Max Planck Institute Interview Questions

Updated May 13, 2014

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Max Planck Institute

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Max Planck Institute in July 2010.

Depending on group, in many cases for PhD students and master students they take pretty much everyone, not that they have much choice. I do not find useful limits on number of words, concerning interviewing process in the establishment where people loosely have any undertsanding how to interview.

You get a test project and work on it. It's hard to fail, but I saw one guy who actually did.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stuttgart (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stuttgart (Germany)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Max Planck Institute in January 2013.

I just sent an email, asking for an available PhD position in the group. And, after 2 days I was informed that I am invited for an interview with the head of the group. There were two or three routine questions that I was asked e.g. "tell me more about yourself" and "Why you like to continue your studies in this area" and "why would you like to choose this institute"? thereafter, I was informed by email that I am admitted to the program, and I can start my work immediately.

Interview Questions
    The earliest date that I can start my work.
    No one informed me of the salary I'm gonna get. It's always good to clarify everything, and ask it yourself.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cologne (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cologne (Germany)

I applied online - interviewed at Max Planck Institute.

very open and honest system. all candidates including the internals and externals gave presentations in a seminar room together, with all present
    interview process was thorough but fair

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Garching bei München (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garching bei München (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Max Planck Institute in December 2009.

This strongly depends on the supervisor. In my case, an interview with her was enough to understand whether my preparation was appropriate and whether the topic of the thesis matched my interests.

Interview Questions
    • The questions concerned my interests, so no unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase.

Postdoctoral Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Max Planck Institute in November 2009.

Mostly it's your prior experiences and publications which are important.

Fair

Postdoctoral Fellowship Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Max Planck Institute in March 2012.

I made an online application. Then had a telephonic interview a week later, and was invited for a face to face interview. Before the interview I made a short presentation about my research till date, and then had a discussion with the PI and some others in the group. It was pretty informal, they were happy to answer my questions. I was told they would inform me if I was to come back for a second round, but I had no message from them at all after the interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for Max Planck Institute? Contribute to the Community!