no guarantee that I would move forward or be offered a position with Mavens. I accepted those terms (really wanted the job) and agreed to participate in the mock project.

The mock project, while definitely not impossible, is extremely difficult for anyone who does not have a solid background in Salesforce. I had completed a number of Salesforce tutorials prior to beginning the project and while confident that I could have eventually created a final product that would have been acceptable, I did not allot the time necessary to do so.

The project is extremely time consuming (I spent 35-40hrs over 2 weeks while working full time, should have allotted double that) and as the success rates for recruits are extremely low (this was laid out in my initial phone interview), I find it hard to fathom that any but the best and most dedicated recruits would pass without first having Salesforce experience.

As a whole the recruiter and the rest of those I cam in contact with were courteous and willing to help. However, I can't understand why I was invited to the office where only one person was present for the project presentation and numerous other people were only listening in via phone while I shared my screen. It was definitely a little off-putting.

Interview Questions

• There were no real difficult questions but I was surprised at the detail to which I was expected to know Salesforce when I had been told that mastery of the program was not a requirement prior to hiring. I was told my weak spot was data modeling, which in turn is difficult to express without knowing the full functionality of the Salesforce site.   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mavens Consulting in June 2012.

Interview

All phone contact with the company was excellent. Very nice, personable interviewer who exhibited a lot of domain knowledge. Email contact was a bit spotty, i.e., emails not coming through when expected.

The process itself was interesting, in that Mavens wants candidates to build out a Salesforce org to demonstrate their business process review capabilities, Salesforce configuration skills and overall competence for consulting environments.

I withdrew as a candidate after realizing the length of time that would be needed to set up the demo org. I continue to have interest in the company, but am unable to devote the necessary time to setting up the demo org at this time.