Max New York Life Insurance

Getting the Interview

34 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Max New York Life Insurance.

Interview Details – The interview process began with a phone call and a scheduling for a meeting. Once at the location you are greeted and given papers to fill out basic information: Name, Date of Birth, Contact info, etc. You are then called into speak to a supervisor who will ask questions about your personal interests and goals. If they deem you appropriate you move on to a company presentation and lastly you answer essay type questions to further organize goals and future plans, expectations of the company, salary and other questions.

Interview Question – Where do you see your self in 10 years?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – There was a specific licensing procedure i did not want to pay for.

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
Melville, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Max New York Life Insurance.

Interview Details – I was recruited online. There are three interviews. The first you take a test (which anyone can pass), the second you are given the whole spiel about how you can make six figures your first year (sure...), and the third you are told how much you owe per month for passing your state-administered insurance test, renting an office space, and joining the union (after year one).

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It is purely commission-based, and you need to pay for your seat (telephone, paper, etc.) and join the union. If I am an independent contractor, why would NYL force me to join their union, which of course entails that I pay more money out of my pocket per month? I'm sure the job can be great for some, but with a 90% turnover rate after 3 years and no guarantee or a paycheck every month, you really have to love selling insurance. I would have loved for them to have told me all this in my first interview, but they are too smart for that. They drag it out in three interviews, and you only hear about the costs at the finale.

Very Difficult Interview

New York Life Agent Interview

Westlake, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Max New York Life Insurance in March 2013.

Interview Details – Lots of testing on line, and reading homework, and reviewing. They give you so much information, but leave out the vital details that will effect your decision making.

Interview Question – How much savings do you have?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – There were many upfront costs, and monthly fees that they didn't disclose until the offer time.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Data Analyst III Interview

Lake Success, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Max New York Life Insurance.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email and later a phone call to come in for an interview. They gave me 2 exams to take; a math test ans a written one. The math test itself was simple it had simple addition, multiplication, division and subtraction problems only thing was they timed you. They gave you 5 min to finish a 90 quest. test. Then they had a written exam. I had to write a recommendation letter for myself as my current boss. I got called in for a second interview but never got a call back again. I wonder if i was over qualified because i have BS in Finance and the required a HS diploma.

Interview Question – The math test was unexpected and you couldn't use a calculator.   Answer Question

Administration Interview

Brea, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Max New York Life Insurance in October 2011.

Interview Details – It is very boring. Very basic questions, takes about 1 hour

Interview Question – what is your weakness?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Max New York Life Insurance in March 2011.

Interview Details – First there was a simple HR interview such asked me about my resume. They made sure that I knew what the job required of me, all in all the HR interview was very simple and just a "screening" process. The second interview I had was with the hiring manager and his manager. They asked me specific questions about my resume, the past experiences that I had and about my schooling. Then they asked me what I thought was my weakest characteristic, a difficult time I had with a group and how I resolved it, and other questions along those lines.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – They offered the position and I accepted it, there was no negotiation.

Sales Agent Interview

Fresno, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Max New York Life Insurance in July 2010.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview. Then an interview with the recruiter. Then an interview with the partner and managing partner.

Interview Question – How can you handle client objections.   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Interview

Philadelphia, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Max New York Life Insurance in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty simple. I spoke to an insurance agent (not a recruiter, I got the interview through a mutual friend) and it was quite brief. He introduced himself to me, explained a little bit about the position and what I would be doing, and asked if I had any questions. After I asked a few of my questions, I was asked to take an assessment test to determine if my personality or what not was what they were looking for. However, they did not and were on the borderline between a 2nd interview and a pass. But being that my interviewer was a fellow alumni from the same high school, and because I had strong connections to my community, he offered a 2nd interview and a take home self assessment.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Prior to the interview, I had already done my research on New York Life. While they are a great company, reading about how the start up in the company was not for me. I've read that hours of cold calling to sell insurance was required. I also read that you were also charged for basic business expenditures, since once you become an agent it is like running your own business. Quotas had to be met and you work largely on commission. After finding this out, I have already decided that the position was not for me, but went to the interview for the experience and because it was set up through the mutual friend. This position wasn't for me, but if someone was willing to put the hard work into it, they might enjoy the challenge.

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Bloomington, MN

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Max New York Life Insurance in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was neither a screening or a get-to-know process. The interviewer was very informative, but was extremely persistent discussing my hours available. It seemed like the interviewer is confident that regardless of the current competency of the candidate, if the candidate is available to devote ample hours for the job, the company will train the new employee until satisfactory. It was an extremely dry interview.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Interview

Philadelphia, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Max New York Life Insurance in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interviewer was more of a screening person to get to the real interview. (I am interviewing later in the month for the 2nd interview.) It was a very easy process, more of a get to know you. I also took a personality test while I was there. I guess it went well because they called my back two hours later. They are overly confident in the amount you will make, they promise the world. I guess the second interview could be a reality check!

Interview Question – How much do you expect to make?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Max New York Life Insurance

Worked for Max New York Life Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Max New York Life Insurance interview questions and advice. All 34 interview reviews posted anonymously by Max New York Life Insurance employees and interview candidates.