Max Planck Institute

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Max Planck Institute in July 2010.

Interview Details – Depending on group, in many cases for PhD students and master students they take pretty much everyone, not that they have much choice. I do not find useful limits on number of words, concerning interviewing process in the establishment where people loosely have any undertsanding how to interview.

Negotiation Details – You get a test project and work on it. It's hard to fail, but I saw one guy who actually did.

Stuttgart (Germany)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Max Planck Institute in January 2013.

Interview Details – I just sent an email, asking for an available PhD position in the group. And, after 2 days I was informed that I am invited for an interview with the head of the group. There were two or three routine questions that I was asked e.g. "tell me more about yourself" and "Why you like to continue your studies in this area" and "why would you like to choose this institute"? thereafter, I was informed by email that I am admitted to the program, and I can start my work immediately.

Interview Question – There was no unexpected question in my case.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The earliest date that I can start my work.
No one informed me of the salary I'm gonna get. It's always good to clarify everything, and ask it yourself.

Researcher Interview

Researcher
Cologne (Germany)

I applied online and interviewed at Max Planck Institute.

Interview Details – very open and honest system. all candidates including the internals and externals gave presentations in a seminar room together, with all present
interview process was thorough but fair

Interview Question – what is your plan 5 years on?   View Answer

PhD Student
Garching bei München (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Max Planck Institute in December 2009.

Interview Details – This strongly depends on the supervisor. In my case, an interview with her was enough to understand whether my preparation was appropriate and whether the topic of the thesis matched my interests.

Interview Question – The questions concerned my interests, so no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Postdoctoral Interview

Postdoctoral

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Max Planck Institute in November 2009.

Interview Details – Mostly it's your prior experiences and publications which are important.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Fair

Postdoctoral Fellowship Interview

Postdoctoral Fellowship

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Max Planck Institute in March 2012.

Interview Details – I made an online application. Then had a telephonic interview a week later, and was invited for a face to face interview. Before the interview I made a short presentation about my research till date, and then had a discussion with the PI and some others in the group. It was pretty informal, they were happy to answer my questions. I was told they would inform me if I was to come back for a second round, but I had no message from them at all after the interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work with this research group?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Max Planck Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Max Planck Institute interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Max Planck Institute employees and interview candidates.